Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

help with breeders

jbooma

BCA Breeder Referral

Disclaimer: The Bulldog Club of America does not recommend, guarantee, endorse or rate breeders or their stock. Buyers should check all matters relating to AKC registration, health, and quality before making any decision.

The BCA Breeder Referral service can be contacted via email, surface mail or telephone. Phone calls will not, in general, be returned. If you leave a message, speak slowly when giving names and addresses. The best times to call are prior to 10:00 AM and after 7:00 PM East Coast time.

To expedite the referral process, please specify the states, postal Zip Codes and/or telephone Area Codes from which referrals can be made. I.e. in what area of the United States would you like to find a breeder.

Contact information:

breedref@thebca.org

BCA Breeder Referral

P.O. Box 128

Sealston, Virginia 22547

(540) 775-3015

jbooma-

first, congrats on getting your puppy. It will be a lot of fun. If you're like me and put your name in with an expectant mother or a young litter, the anticipation will kill you! :)

Kurp's got it right. Go through the AKC which lists local breed clubs. In your region, there will likely be at least a couple who you can consult with, but I'd keep and open mind and also look to nearby states like Maryland, Delaware, or PA, and not just VA. If it was another more common/popular breed, like retrievers or german shepherds, you might not need to do that. But you want options.

Then call around to the various different breed clubs and ask about what reputable breeders in the region are expecting litters. No matter how quickly you get a name or two, keep calling. You'll likely start hearing the same name or names, which is good. Then start calling the breeders.

Also, don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions. Remember, these peoples' passion is their dogs. They'll love to talk to you about them, and you'll get a lot of great information. Tie in your questions with how you plan to live with/use the dog. For example, if you're really looking simply for a house pet, ask about temperament. If you're looking for a show dog, ask about breeding lines and appearance/construction of the dogs.

I'd also recommend seeing the litter at least once before you bring the dog home. You want to make sure that they're clean and well cared for, and to watch for any behavioral problems.

Most importantly, it's a fun process, so enjoy it.

Are you really interested in show dogs or breeding the dog yourself? If not, why go through the puupy factories?

petfinders.com is a great way to find a specific type of dog in your area for far less money. In addition, petfinders.com links to lots of rescue shelters with dogs of all ages. My fiance and I used it to get our Boston Terrier mix. We only chose the mix because we liked him better than the others that looked to be pure breads.

There are also breed specific rescue leagues.

I agree with gbear . . . to a point. The thing you get from breeders is a more predictable dog, meaning not only that you know it truly is a bulldog, but also you will likely get far better information about its health and its breeding history.

I don't know anything about bulldogs, but with GSD's for example you want to avoid hip dysplasia, and you can do that better through breeders who know the history of the litter and of the parents. Temperament is important too and again a reputable breeder will point you in the right direction.

gbear is certainly right about those puppy mills or pet shops, which is why I said you should check out the litter and the breeder's situation before you get the dog.

All of the above obviously applies to puppies. If you want to avoid "growing pains" with puppies, then a rescue is certainly the way to go and is an admirable choice BTW. Again, their are often breed-specific rescues out there, but I don't know if there are enough bulldogs around to warrant that. Do internet searches for information.

Just to add a bit of clarification to what gbear wrote....

There is a world of difference between puppy mills and backyard breeders verses reputable breeders.

ALL, yes I mean ALL, pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills and occasionally, backyard breeders.

Puppies advertised for sale in the newspapers almost ALWAYS come from backyard breeders.

Many reputable breeders don't even breed their dogs until they already have a waiting list of potential owners, which they have carefully screened.

ALL reputable breeders have elbow, hip, eye, thyroid, and heart clearances going back 3 to 5 generations on dogs they breed.

Will you pay more for a dog from a reputable breeder? Yes. But if you do your research and determine what kind of dog best fits your personality and lifestyle, then buying from a reputable breeder will get you a dog that most closely resembles the physical and temperamental characteristics of the breed you've selected.

I just want to back up what Kurp wrote. I spent ALOT of time researching breeds and breeders, and dogs in general. Of course, we ended up rescuing a mutt that stole our hearts instead of getting a purebred GSD or Lab.

Congrats and best wishes! :)

Archived