Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins PA announcer blunders

BHSF

Thread brings back memories of going to see the Bullets play some god awful team like the Clippers at the Cap Center back in the early 90s. It was a snowy night and thus very few people ventured out......in fact, at one point the announcer invited everyone seated in the upper seats to move down to the lower section. One of the Clippers was at the foul line and just as he was getting set to release the ball the PA guy said "Mmmmmmisssssss!" like the dude in Caddyshack. Think he was told very quickly that it wasn't cool.

That's kind of funny at least.

Funny reading all you ticket holders ripping on the PA guy, in the Media Guide there is a section dedicated to "The best gameday experience in the NFL" and one of the selling points is the PA guy. But then again they also are still touting the "jumbo" boards at the stadium too.:doh:

Page 9. Read for your amusement.

http://wai.redskins.com/redskinsFile/mediaguide/MG09-Sidelines.pdf

Funny reading all you ticket holders ripping on the PA guy, in the Media Guide there is a section dedicated to "The best gameday experience in the NFL" and one of the selling points is the PA guy.

Yeah, you really have to hear Kessler to realize how bad he is. Go to some other stadiums and compare. He sucks.

"3RD AND LOOONNNNNGGGG"

Maybe you just misheard him. Perhaps he didn't say "Is he REALLY hurt that bad" but said "Is he really hurt that bad?" and simply meant it as to another in the booth as a question to determine if he was hurt bad.

With the right inflection, and consideration of some possibly bad English, that could easily be taken to be concern.

Given I don't know the guy I would be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

The best announcer in football, hands down, is the announcer at Green Bay. Simply relays pertinent information. Kesslar is just too loud. I have met him, and he is a good dude, but too loud.

This is how Phil Hochberg (the former PA announcer) used to do it at RFK. Understated and to the point. I think, to be honest, the biggest problems with Kessler are 1) BEFORE the game when he gets on the field and tells the crowd when they should cheer and when they should be quiet (patronizing) and 2) the fact that he's not Phil Hochberg. Tough shoes to fill.

I appreciate that he might be a nice guy in person, but as our announcer he's an embarrassment.

I've taken visitors from out-of-town to games, and as soon as they hear Kessler's childish antics, they shoot me a look like they can't even believe this guy is controlling the PA at an NFL stadium.

He's condescending and irritating. A direct extension of our owner, no doubt.

Archived