Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFL extends Rooney Rule to top executive roles

isle-hawg

Part of the problem with that though is that those middle middle class white males who won't snag the scholarships or government help because their parents make too much and they aren't minorities still can't afford the really good schools then. If those upper middle class white males are already going to their local state college then I want to help them go to an ivy league or a private school. I don't mean this INSTEAD of helping minorities go to college at all, but rather that the two should be equal. Each is equally important in my mind.

I realize that you might have just been making the point and that you don't necessarily buy into it yourself. I hope I don't seem like I'm attacking you but rather just the line of thinking which you presented.

I agree with this. There is always an assumption that white people are automatically in the "upper" middle class. I couldn't afford to go to a school like Marquette because my parents couldn't afford it, so I had to go to Memphis State because that was the one out of state tuition my parents could afford. I got a good education and I'm a pround Memphis alum, but I may be doing better today if I was able to go to a better school. My parents made "too" much money, yet I know to this day back in 1986 that our household income was less than 40K a year.

I agree with this. There is always an assumption that white people are automatically in the "upper" middle class. I couldn't afford to go to a school like Marquette because my parents couldn't afford it, so I had to go to Memphis State because that was the one out of state tuition my parents could afford. I got a good education and I'm a pround Memphis alum, but I may be doing better today if I was able to go to a better school. My parents made "too" much money, yet I know to this day back in 1986 that our household income was less than 40K a year.

There are now waves of affirmative action supporters who have said it's time to shift to a income-based model. Part of me thinks it's getting close to that time, but other parts of me think the disparity in opportunity among races is too great to ignore.

In any case, research has universally shown that the predominant beneficiary of affirmative action policies have been white women.

Archived