Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DeAnelo Hall's Crawl-Tackle Technique

[S.S.F. | Nero]

I would still take Springs over Hall.

We all knew Hall was going to cost a fortune and why take a gamble on someone who has yet to prove they are worth where they were drafted and got cut midway through the season in Oakland?

Springs at least could be signed to a one year deal and buy us time to find another corner that could eventually replace him. That way we would be getting a better corner for less money and we could buy time to find a good replacement.

Unfortunately we've dug ourselves a hole by jumping the gun too soon on Hall and realizing this guy made a few nice plays last year, but still has fundamental problems in coverage.

How can he do that if he's not healthy enough to get on the field?

Brah, the people who said they miss Springs were probably among the people constantly complaining about him not being healthy enough to get on the field. And nobody was complaining about D. Hall when he was playing fairly well last season.

Why don't you let the season progress a little bit before you say that the team or some it's players are terrible...

And I was using London for that exact reason...In the event that he does disappoint any of the fans on here for a game or two then they will say we should have traded him in the offseason...There's nothing but knee jerk reactions on here...

Deangelo made some nice plays last year but you could tell (for example on the INT he made against the Cowboys) he is still severely lacking in coverage skills.

I'm only going off of what I've seen from him and he has the same fundamental problems that plagued him in Oakland and Atlanta. What makes you think he's suddenly going to turn around and play better considering he didn't have a good game against one of the NFL's worst.

Your comparison with London is still stupid. Comparing two completely different players, different ages, different positions, different career accolades, ect. makes the argument moot.

Why don't you let the season progress a little bit before you say that the team or some it's players are terrible...

Why dont you let us know how many games we need to play until we can criticize a player. I guess you should get a free pass against Laurent Robinson and Mario Manningham.

Deangelo made some nice plays last year but you could tell (for example on the INT he made against the Cowboys) he is still severely lacking in coverage skills.

I'm only going off of what I've seen from him and he has the same fundamental problems that plagued him in Oakland and Atlanta. What makes you think he's suddenly going to turn around and play better considering he didn't have a good game against one of the NFL's worst.

Your comparison with London is still stupid. Comparing two completely different players, different ages, different positions, different career accolades, ect. makes the argument moot.

Christ, are you kidding me still talking about London? I was talking about how this fanbase has recently begun turning on it's players after a few bad games...There's been talk about how terrible Landry, Santana, Portis and Hall are and how they should be released or traded...

You probably want Leigh Torrence back to at this point huh?

Brah, the people who said they miss Springs were probably among the people constantly complaining about him not being healthy enough to get on the field. And nobody was complaining about D. Hall when he was playing fairly well last season.

And I was using London for that exact reason...In the event that he does disappoint any of the fans on here for a game or two then they will say we should have traded him in the offseason...There's nothing but knee jerk reactions on here...

Dude, your Fletcher comparison is way off. Hall had that Brandon Lloyd/Adam Archuletta feel to it for a lot of Skins fans from the get go. The guy has been getting torched his whole career. He'll get some pics, but he'll cost us a TD a game, which is exactly what he's cost us so far. That whiff tackle on the rookie receiver in NY was the lamest attempt at a tackle I've ever seen. Hall is like Deion, minus the shut down coverage and about half of the pics, which leaves you a corner that can make some pics but is scared to tackle.

Dude, your Fletcher comparison is way off. Hall had that Brandon Lloyd/Adam Archuletta feel to it for a lot of Skins fans from the get go. The guy has been getting torched his whole career. He'll get some pics, but he'll cost us a TD a game, which is exactly what he's cost us so far. That whiff tackle on the rookie receiver in NY was the lamest attempt at a tackle I've ever seen. Hall is like Deion, minus the shut down coverage and about half of the pics, which leaves you a corner that can make some pics but is scared to tackle.

Okay, I must have had to clarify that as a joke man...I was talking about how the fanbase will turn on ANYBODY on this team at the drop of a hat...

And, be honest...Hall has never had a B. Lloyd/Archuletta feel to him...They were both absolutely terrible for us haha...Hall hasn't been great, but he doesn't deserve to be Deangelo Archuletta...

Okay, I must have had to clarify that as a joke man...I was talking about how the fanbase will turn on ANYBODY on this team at the drop of a hat...

And, be honest...Hall has never had a B. Lloyd/Archuletta feel to him...They were both absolutely terrible for us haha...Hall hasn't been great, but he doesn't deserve to be Deangelo Archuletta...

No question you're right about some fans having knee-jerk reactions, but Hall definitely feels like an overpaid bust to me. Hopefully I'm wrong. He has been terrible in his first 2 games. He wasn't exactly great for us last year. He got the pics, but he also got torched a few times.

I think he had some "right place at the right time" pics last year and cashed in on it. I would have much rather kept Springs and rotated Smoot in for the 5 games Springs would have missed.

No question you're right about some fans having knee-jerk reactions, but Hall definitely feels like an overpaid bust to me. Hopefully I'm wrong. He has been terrible in his first 2 games. He wasn't exactly great for us last year. He got the pics, but he also got torched a few times.

I think he had some "right place at the right time" pics last year and cashed in on it. I would have much rather kept Springs and rotated Smoot in for the 5 games Springs would have missed.

I can definitely agree with you here about Hall...Regardless of what he does for the rest of his career as a Redskin he more than likely will never play up to his contract. I'm just not ready to say that this guy is absolutely terrible and that I wish he wasn't on our team so quickly.

Me personally, I'm not a big Smoot fan and I wouldn't trust Springs' health enough to rely on him as a starter for another season...

My buddy's co-worker is a huge Oakland fan, and he was saying that DeAngelo was saying all of the same things when he was signed to Oakland:

"I'm happy to be here."

"I've had a reawakening after leaving Atlanta."

etc, etc, et-frickin'-cetera.....

Here's all you need to know about D.Hall23...

This article was written before last season....

From Sal Palantonio:

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Updated: April 20, 6:32 PM ET

Raiders will regret spending millions on 'average' Hall

By Sal Paolantonio

ESPN.com

nfl_u_hall2_580.jpg

Don't be fooled by DeAngelo Hall's two Pro Bowl selections, writes Sal Paolantonio. Hall has a bloated sense of self-worth and is prone to making costly mistakes -- both mental and physical.

The NFL's new math is mind-boggling: $80 million for Nate Clements, $59.5 million for Asante Samuel, $70 million for DeAngelo Hall.

What do those three players have in common besides a bank account now flush with cash? They are all cornerbacks.

And as pro football's offseason transitions from free agency to the draft, paying that kind of unprecedented dough for that position is at the heart of an increasingly contentious debate. So, let's leap into this argument. Here's the question: Is the never-ending quest for the next great cover corner often paved with fool's gold? Here's the answer: Yes. Let's take the latest example.

The Oakland Raiders have won only 19 games over the past five seasons. Since 1990, the only other team to win fewer than 20 games in a five-season span was the Bengals, who won 19 from 1998 to 2002, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. What was the Raiders' biggest problem in 2007? They couldn't stop the run. The defense allowed 4.8 yards per rush last season, worst in the league. It was the highest average ever allowed by an Al Davis team. So what did Oakland do? With Warren Sapp retiring, the Raiders signed Giants defensive tackle William Joseph -- but mostly for depth. Their biggest free-agent pursuit was a cornerback: Hall, who ran himself out of Atlanta. In a trade, the Falcons got second- and fifth-round draft picks from the Raiders, who promptly made Hall a very rich man. And what did the Raiders get? One of the most overrated defensive backs in recent league history. One of the great "SportsCenter" highlights of Hall's career is from a game against the Steelers in 2006. You remember that -- when Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward sprinted past Hall for a spectacular 70-yard touchdown catch and run. What's so remarkable about that play? Ward was missing one shoe.

nfl_g_ward_300.jpg

DeAngelo Hall (left) had trouble keeping up with Pittsburgh's Hines Ward (86) during this game in 2006.

And that play was unusual.

Most opposing receivers beat Hall deep while still wearing both shoes.

Hall, who has been to two Pro Bowls, possesses many of the qualities great cornerbacks have. Great speed. Remarkable athleticism. Terrific leaping ability. Huge ego. "I always feel like I'm the best guy out there," Hall once said. "When a guy catches a pass, it almost seems like luck to me. If a guy makes another catch, I'm like, 'Two? How did that happen?'"

In reality, Hall is an average cornerback who takes needless chances, gives up a staggering number of big plays, has never helped his team win anything and wore out his welcome with the franchise that drafted him in just four years. "Everybody pumps him up like he's Deion Sanders," Lions receiver Roy Williams said. "But he's not Deion Sanders. He's DeAngelo Hall. He's not the shutdown type of corner that everybody expects him to be."

In three of Hall's four seasons in Atlanta, the Falcons ranked 22nd or worse in pass defense, and only once did they manage a winning season: in his rookie year (2004), when he was a part-time starter. So don't expect Hall's presence to improve the Raiders' pass defense dramatically in 2008. But don't blame Hall for the folly of his contract. If the Raiders want to pay him $70 million, Hall should take every penny. However, there is plenty of evidence that throwing good money at mediocre cornerbacks destroys teams' salary caps and does not improve their pass defense... You can cover all day, but if you can't rush the passer, you're not going to win in today's NFL.

The New York Giants proved that. Did you watch their Super Bowl XLII victory over the New England Patriots ?

In case you were one of the few Americans who missed it, that was indeed the most prolific offense in NFL history shut down by Steve Spagnuolo's defense. And guess what? Spags had no shutdown corners. So, it didn't take big-name corners with big contracts to shut down Randy Moss and the most productive passing game in the history of pro football.

In the past five years, the head of league officiating, Mike Pereira, has made calling defensive pass interference and defensive holding downfield a point of emphasis -- thus diminishing the effectiveness of cover corner play.

Which brings us back to Oakland and the decision to sign Hall to a megadeal.

Nobody has been better at marketing himself than Hall. However, a quick look at Hall's impact in his four years with Atlanta tells a different story:

Saints-Falcons, Nov. 26, 2006: In the final seconds of the first half, Drew Brees unloaded a Hail Mary toward the New Orleans end zone. Hall was in position to knock the ball down and prevent a touchdown, but instead tried for a needless interception to pad his stats. He missed. And Saints reserve Terrance Copper came down with the football and a 48-yard touchdown that turned a 14-6 lead into a spirit-crushing 21-6 advantage as the first half ended. The Saints went on to win 31-13.

"I was being kind of lazy," Hall explained after the game.

Then there was the Falcons-Panthers game this past September. The Falcons had lost their first two games of the season but led Carolina 17-10 late in the third quarter. They had outgained the Panthers by more than 200 yards and were on the brink of salvaging their season with a win. But as Hall left the field before a Carolina fourth down, his trash-talking with Panthers receiver Steve Smith got so out of control that Hall was flagged for taunting -- his third penalty, for a tally of 67 yards lost in 82 seconds.

What was Hall saying to Smith?

"I've been in as many Pro Bowls as you; I make more money than you," Smith said. "Just real immature stuff."

The Panthers -- thanks to the fresh set of downs -- scored a touchdown two plays later, then another before the quarter was over, eventually winning 27-20. "You have to try to control yourself," Falcons teammate Warrick Dunn said.

On the final day of the 2006 season, the Falcons' hapless secondary was torched for a career-high 324 yards and three TDs by Eagles backup quarterback A.J. Feeley.

Hall didn't spend much time covering anybody that day, but he certainly made an impression on Eagles receiver Donte' Stallworth.

"He called me a bum," Stallworth said. "He kept saying he's been to two Pro Bowls and I haven't been to any. Well, this bum is going to be in the playoffs next week while that two-time Pro Bowler is out on the golf course."

------------------------------------

He's a poor player in so many ways. At least Springs would stick his nose into a play instead of dropping down on all fours and trying to tackle everyone by their ankles.

DHall = Afraid

Normally I'd agree with you in principal. Skins fans are the most reactionary fans in football and I stick to that.

But DHall has not impressed me at all. I think I'm bothered by the fact that he isn't even close to playing for his contract at this point. If he was still a league minimum guy he'd be a great value; but we gave up a ton for this guy. And now, as a result, we probably won't resign our best corner - Carlos Rogers.

As Chad OchoCinco called him, DeAngelo FALL.

Keep in mind the Raiders didn't want him. The Skins would have been much better served spending $27 mill each on two really good players instead of $54 for an overrated, mediocre prema donna who's a liability at CB.

On a side note, Carlos Rogers has been outstanding in both games so far imo.

We have one tough, gritty corner (Rogers), one flashy ball hawker (Hall) and one solid vet at nickel (Smoot.) All 3 have their shortcomings. Rogers can't catch, Hall can't tackle and Smoot can't run, but as a unit they make me feel secure. No depth though. One of those guys goes down and we're in deep shoe polish.

Um. Smoot wasn't playing on Sunday and Tryon filling in actually looked pretty decent. Frankly, he was at least as good as Smoot has been looking.

I'm not as worried about depth as I am about Deangelo's "coverage."

Yeah, nevermind the fact that London has played lights out for 2 years in a row now and who never disappoints. Everybody warned us about Dhall being damaged goods at this point, and we all drank the cool-aid.

Jesus Christ. I agree we paid too much for him, but you act like he's terrible, which he's not.

He's not played to my expectations either, but get real. It's magnified because we have C-Los shutiing it down on the other side.

Jesus Christ. I agree we paid too much for him, but you act like he's terrible, which he's not.

He's not played to my expectations either, but get real. It's magnified because we have C-Los shutiing it down on the other side.

The stats aren't out yet, but I'd say he's been abused pretty regularly the past two games. Not to mention he hasn't shown any ability to willingly make the first sure tackle on a guy.

Doesn't sound like much, but you also have to consider it was the same story in Oakland, and the same story in Atlanta, and yet on top of that, we paid him 50 million for all of this.

Angering Rogers in the process, who is far and away our best corner and one of our best players period.

So the damage Hall is inflicting on the team is pretty widespread right now I'd say.

The stats aren't out yet, but I'd say he's been abused pretty regularly the past two games. Not to mention he hasn't shown any ability to willingly make the first sure tackle on a guy.

Doesn't sound like much, but you also have to consider it was the same story in Oakland, and the same story in Atlanta, and yet on top of that, we paid him 50 million for all of this.

Angering Rogers in the process, who is far and away our best corner and one of our best players period.

So the damage Hall is inflicting on the team is pretty widespread right now I'd say.

Id say he had a horrible game in NY and not a great game vs. the Rams, but its early. He played much better last year so Im not so willing to give up on him.

Your Rogers talk is all speculative. I havent heard or seen anything out of Rogers that implies he's 'angered'. If indeed we fail to resign Rogers, it will be a problem, but I dont believe we'll let him walk. So until that happens, Im not gonna worry about it, and it doesnt appear C-Los is either. Feel free to join the club.

Man people on here just want to be negative for the sake of it. Funny how not one person mentions the fact that without Halls int and return last week we wouldnt of had one point in the first half. Funny how no one mentions thats when Jackson broke off his 40 yard run that was easily about to be a touchdown Hall walked him down from the oppisite side of the field forceing someone to block him in the back..and he still made the play. Hall makes plays...thats what he has done his whole career..and thats what this defense has been missing. bad enough we dont have play makers on offense defense or special teams now you guys want to get rid of hall too. If you are going to break down every time Hall makes a bad play break down all the good ones too. You guys say he doesnt tackle anyone yet as a cornerback he is fourth on the team in tackles. And what a surprise he is the only person on the team with a INT/

Man people on here just want to be negative for the sake of it. Funny how not one person mentions the fact that without Halls int and return last week we wouldnt of had one point in the first half. Funny how no one mentions thats when Jackson broke off his 40 yard run that was easily about to be a touchdown Hall walked him down from the oppisite side of the field forceing someone to block him in the back..and he still made the play. Hall makes plays...thats what he has done his whole career..and thats what this defense has been missing. bad enough we dont have play makers on offense defense or special teams now you guys want to get rid of hall too. If you are going to break down every time Hall makes a bad play break down all the good ones too. You guys say he doesnt tackle anyone yet as a cornerback he is fourth on the team in tackles. And what a surprise he is the only person on the team with a INT/

The only reason Hall got that interception was because he was bailed out when Laron Landry made a "real" football play on a pass thrown to the guy Hall was supposed to be covering. It's all on tape. Hall just happened to be at the right place and the right time to catch the tipped ball that Laron created. *He was at the right place because he got worked on the coverage by the WR and he was late getting back to the ball* If I'm not mistaken, a good number of the INTs he had for the Skins last year, were of the same "right place, right time" type.

As far as the Jackson run, it proves only one thing, DHall is faster than Steven Jackson.... but I would be willing to bet a week's pay that if Steven Jackson had been running straight at DHall, that DHall would have tried to tackle him by his ankles, and that Jackson would have easily sidestepped him or hurdled right over him.

We've already seen it happen a handful of times in just 2 games. It shouldn't happen a handful of times over an entire season if you ask me.

We have one tough, gritty corner (Rogers), one flashy ball hawker (Hall) and one solid vet at nickel (Smoot.) All 3 have their shortcomings. Rogers can't catch, Hall can't tackle and Smoot can't run, but as a unit they make me feel secure. No depth though. One of those guys goes down and we're in deep shoe polish.

I think Tryon filled in alright. At least he didn't get abused like in the early preseason.

Archived