Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assuming we have another Coach, why a retread?

Hal2856

I've been listening to 980 and the latest rumor centers around Gruden. Of course the $64 million question is would he come here.

Whoever Danny may be targeting, chances are they'll be other jobs opening up as well, such as the Panthers, perhaps Cowboys, perhaps Chargers, Bills, Browns, & Texans. Except for Dallas, each of those teams have owners/FO's that support the coach and and the owner stays out of the way. In other words, a really qualified up and coming coach or one of the "retreads" would probably find each of those jobs more appealing than working for Danny.

To me, the coach isn't the most important part of this. A competent GM/player personnel guy has to be hired, a really good scouting department has to be put in place, Danny has to stay out of the way, and the philosophy of this entire organization has to be set, and everyone has to be on the same page including the coach who is hired. It's pretty simple: scout and draft the right players, and find a competent coach who will design a scheme around the talent of those players rather than bringing a system in and shoving it down the players throats. One (of many) case and points: Kelly, Thomas & Davis are drafted in the 2nd round last year, and don't seem to fit what Jim Zorn, the COACH, wants to do. Thus they don't fit the system and appear to be wasted picks.

The model to look at (among many) are the Skins of the 80's: Bobby Beatherd as GM, Joe Gibbs as coach, and a great scouting department that led to building the entire OL, Art Monk, DG, and finding young, inexpensive talent through free agency such as Gary Clark.

You know listening to the broadcast last night when they were talking about Bill Callahan, I thought why couldn't we get somebody like that. Gruden sure seemed to like the guy and I'm not sure how much of a fair shake he got in Oakland. If not Callahan, then at least a guy who's been coordinator for a while and not just a positional coach. I mean, do some homework, get some references and consider all the possiblities. See if there's a coach that believes one of his guys would make a good HC. It doesn't absolutely have to be a guy who's been a head coach before? It doesn't have to be a guy who's been to the Super Bowl before, does it?

Archived