Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Father of the year award goes to .....

jbooma

MARYLAND

Child endangerment charge: A drunk Silver Spring man who took his infant son to a Hooters restaurant in Rockville in search of a nightcap has been charged with endangering the child, Montgomery County police said yesterday.

Dennis R. Mallik, 25, of the 8900 block of Piney Branch Road, was arrested Saturday about 12:45 a.m. after the restaurant manager called police to say that a man who appeared to be highly intoxicated was trying to order a drink while holding a baby in his arms, police said.

When Officer James Ross arrived, he found Mallik in the parking lot staggering, slurring his words and having difficulty holding the baby, police said. After Ross arrested the man, the baby was taken into protective custody and later released to a family member.

Mallik was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a child, a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and a maximum jail term of three years, and endangering the safety of another while intoxicated, which is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine of $100. He was released after posting a $5,000 bond.

This brings me to the question when did your dad give you your first drink :) Mine was my uncle when I was 13, he put some beer in a mug and told me to keep it from my aunt :)

:cheers:

I don't know about Maryland, but in Tennessee, the criminal charge would be the least of his worries. Children's Services would swoop down and remove the child and place it in a foster home.

The contributing charge will likely be tossed - not sure how the child is delinquent unless mere presence in a bar is enough (and it's not). The other charge might stick.

As pathetic as the whole thing sounds, if the poor sap had just used a stroller he might have been OK. Its the potential for dropping the kid that presents the immediate threat. Babysitting while drunk is extremely poor judgement but I'm not sure whether it would actually hold up in court. Well, at least he didn't leave the child at home unattended :doh: .

ANyone else surprised that contributing to the delinquency of a child carries a penalty of up to 3 years and fines up to $2500, but endangering the same child has a maximum penalty of 90 days and $100 fine? That just seems backwards.

As an odd aside, I hated the taste of liquor until I went away to St. Croix with my parents over Christmas break of my Sophmore year of college. My parents didn't believe that a college student wouldn't drink, so they thought I was lieing to them. They kept ordering me girly fruity drinks like daquirris. Well low and behold, those tasted pretty good.:cheers: I can honestly say my parents started me drinking.

The ol man gave me my first beer, a Coors Original, when I was deer hunting with him. I'd have to say I was around 13 years old. Tasted reaaaaal good, too!!

First drink though and a popular story around family gatherings is how I got drunk on wine when I was just a wee 5 or six years old and my family lived on the island of Crete. Apparently I got drunk on some wine (supposed it didn't take much back then) and bit this little Greek girl who was a friend of the family. Hmmmm, I don't remember, but the story never fails to show up around holiday gatherings and all.

Archived