Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walterfootball.com Chiefs @ Skins breakdown

Oldskool

http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2009_06early.php

# Kansas City Chiefs (0-5) at Washington Redskins (2-3)

Line: Redskins by 6. Total: 37.5.

Walt's Projected Line (Before Week 5): Redskins -7.

Walt's Projected Line (After Week 5): Redskins -6.5.

Sunday, 1:00 ET

The Game. Edge: Redskins.

NFL Injuries: AFC Injuries | NFC Injuries

WASHINGTON OFFENSE: If the Redskins didn't suck enough, stud left tackle Chris Samuels is out for this contest. Samuels left in the first quarter of the Carolina game last week, and from then on, Washington had to use Chris Cooley as a blocker.

As you can see, it hurt the team two-fold; Jason Campbell received a downgrade in pass protection and also lost a valuable target. Unless Jim Zorn can figure something out (unlikely), Campbell won't have Cooley as a downfield target again.

Fortunately, the Redskins will be able to run the ball against the Chiefs, who rank 25th versus the rush. This will open up easy passing situations for Campbell, who won't feel much pressure from a defense that has six sacks in five games. Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El could both have a big day against a secondary that allowed Miles Austin-Jones to set a franchise record.

KANSAS CITY OFFENSE: While the Chiefs have six sacks in five games on opposing quarterbacks, Matt Cassel has been sacked 14 times in four starts. As if Cassel wasn't already challenged with his own girly arm.

The Redskins should be able to bump up that total. They have 10 sacks on the year, as Albert Haynesworth's ability to command double teams has open things up for Andre Carter (4 sacks) and Brian Orakpo (2.5 sacks in his last 3 games).

Of course, Cassel will be in long-yardage situations because the Chiefs can't run the ball. Larry Johnson couldn't even find any running room against Dallas' inept defense. The Redskins are a solid 14th versus the rush (3.9 YPC). If only Kansas City had a more talented back than Johnson... I don't know... even someone like Jamaal Charles would be a huge improvement. Yes, if the Chiefs had someone like Charles to run the ball, they'd have a better offense. Oh, wait...

RECAP: The public action on this game is amazing. I didn't think casual bettors would ever back the Chiefs like this unless they were playing the Raiders, Rams or Browns.

It's tough to lay 6.5 points with the Redskins because they have trouble scoring, but that's the side I'm going with. Kansas City had a really emotional game last week. They put everything they had into beating the Cowboys. They actually led for most of the contest, but ended up losing. I don't know how they can summon that energy again.

The Psychology. Edge: Redskins.

The Chiefs put everything they had into that Cowboys game. They led for most of the contest, but came up short at the very end. I don't see how they can come back from that here.

The Vegas. Edge: Redskins.

LOL at the public backing the Chiefs.

# Percentage of money on Kansas City: 93% (11,000 bets)

The Trends. Edge: Chiefs.

# Chiefs are 17-9 ATS in October since 2002.

# Chiefs are 11-7 ATS as a road underdog since 2007.

# Redskins are 2-8 ATS as favorites under Jim Zorn.

# Jason Campbell is 1-6 ATS as a favorite of 6.5 or more.

# Opening Line: Redskins -6.5.

# Opening Total: 37.

# Weather: .

# For more trends, check out the Gaming Matchups or the Expanded NFL Analysis.

Week 6 NFL Pick: Redskins 20, Chiefs 6

Redskins -6 (2 Units)

Under 37.5 (.5 Units)

Archived