Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Giants Targeting Heyward-Bey

RenegadeTK

My only problem with the Barden pick is where is he going to fit in in his first year? Will he be able to help on special teams? If he needs work, and won't be able to see the field for a while, which current WR do they let go?

Assuming the Giants keep 6 WR, Moss or Tyree will most likely not make the cut. Of course, an injury could allow one of them to stick around. Also, with WRs when they say a guy "needs" work, it usually means they can play situationally, they just arent' ready for the full playbook. Specific plays/routes can be mastered and the rookie could contribute. At 6'6", Barden could be a nice red-zone option for the Giants (which Reese specifically mentioned).

Assuming the Giants keep 6 WR, Moss or Tyree will most likely not make the cut. Of course, an injury could allow one of them to stick around. Also, with WRs when they say a guy "needs" work, it usually means they can play situationally, they just arent' ready for the full playbook. Specific plays/routes can be mastered and the rookie could contribute. At 6'6", Barden could be a nice red-zone option for the Giants (which Reese specifically mentioned).

The giants could keep 7 WRs this year (at least I hope so). Have 1 kicker instead of the 2 they carried at times last year. 3 TEs, 1 FB, 4 RB. Last year they only had 2 QBs on the roster (woodson was PS) so anything is possible.

The giants could keep 7 WRs this year (at least I hope so). Have 1 kicker instead of the 2 they carried at times last year. 3 TEs, 1 FB, 4 RB. Last year they only had 2 QBs on the roster (woodson was PS) so anything is possible.

They drafted another QB, so I'm assuming that will even out with the kicker situation we had last year. They can't keep 7 wide receivers unless they drop a defensive player from last year, and given that they already have 8 or 9 defensive linemen, I question whether they'll even be able to keep 6 wide receivers.

They drafted another QB, so I'm assuming that will even out with the kicker situation we had last year. They can't keep 7 wide receivers unless they drop a defensive player from last year, and given that they already have 8 or 9 defensive linemen, I question whether they'll even be able to keep 6 wide receivers.

They could go with 2 active QB's again, cutting woodson and putting the rookie on the PS. At this point it is way to early to tell. Training camp injuries are the major wildcard.

They could go with 2 active QB's again, cutting woodson and putting the rookie on the PS. At this point it is way to early to tell. Training camp injuries are the major wildcard.

While that would be nice, if Bomar looks good in training camp and in pre-season, he won't last on the practice squad. Plus, Tom Coughlin mentioned the other day in his presser that Woodsen's been working his tail off, so I just have a gut feeling they're going to keep 3 on the roster.

There will, however, be 1 less running back(Rueben Droughns), and after last year, I'm sure that position will be taken by an extra defensive lineman. And I believe we have 9 linebackers on our roster that are all worthy of sticking, but I'm sure one's going to have to get cut. I guess these are good problems to have.

oak.gif

Oakland Raiders

Picks: WR Darrius Heyward-Beyp_note.gif, S Michael Mitchellp_note.gif, DE Matt Shaughnessyp_note.gif, WR Louis Murphyp_note.gif, DE Slade Norrisp_note.gif, DE Stryker Sulakp_note.gif, TE Brandon Myersp_note.gif.

Positives: Speed with Heyward-Bey and Mitchell.

Negatives: Two gigantic reaches with Heyward-Bey and Mitchell.

Bottom line: F.

This draft is another cry for help by the Raiders as they keep taking players based on outdated theories about what works in the NFL. While wide receivers and defensive backs are still important, they must be complete players. Neither Heyward-Bey nor Mitchell are anything close to complete. At best, Heyward-Bey was ranked as the No. 3 receiver in the draft by most qualified analysts and should have been drafted somewhere in the 20s, not at No. 7 overall as the first receiver. Likewise, Mitchell was considered a borderline prospect, someone who should have gone in the sixth or seventh round. Furthermore, this was the eighth time in the past nine years that the Raiders have used a first- or second-round pick on a defensive back. They wouldn’t have to do that if they would pick good ones.

This is from Yahoo Sports. Bottom Line F.

Analysis: A major reach here as the Raiders take the fastest wideout in the draft. Heyward-Bey is an explosive vertical threat; however, he is very raw as a route-runner, lacks great hands and might end up being one of the worst values in the 2009 draft.

Also from yahoo sports. Worst Value in the 2009 DRAFT!!! Let me say that again, WORST VALUE IN THE 2009 DRAFT! Not the First Round, 2009 DRAFT!!! Way to go Raiders, you did it again.

:logo:

While that would be nice, if Bomar looks good in training camp and in pre-season, he won't last on the practice squad. Plus, Tom Coughlin mentioned the other day in his presser that Woodsen's been working his tail off, so I just have a gut feeling they're going to keep 3 on the roster.

There will, however, be 1 less running back(Rueben Droughns), and after last year, I'm sure that position will be taken by an extra defensive lineman. And I believe we have 9 linebackers on our roster that are all worthy of sticking, but I'm sure one's going to have to get cut. I guess these are good problems to have.

I can see them carrying 7 WRs, especially if they cut a TE like Matthews who offers nothing other than blocking (put a blocking TE on the practice squad for insurance). Woodson and Bomar are unlikely to get stolen from a practice squad if they do go 2 QBs again. If you look at the current players they have there looks to be no reason to have more than 7 DBs, 9 DL, and 8 LBs on the 53 man roster. That leaves room on offense. Just my opinon. I could see Goff, Wilkinson (hope not), or Clark getting cut. The late picks and guys like Henderson from last year are likely on the practice squad or cut. We can speculate all we want but I predict injuries will play a major role in deciding the shape of the final roster. If 1 of the top 7 WRs go on PUP or IR there is no hard decision to be made.

Also from yahoo sports. Worst Value in the 2009 DRAFT!!! Let me say that again, WORST VALUE IN THE 2009 DRAFT! Not the First Round, 2009 DRAFT!!! Way to go Raiders, you did it again.

Has Al Davis reached the equivalent of a little old grandmother sending her SSN check to the televangelist for a "blessed tie"? Has there ever been a franchise before where the fan base knew that they would be average to horrible until their owner died (actually yes - my franchise when Braman owned it)?

Has Al Davis reached the equivalent of a little old grandmother sending her SSN check to the televangelist for a "blessed tie"? Has there ever been a franchise before where the fan base knew that they would be average to horrible until their owner died (actually yes - my franchise when Braman owned it)?

Some Redskins fans feel this is the case with Snyder as the owner. ;)

Archived