Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking career change: From Collections to Car Sales

praise_gibbs

I'm thinking of completely changing careers. I currently work in collections and the money made does not equate to the hours worked. I'd much rather make a change now, at 25, than later in life when the risk is much greater. I'm thinking about going back to working in sales and to be more direct, car sales. I understand that I would be going from a guaranteed paycheck to working commission based and nothing is guaranteed.

My worry is basically this, nothing is guaranteed. I am getting married next year and I have a baby due this month. And like just about every American citizen, I have bills that need to get paid. I am 99.9% sure that a change in career is what I need at this point in my life. And with no additional schooling since HS, my options are not entirely endless. Would this 'risk' be worth it?

Obviously this is a decision that I would have to make with my fiance but, I was wondering what ES thought on this..

Have u thought about gradually moving to car sales and work part-time before you take the plunge?

It's definitely a smarter move to make. However, I work from 9a-9p 5 days a week with only one set day off a week which is Sunday. It would be tough but not completely impossible to pull off.

Make yourself the best darned collector the company has seen. Then you have all kinds of alternatives.

I work for a RTO company and there is potential to make decent coin. However, it also pulls you completely away from your family and friends. You will basically breathe, eat, and sleep RTO. The higher up the chain you go, the less and less you have for life. Sadly, this is the biggest reason that I am looking for change.

I should add that I started my professional career in collections, you learn great customer service skills and how to keep your composure under fire)

Isn't that the truth. It actually humbled me out.

Im kind of in the same boat. I currently work in collections for a mortgage company and absolutely despise it. But ive heard some horror stories about car sales. Especially with the economy the way it is now, i mean you gotta consider how many people are actually out buying cars. But if the base pay was enough then it might be a nice change of pace.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Depending on the dealership you will be working somewhere in the neighborhood of 46-50 hours a week, not counting the oddball delivery that needs to completed on your day off.

2) Most dealerships have a "draw" pay program. They pay you $XXX a week and when you get your settlement check for the previous month you pay back the draw and if there is any surplus that is your commissions.

3) Be VERY careful when choosing a dealership to work for. Do not think for a second that just because the national average says that sales for XXX manufacturer is down that you are such a great salesman that you can overcome those numbers.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Im kind of in the same boat. I currently work in collections for a mortgage company and absolutely despise it. But ive heard some horror stories about car sales. Especially with the economy the way it is now, i mean you gotta consider how many people are actually out buying cars. But if the base pay was enough then it might be a nice change of pace.
It also depends on what dealership hires you. You know that if you work at Lexus, Mercedes Benz, those cars sell themselves but working at other places, it will be struggle for sales

Naturally, there are guys who could not sell water to someone dying of thirst, and then there are ones who can sell ice to an Eskimo. Success in that field isn't really determined based on the economy, I don't think. Though, it sure as hell wouldn't hurt to have a solid economy where the American people are spending money more freely. I think if you bust your ass and study the field you are in and can take criticism and rejection, you can do just about anything.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Depending on the dealership you will be working somewhere in the neighborhood of 46-50 hours a week, not counting the oddball delivery that needs to completed on your day off.

I used to work upwards to 80 hours a week between 3 jobs for a while so I am never shy to put in hours. So long as it is possible to take time off as it is earned.

2) Most dealerships have a "draw" pay program. They pay you $XXX a week and when you get your settlement check for the previous month you pay back the draw and if there is any surplus that is your commissions.

I have studied Draw vs. Commission and it originally steered me away from a potential job in the past. This would be talked about and researched much more heavily before a decision is made.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=209434

3) Be VERY careful when choosing a dealership to work for. Do not think for a second that just because the national average says that sales for XXX manufacturer is down that you are such a great salesman that you can overcome those numbers.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

lol Thanks man! I am very confident in my abilities but, I would never act a hero and try and fix something well beyond my control.

P_G,

You have a kid on the way? Jesus, the way time flies. Weren't you just a snot-nosed kid a couple days ago? :)

As someone who very briefly was part of that car sales game, I would urge you to be very careful about jumping in totally. Now, you may very well be skilled at sales and dealing with people. But it's still a different animal!

I got a job with a "reputable" dealer in this area. During part of the interview process, we were told (I was hired with two others) that "this dealer" does things differently. We would actually be able to negotiate directly with the client, not the old game of "let me talk to my sales manager" to set the client up.

I watched one guy trying to trade in his vehicle and the sales manager said the other manager (the new cars guy) had connections in a certain area and they'd look into some to see if they could sell it there. It wasn't true, they had a game plan in mind--did they need to do that?

Another thing that upset me is that it was still winter, enormous sheets of ice were on the parking lot. We were told to make ourselves useful (but why the ___ were we dressing up in suits/ties and professional gear?) and move some cars around. I slipped on some ice but was OK. it was dangerous work climbing in and out of large F-250 type trucks (among others) on lakes of ice and I found myself wondering where the porters were...

Worst is that when moving cars to another lot, one of the new hires was told to move a particular car. The owner saw him (and didn't know that his handpicked manager had told the new guy to move this particular vehicle) and hurled obscenities at him, asking him who the ___ told him to move that ___ car?! The owner even made a joke at a later meeting that he had the reputation of being hard to work for--uh, yeah, you're a prick, that's often hard to work for...

People were also forbidden (in the new location) from putting up personal photos (even digital frame.) The owner made a big deal about running an ethical business but how can you claim to be ethical, engage in exactly the same tactics as other dealerships, and treat your employees in such a manner?

I actually got the impression that I'd have been better off at a "less reputable" business, honestly. It was a big false front and the worst part is we were held responsible for the fact that Fords weren't selling but you could sell a Honda while spewing profanity and shooting heroin in front of the customer.

If you're a man of honor, it's a difficult field to work in, IMO.

Archived