Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lions in negotiations

skinzfan72

I don't see how it won't be Stafford. They have a new coaching staff in place and they've lacked a franchise QB for years. I have a hard time believing it will be Curry, even though I'm a huge fan of his.

They could follow two models:

Dolphins: Go with a LT first, then get a QB with a later pick (Long, Henne). Obviously, they had a solid veteran in place in Pennington which allowed them to season Henne on the bench for this year and probably next. I don't know the Lions have this luxury as we don't know what Culpepper can still bring to the table.

Falcons: QB first, and secure your franchise. IMO, Stafford is a much better prospect than Matt Ryan was last year. Ryan was criticized for his decision making, but was lauded for his poise and leadership. Stafford has the same criticisms and good qualities, but better physical tools and more experience in a tougher conference. Then, they can go with an OT later, like the Falcons did with Sam Baker (Eben Britton or William Beatty would be great for them at their later pick).

All in all, I think you need to secure your QB position first, especially since the draft is pretty deep at OT and very weak at the QB after the top 3 guys.

I don't see how it won't be Stafford. They have a new coaching staff in place and they've lacked a franchise QB for years. I have a hard time believing it will be Curry, even though I'm a huge fan of his.

They could follow two models:

Dolphins: Go with a LT first, then get a QB with a later pick (Long, Henne). Obviously, they had a solid veteran in place in Pennington which allowed them to season Henne on the bench for this year and probably next. I don't know the Lions have this luxury as we don't know what Culpepper can still bring to the table.

Falcons: QB first, and secure your franchise. IMO, Stafford is a much better prospect than Matt Ryan was last year. Ryan was criticized for his decision making, but was lauded for his poise and leadership. Stafford has the same criticisms and good qualities, but better physical tools and more experience in a tougher conference. Then, they can go with an OT later, like the Falcons did with Sam Baker (Eben Britton or William Beatty would be great for them at their later pick).

All in all, I think you need to secure your QB position first, especially since the draft is pretty deep at OT and very weak at the QB after the top 3 guys.

I think its different philosophies. The lions have been effed many times before. Look back all the way to Andre Ware and you see them constantly reaching for first round QB busts. Part of me feels like they'll be like they'll do like Cleveland did a few years ago and pick somebody like Joe Thomas and then later picked Brady Quinn.

Reminder, Cleveland had also been a constant bicker of busts the likes of Tim Couch and Akili Smith.

I think its different philosophies. The lions have been effed many times before. Look back all the way to Andre Ware and you see them constantly reaching for first round QB busts. Part of me feels like they'll be like they'll do like Cleveland did a few years ago and pick somebody like Joe Thomas and then later picked Brady Quinn.

Reminder, Cleveland had also been a constant bicker of busts the likes of Tim Couch and Akili Smith.

True, but there are other factors at work here too I think. Obviously Ware and Harrington sucked, but there were question marks for Ware going into the draft and Harrington, IIRC, had a hard time shaking the image of being too passive.

Stafford is a leader, has some of the best physical tools of a QB to come by in quite some time, played in the toughest conference as a 3 year starter, and is helped by a weak QB class. I don't think the Lions, assuming the Jets draft Freeman, are going to find a Quinn later in the draft. Personally, I only see three starting QBs to come out of this class, and those are the top 3.

As for the OTs, I like Jason Smith but I think he's been overrated and I don't know that he would be a number 1 overall consideration in many other years. I don't see him as being the sure-fire, cornerstone left tackle that Joe Thomas and Jake Long were touted as. I think he'll be very good, but not a sure thing. Monroe is more of a sure thing to me.

I just think it'd be better value for them to take Stafford and Beatty/Britton rather than go with Smith and hope Freeman is on the board or that Bomar turns out to be a franchise QB. Personally, I think sticking with Drew Stanton would be a sounder decision than going with Bomar.

Archived