Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Betts may have played last game as Redskin

MattFancy

I really dont see a problem in picking up a 1st round talent RB. This team will not be fixed in one offseason. A stud RB could be a very nice building block. If we wanna go with an RB in round 4 we might wanna look at Lagarrett Blount.

But a LT would be a much much much nicer building block.

QB's and WR's improve the passing game, RB's improve the running game, but OL improves both. Building a monster OL should be priority #1.

If we traded down for two more 2nd rounders (3 total), I'd be up for using two of those on OL and one on RB.

I doubt it. Most of us said the exact same thing about Phillip Daniels and he came back. LB has got a great work ethic and is very reliable. He'll be back.

:helmet:

Daniels only tore his ACL. Betts suffered the dreaded "triad" in knee injuries, with his ACL, MCL, and surrounding ligaments torn. A lot tougher to come back fully healthy from, especially at 31 years old.

Not to mention you're talking about a DE vs a RB. A lot more cutting involved in using that knee for Betts compared to how Daniels moves.

And even using Daniels, sure he came back, but he hasn't really been doing much on the line. There's a good chance he won't be back next season either.

In all likelihood, Betts will not be a Redskin next year.

I think Shanahan will be coach and that will have a major influence on our RB personnel next year. CP will be here to stay, Betts gone and Shanny will bring in a couple of cheap FA and low draft picks.

CP was Shanny's most productive RB not named Terrell Davis. I think Shanny looks to change the running scheme and gives CP the opportunity to be successful in a familiar situation. But he'll also have CP on a short leash and Portis will know it.

Shanny didn't want to pay Portis the first time and felt he could replace him. He let him walk, but never found as productive a player. CP got his money so he should have no gripes and be excited to return to the system that made him most productive.

At the same time, if CP doesn't produce or makes a fuss, Shanny will bench him. I think Shanahan will bring back Aldridge and sign another cheap FA. He'll also get a guy in the 5th round (maybe Blount, Keiland Williams, etc?). Blount would also be on a short leash. He'll also retain Rock for his leadership, special teams ability, and flashes of success this year.

So next year, we go into camp with 5 RBs. He'll keep 4 considering how many RBs went on IR in his last season at Denver. I could see our depth chart being Clinton Portis, LeGarrette Blount, Anthony Aldridge, and Rock Cartwright. He's familiar with CP and Aldridge. Those two plus Rock are familiar with the Skins. We know he's willing to take a chance on a troubled player (Clarrett) and we also know he likes big backs that can move (Peyton Hillis, Clarrett). He likes a HB/FB hybrid type (Droughns, Mike Anderson, Hillis).

These 4 will give him a great formula for a RB by committee approach. All four will come in hungry based on their 2009 seasons. CP will have something to prove and knows that he can either have a Pro Bowl season or ruin his career under Shanny. Rock will want to prove to the new coach that this season isn't fluke. Aldridge will know that he has to try to beat out the Skins vets. And Blount will have to fight for a spot and try to win favor.

A three headed monster of Portis, Blount and Aldridge would give us the primary back, change of pace scatback and short yardage bulldozer.

RBs are pretty much a dime a dozen in the NFL. Of course if you can get a guy like Peterson you take him but there really not a high priority position. Cartwright came in and put up over 150 total yards for us and he hadn't started a game in over five years.

I really never figured out why everyone thinks good RB's are a dime a dozen. If they are, why do teams go out of their way to draft them so high? I good RB can make the life of the QB alot easier. I think teams give up on RB's too early in their career nowadays. I mean, it used to be 33, 34 when you would say they are too old. Then it went to 30. Now, RB's are being put out to pasture at 27. We wouldn't have a SB without 35 yr old Riggins. The Giants would have one less ring without Ottis Anderson. The Steelers would have only 5 rings without Bettis. Funny too that in the 70's and 80's, most RB's had to get to 20 carries to get in a groove and would end up with 30. Now, everyone is RB by committee and the most carries you see are around 20. How are these guys wearing out faster with less carries?

Archived