Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

While I find this extremely funny..

Kilmer17

Originally posted by Kilmer17

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23620-2003May21.html?nav=hptoc_c

para- Hillbilly's upset that CBS is planning a real life Beverly Hillbillys.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be even more funny to take some rich elitists out of hollywood and dump them in a shack in appalachia for a couple of months.

I agree.

Or maybe some Company Exec's and make them work at a Walmart in Oklahoma for awhile.

Hopefully this question won't offend anyone:

Are they looking for only white families or are black families included as well.

Has Jesse Jackson said anything about this or is he reading that it is only white families.

Cause I know around here, we have some black hillbillies as well as white.

Does anybody know?

I'm not into all the reality shows that clog the programing of today's TV. I've seen the inbreading, and the poor quality of life that true "hilbillies" endure year round in NY, and now FL. I've seen the shanties without windows and doors thay live in, the little children running around in tattered cloths shoeless. The blank stares, and hopelesness in their eyes.

Some may find it funny to take these type of folks out of their element for the amusment of others. I don't. I find it very sad that in this day and age, so many still live under these conditions. There's a huge differance between Rural folk, and Hillbillies. While some rural areas me be a throw back to the past, and depressed to some extent, hilbillies exist in pure poverty.

If this show is aired it might have a much different impact on the viewers then the one worried about by the West Virginia miners in that article.

While the obvious attraction to the show for viewers will be hoping to see rural, backwards people trying to cope with "affluent society" but the tables could just as easily be turned. If the viewers begin to identify and care about this family then the result could be rather an attack on rural folk but on the fakeness of Beverly Hills and affluent society as a whole.

Maybe Im just naive and overly optimistic though.

Archived