Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whose team will be worse?

Angus

Will Rod Gardner remain a Redskin after his contact expires?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rod Gardner remain a Redskin after his contact expires?

• Yes, he'll prove his worth and Snyder will gladly resign him.
    • No, Snyder won't sign him for the money he'll want and Jacobs will likely take his job anyway.

Is there any team whose fans think the team will be worse than it was last year? I haven't run across it . When I read the Redskins boards I find unbridled enthusiasm and hubris. The same for Cowboys boards, and for the boards of other teams I have checked. Almost everyone expects the best. There are sometimes one or two posters on each board who counsel caution but they are immodestly repudiated by their fellow fans.

But that's the way it ought to be at this time of the year. No team has lost a game. No fan has lost a wager on a game. No coach has been fired over a game. And no official has missed a call in a game. Not even a preseason game.

We all better enjoy it while we can because when the season starts — the crying starts. The ones with preseason visions of grandeur are most likely have the most tears then. I think there is a chance Redskins fans may be crying loudly. I hope Cowboys fans won't be, but we may be weeping a bit, too.

I'm not sure the Cleveland and Arizona fans think their teams have improved. Even some of the Jet fans are concerned.

Only a fool would think that the Skins haven't improved. The same goes with the Cowboys. For those teams, whether the team has improved is not the issue...rather it is the amount of improvement that remains to be seen.

The Cowboys season will be interesting. It is hard to tell whether Parcells really cares about winning this year. I think he is more focused upon finding out what it is he's got, and then building upon that. Consequently, the record may not improve, but he will certainly form a core of players to build around. So in essence, the team will be improved and primed for the following season. On the other hand, it shouldn't take a whole lot of upgrade to better a 5-11 record either.

The Skins have better players this year. But as it has been stated many times, actual record improvement hinges upon Ramsey's performance. We'll find out in a few months.

Let's see ...

I didn't think we'd go 14-2 again in 1992.

I thought 1994, Norv's first year, would be worse than 1993.

I don't know if I thought we'd be WORSE in 1999 than 98, but I didn't think we'd be that much better either.

Same goes for the past two years, actually, 2001 and 2002. I think I picked 8-8 for both years.

That's about it for the past 10 years for me.

I'd say the last time I was this optimistic was 2000, although I admit it all hinges on Ramsey. But yeah, I think we'll win more than 7 games regardless.

I can't speak for the boards of other teams, but if you post something on a Redskins board about the team appearing to be worse than the previous year, you're shouted down pretty quick or called a hater.

The fact is that we were worse last year than the previous year. But last off-season was just as exuberant as this one.

But it's off-season. Nobody knows how ANY team is going to do. So why not be optimistic?

I don't think we'll find out early. We'll be watching a young developing QB leading a team trying to come together in the midst of a tough early season schedule. If we get into a big hole, then we'll find out, but I think we'll really find out in October.

I go into every season expecting to make the playoffs. Its just the way I am. I can't start off the season thinking that we are going to stink. So, until the Skins are mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs, I don't give up. I see through burgundy and gold glasses and I am proud of it.

HTTR

LoWGHoST

i am stoked for the skins upcoming season as we all should be... but as for fans that are expecting worse-- it's got to be ARIZONA. they lost their only superstar. and replaced him with...rookies Anquan Boldin and Bryant Johnson (reach). It is going to be ugly down there, especially with Emmitt totin' the rock. i just can't figure this franchise out. they have made pathetic football decisions for as long as i can remember, except for dave mcguinness. i like the coach, but he can't do it all... they need some talent to work with.

the situation in CLE might get really nasty with the QB ???? Couch or Holcomb? From what I saw Holcomb deserves a fair shot at winning the job, regardless of Couch's salary. But after seeing the CLE fans booooo Couch as he laid injured on the field-- that is unforgivable. I don't know how he can ever forget that. Just seems like this could tear the team apart... well, at least they will have Lebron James...

PHI and NYJ fans also have a reason to think their teams won't do as well-- not that you'll ever hear them admit it.

Originally posted by AJWatson3

the situation in CLE might get really nasty with the QB ???? Couch or Holcomb? From what I saw Holcomb deserves a fair shot at winning the job, regardless of Couch's salary. But after seeing the CLE fans booooo Couch as he laid injured on the field-- that is unforgivable. I don't know how he can ever forget that. Just seems like this could tear the team apart... well, at least they will have Lebron James...

They actually cheered when Couch was laying on the ground injured... apparently happy that he would be out and Holcomb would be in. Nice bunch of folks.

Is it possible that the Skins could be a better team but they'll still be lucky to crack .500?

They've got a nasty schedule. In the first six games they play all playoff teams, including the Superbowl champs. Ouch. They'll be lucky to be 3-3 after that. During this time Ramsey'll be test-driving the new offense -- remember, he'sonly had 5 starts so far.

In the next six they get Buffalo, Dallas, Seattle, Carolina,Miami, and New Orleands. That's a lot easier, but 4 of 6 are on the road. Ouch again. Let's say they go 4-2.

In the last 4 they get the Giants, Dallas, Chicago, and Philly. Crunch time. If they go 2-2, the finish 9-7 and maybe make the playoffs, maybe not.

9/4 New York Jets 9 p.m. ABC

9/14 at Atlanta 1 p.m. FOX

9/21 New York Giants 4:05 p.m. FOX

9/28 New England 1 p.m. CBS

10/5 at Philadelphia 4:15 p.m. FOX

10/12 Tampa Bay 1 p.m. FOX

10/19 at Buffalo 1 p.m. FOX

11/2 at Dallas 1 p.m. FOX

11/9 Seattle 1 p.m. CBS

11/16 at Carolina 1 p.m. FOX

11/23 at Miami 8:30 p.m. ESPN

11/30 New Orleans 4:05 p.m. FOX

12/7 at New York Giants 1 p.m. FOX

12/14 Dallas 1 p.m. FOX

12/21 at Chicago 1 p.m. FOX

12/27 Philadelphia

Originally posted by Canyonero!

They actually cheered when Couch was laying on the ground injured... apparently happy that he would be out and Holcomb would be in. Nice bunch of folks.

that's what i meant-- cheer an injury=boo a player.

sounds like some NY or PHI fans....

They've got a nasty schedule. In the first six games they play all playoff teams, including the Superbowl champs. Ouch. They'll be lucky to be 3-3 after that

If we're at least 3-3 after the first 6 games, I feel that we're playoff bound, because after week 8, our schedule lightens up a bit. I could even see us being 10-6, if Ramsey plays as well as we all feel he can.

I don't know about the rest of the folks, but this is the first year I really expect an improvement (though not necessairly a win, the schedule is murder) since the '99/'00 turn. In truth, I haven't really been very enthused about the Redskins chances over the past decades worth of seasons. As I look back I can point to '93, '97, and '00 as years where I anticipated good things and that was about it until now. Maybe in '98 because of the DT's brought in.

As for fans who should be feeling crummy? I would expect Philly fan, Green Bay's fans, SF's fans (because of the horrible owners), Chicago's fans, I already know that Carolina's fans are depressed. In the afc the jets fans should be sad, cincy fans shouldn't exist, the browns blew their offseason, Jags fans should be depressed beyond Leftwich's upside, and San Diego fans should probably be irritable w/how their draft was handled, and how they dealt with Seau, and Harrison. So how many is that? About 9 teams. Seems about right to me, even the cowboys have hope considering Parcells arrived.

Originally posted by Lowghost

I go into every season expecting to make the playoffs. Its just the way I am. I can't start off the season thinking that we are going to stink. So, until the Skins are mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs, I don't give up. I see through burgundy and gold glasses and I am proud of it.

HTTR

LoWGHoST

I feel the same.

Think 49er's fans are probably feeling like the loss of coach SM is gonna hurt this season.

I also always feel like we can make the playoffs but I definitely do more this year than last year, just out of SOS adapting more, Ramsey having some experience, and getting faster WRs. What I was so unprepared for was an atrocious oline guarding our QBs. This year we've got it in check.

well we should definitely have a better/improved team this season and still go 8-8 with our schedule.with some lucky breaks finally going our way 10-6 @ very best.hopefully most of the breakdowns/mental lapses will disappear & we'll look like a professional team again instead of the dissarray we experienced last year.HTTR

Archived