Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any National Board Certified Teachers here?

MissU28

I received an email today that said that my district will pay for (grant) $2000 of the $2565 fee it costs to apply to become a National Board Certified teacher. Now, I had thought about doing this in the past, but the price tag deterred me from it.

Now, according to the website and the email that was sent to me, the benefits of becoming National Board Certified are:

Meets most states' definition of "highly qualified teacher" under NCLB

Strengthens teaching practice

Improves students' learning according to a vast majority of research

Advances teaching careers

Increases financial opportunities in many states and districts

Provides a portable teaching license in most states

Contributes to CEU/re-certification requirements in some states

It is a lot of work, including numerous portfolios and video taping lessons and meetings...so I'm hoping I find someone here that is Nationally Board Certified to see if it is worth it! I would still have to pay $565.

I do think I know one woman who is a NBC teacher, so I will try and get info from her, but anyone here know more about it?

What does the certification mean? You can take your credentials across state lines and instantly meet all criteria for a job? Or does your school district have to give you a higher salary?

From the cde.ca.gov website (California's):

A National Board certificate attests that a teacher was judged by his or her peers as one who is accomplished, makes sound professional judgments about students, and acts effectively on those judgments. It allows teachers to gauge their skills and knowledge against objective, peer-developed standards of advanced practice. Offered on a voluntary basis, National Board certification complements, but does not replace, state licensing. While state licensing systems set entry-level standards for novice teachers, National Board certification establishes advanced standards for experienced teachers.

National Board certification raises the quality of the teaching profession. It creates a high standard for the profession and the process itself offers high quality professional development. It is based on teacher self-reflection and inquiry, linked to the teacher's own teaching situation and practice. Accomplished teachers form the core of the teaching profession. Their knowledge and leadership are central to any effort to educate each of our students to high academic standards. The NBPTS has confirmed with the U.S. Department of Education that NBCTs do meet the definition of a "highly qualified teacher" as defined in the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB).

I am not sure if I would get paid more, but I do think that I would be able to go to any state and receive that state's license/credential right away.

Archived