Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NJ Jets looking for help at QB

AJWatson3

from Insider:

New York Jets: QB Akili Smith passed a physical Monday and met with offensive coordinator Paul Hackett at Weeb Ewbank Hall. Smith will meet today with Herm Edwards and Terry Bradway before flying off to visit the Packers. "Coach Hackett seems to think he can bring out my talent," Smith told the New York Post. Hackett, who specializes in the West Coast offense, would have a willing student in Smith. "I ran the West Coast before; I like the West Coast," Smith said. "The biggest thing we talked about was getting comfortable in the system and making it work for me."

just poor enought to grab your best WR, your best ST player, your starting kicker (how are Doug Brien and Danny Kight working out??), and the best FA lineman on the market! what a shame to be so poor...

and to think next year we will keep lavar and champ!

:notworthy HAIL TO THE REDSKINS :notworthy

NYC-the only memories anyone has of your beloved jets is a certain fake spike(i know u still wake up screaming) play by marino.he embarressed u too no end....:doh: it couldn't happen to a better team

& your starting to remind me of "mr.hand" from southpark the way u follow flow & gangreen around.SAD

I saw this on ESPN's site regarding Smith in with the Jests

Sometimes you have to take a step back, Akili Smith acknowledged Monday evening, to begin moving your career forward again. Having been viewed previously in his career as a franchise savior, a quarterback expected to raise the fortunes of the Cincinnati Bengals, the former first-round draft choice is now seeking salvation himself.

"If there is one thing the (Cincinnati) experience taught me," said Smith, the third player chosen overall in the 1999 draft, "it's that this is a process. It doesn't happen overnight. I'm not saying that, this time around, I'll be starting from the ground up. But I do need to begin over again with some things and to get to a situation where I can learn."

Smith

That probably means going to a training camp this summer as the No. 3 quarterback on some team's depth chart, a prospect that might never have occurred to Smith a year or so ago, but one with which he is now in full agreement.

Smith, 27, began visiting with teams Monday in a venue appropriate for auditions, as he met in New York with Jets officials and coaches. After a second round of interviews on Tuesday with the Jets, he will fly to Green Bay later in the evening, and he probably will huddle with New Orleans officials toward the end of the week.

There have been reports that the Saints, one of the first teams to contact Smith after his release, have offered a two-year contract. Seattle and Miami also indicated some interest but the Seahawks have not arranged a visit yet and the Dolphins ceased to be a possibility after they signed Brian Griese to a two-year contract.

Despite his lack of success in Cincinnati, where the Bengals invested about $12 million in four years and got only 17 starts out of Smith, the interest in him around the league is not too surprising. It is not atypical in the NFL for a high-round draft choice, released by his original team, to get a second or even a third chance. That is particularly the case at the quarterback position, where teams are always seeking young talents, and where the degree of curiosity is usually heightened.

The Packers didn't even have a first-round grade on Smith prior to the 1999 draft, for instance, but they still want to get a first-hand evaluation of him now.

"He's got a strong arm, and he's athletic, so you kind of owe it to yourself to take a look at him," said Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie.

None of the teams interested in Smith even has a No. 2 job available for him. But that isn't the only common denominator. All the teams seem to feel there is a chance that, with superior coaching and more nurturing, Smith might yet develop into the player the Bengals felt they were getting in 1999. A Jets coach noted Monday that quarterbacks are "notorious late-bloomers" and pointed out that Smith still had sufficient tools to merit a second shot at success.

Despite his travails in Cincinnati, where he registered an anemic quarterback efficiency rating of just 52.8, Smith isn't prepared to merely purge the four-year experience from his memory bank. Instead it will serve as a sort of cracked foundation for what lies ahead and, in a sense, as motivation to someday fulfill his potential.

But to do that, Smith knows, means putting his career in reverse before perhaps going again into overdrive. He said the four years with the Bengals took an "emotional toll" on him but suggested he is a stronger person for having survived with his confidence intact.

"I'm more mature, mentally tougher now, and probably more realistic," Smith said. "The key now is to get to a winning situation, but also a place where I'll be coached properly, and have a chance to some day accomplish the things I know are possible for me. Taking a step back, sometimes it gives you a better (perspective), and I'm counting on that."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

just poor enought to grab your best WR, your best ST player, your starting kicker (how are Doug Brien and Danny Kight working out??), and the best FA lineman on the market! what a shame to be so poor...

This is why this place is so hilarious, not only did you overpay for all 4 but it will all amount to another 7-9 season, congrats. You all seem to forget your best player on offense (Davis) is gone and your best player on defense last year (Gardner) is gone, no big deal though :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by NYC

This is why this place is so hilarious, not only did you overpay for all 4 but it will all amount to another 7-9 season, congrats. You all seem to forget your best player on offense (Davis) is gone and your best player on defense last year (Gardner) is gone, no big deal though :laugh: :laugh:

So if we do finish at 7-9 as you say, that would put us what, one game better that the 6-10 mark the Jets will finish in 2003?

Originally posted by NYC

With Rob Johnson as your back-up you're the ones who should be, oh yah you don't have any money left :laugh:

GREAT comeback NYC. :laugh:

I wasn't aware that bum was the 'skins backup qb, man, they better hope nothing happens to Ramsey.

Rob Johnson... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Chop the mullet pull off the acid wash jeans and join the rest of us in the year 2003. Your glory 80's are long gone and as long as little Danny Fantasy football owner is in D.C. your run of mediocrity and cap hell will continue :laugh:

Originally posted by NYC

Chop the mullet pull off the acid wash jeans and join the rest of us in the year 2003. Your glory 80's are long gone and as long as little Danny Fantasy football owner is in D.C. your run of mediocrity and cap hell will continue :laugh:

And the jets are cap geniouses? If I recall they put up all their best players to be availible to the expantion Texans, then they didn't have enought $ to resign all their to FA and got pissed at us for signing them for what they are worth. And it's still not over, you're in a squeeze to try to resign Pennington and Abraham after this season.

Parcells left the cap mess not Bradway. Marcus Colem,an & Ryan Young were our best players? :laugh: Aaron Glenn was the only good player we lost.

When will you realize if you hadn't given Cole$ Randy Moss money (brilliant move) he'd be a Jet, if you didn't give a KR and absurd contact he'd be a Jet.

Jets are fine with their cap, your doomsday is on it's way, enjoy :pint:

I guess like this offseason you'll just let your best offensive & defensive players from the past season walk and you'll fit all nice and snuggly under the cap, brilliant thinking :laugh:

Davis & Gardner are easily replaced by Candidate & Noble :laugh:

when u have someone that knows the insides of the cap.

Who Mr.Fantasy Football :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Everyone who knows football said your boy overpaid for all those guys, the fact that Bradway didn't match those absurd contracts shows he knows what the hell he's doing, every other GM in the league who'd have let them walk for those outrageous contract :laugh: Please stop you're making yourself look foolish.

obviously u think because your going/gone through cap hell that WE have too.remember the raiders last yr..50mil over & they lost s.adams & j.ritchie.big deal........

I guess like this offseason you'll just let your best offensive & defensive players from the past season walk and you'll fit all nice and snuggly under the cap, brilliant thinking

Davis & Gardner are easily replaced by Candidate & Noble

=========================================

were they our best players last yr????betts & watson easily outperformed davis overall..& gardener was arguably our best player last season on D.U could also make a point for bailey & arrington.

1 more point to your theory.we dumped davis & gardener who are both 39ish,for much younger talent that hasn't peeked yet,& in 3-5 yrs when there contracts r up they won't be on the downside of there careers.quite the contrary.they will still have quality yrs in them & will remember how dannyboy took care of them.he takes care of everybody if he wants too.the players don't hate him the media & other fans do.i think they call it jealousy...

:laugh: :laugh:

Archived