Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: One last look

JimmiJo

http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=872

One last look

By John Pappas

Warpath Confidential Editor

Final roster cuts are due this Saturday and all NFL teams must get down to 53 players. The Redskins currently have 75 players on their roster and will need to cut 22.

With one last preseason game tomorrow night, Redskins’ players seeking a spot have one final opportunity to make their case. Here are 11 who have a chance, but need a good showing to secure a spot.

Chase Daniel, quarterback – Daniel had a very impressive outing against Pittsburgh. Still, he is running a more simplified version of the offense. And Colt Brennan’s near perfect 33-yard touchdown strike to Marko Mitchell didn’t help matters. In order to make the decision tough for Coach Zorn, Daniel will need to be as impressive as his last game.

Marcus Mason, running back – Mason in an impressive runner. This was evident last Friday against New England when Mason was able to be effective playing with the starters, gaining 30 yards on 8 carries with 1 touchdown. It is said that Mason’s issues revolve around the things he does when he does not have the ball; pass protection particularly. Mason needs to have an impressive outing against the Jaguars to keep momentum on his side.

Anthony Alridge, running back – Alridge is one of the fastest guys on the team, and one of the most dangerous when he gets the ball in his hands. The trouble is getting the ball in his hands. Alridge has had issues fumbling in camp. He has a shot though, and it lies in convincing special teams coach Danny Smith he can help on returns. Alridge needs a big game tomorrow on returns and in rush opportunities. He has a chance because of his speed and ability to run the ball.

Click the link to read the entire article...

I really hope that Daniel has a good game. He has more upside than Colt. Its true that Daniel hasn't played much, but he showed me pocket awareness. He can move. I don't care how short he is. He can play.

Alridge? The Skins can afford to cut this guy. He is a home run threat, that has been missing for a long time. There is a reason why the players call him "quick six."

Mason needs to be on the roster. The knock against him is that he can't block. TEACH HIM!!!! He has had a nice camp. Runs harder than Betts. Lets be for real. Mason did a nice job with the first stringer the other night.

I really hope that Daniel has a good game. He has more upside than Colt. Its true that Daniel hasn't played much, but he showed me pocket awareness. He can move. I don't care how short he is. He can play.

imo his height should not event be a concern. But I totally agree about Chase. He looked good when he played and that was with few reps. I wonder what he could do with regular reps.

Wish we could work it out to keep both young QB's. Collins is old will be 39 this year. Probably won't be back next year. Campbell's contract is up, we may not sign him or he may not sign with us, who knows. Than that leaves Daniels left. A possible scenario next year which could mean drafting another QB.

I think Alridge might make it over Mason. Mason is a good runner, but he's just a poor man's Clinton Portis. Thing is, we already have a poor man's Clinton Portis in Betts.

I have thought about this scenario too. Rock and Betts both run similarly to CP and Mason does the same. But Alridge gives some explosiveness that would be nice to see from this offence.

Archived