Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field: The Offseason Chronicles - Snowed Again

Om

From seeing the presser today, it sounds like Taylor has a lot on his mind, and the Skins can't afford to sit on their hands to wait to see if Taylor is going to be fully committed to next season. I can understand that concern, especially when you have other holes to fill. I do wish it was otherwise, because we could use him.

Another key factor is that JT would have been coming off the first serious injury of his career. There is simply no way to know at this point what kind of player he'll be physically by September, much less between the ears. Not sure there's a team in the league that would be willing to fork $8.5 million over to a player with that big a question mark hanging over him without at the very least making sure they could guide and monitor his progress in person during the offseason. As it was, since they were asking him to commit to just 3/4 of the scheduled workouts (and pay him half a mil for the honor), I have no problem ascribing that to due diligence on the part of the team.

I think we can solve our offensive line RT position by approaching Joe Jacoby's daughter.

Seems like she should be an adult about now, doesn't it?

That's not very nice.

I can see this and if Vinny were Bobby Beathard I could even believe in it but he does not have a great track record of finding the "value" pick in later rounds ...

Not saying you are defending him and I am not saying his view is wrong. Just saying I don't think he has the stuff to make his view work regularly enough to make this team good.

No argument. And this view is amply supported by VC's history here.

Indeed, with two holes on the D now, I think it makes sense. My comment was more having to do with when we all thought Taylor was suiting up for us this year although I can certainly see your argument about him needing a stud SAM off his hip to help hold that corner against the run. That is a point I had not considered.

Part of my problem with thinking this though is the lack of guys who really fit what we need, who grade out that high in the draft and who will be available when we pick at #13.. Curry is a goner early if not #1. Orakpo and Maybin are both undersized to play LDE as neither is any bigger than Taylor. Maybe they make great OLB in a 3-4 but I have serious doubts about converting them to work as a SAM in a 4-3. Maualuga is likely gone in the top 10. Maybe Cushing is around...he would be a nice fit but you have 2 teams ahead of us switching to a 3-4 with a need for LBs and one playing the 3-4 now that may be losing one of their stud LBs to FA (Denver, GB and Bufflo, respectively) so I am thinking that Cushing is likely gone too.

Tyson Jackson is the only guy with the size to play LDE I see lasting past #13 and I think there is a big drop in OLB talent past the guys mentioned. We have already heard folks at Ashburn say that whoever gets picked at #13 has to ready to go cause they will be required to play.

Maybe Vinny tries to drop back and pick up a #2 but that is no sure thing. Of course, if there is but one of the big stud OTs left on the board when we pick trading back might be a serious option. ATL sure wanted Baker last year bad enough to offer good picks to get him.

And granted, I have no more clue about this than anyone else on this board. If I did, I would be working in some teams front office.

You're at least a month ahead of me in breaking down individual prospects. At this point I'm still trying to zero in on what I think the team is thinking in terms of positions to attack. And even when I do get into rating my favorite draft prospects, I'm always quick to remind myself that what I see on film in college has only partial bearing on how a certain player projects into the NFL, in a particular scheme, in a particular locker room.

I'd be a lousy Mel Kiper. For one, I ain't got the hair, but more importantly, I don't have the gene that allows me to stare into a camera and confidently predict that this particular OLB from this particular major program is the #2 prospect while the other is clearly #3.

Dont' get me wrong, though. That won't stop me from making my choice/predictions come draft week. No one remembers anyway. :)

You're at least a month ahead of me in breaking down individual prospects. At this point I'm still trying to zero in on what I think the team is thinking in terms of positions to attack. And even when I do get into rating my favorite draft prospects, I'm always quick to remind myself that what I see on film in college has only partial bearing on how a certain player projects into the NFL, in a particular scheme, in a particular locker room.

I have not spent that much time doing it yet this year either. I got interested enough after reading your piece to go look at the LB and DE prospects and get an idea of what some of the big mocks are thinking and that is about it. In the end, it is worth the virtual paper it is printed on and I might change my mind 42 times between now and draft day.

Nor does any of what I said take into account any moves the team might make in FA between now and then. If they pick up a veteran SAM or DE or ROT or some combination then we can start to narrow down what they are thinking.

The more I look at it the more I like the trade down idea. It might be possible to trade back, pick up a 2nd this year and still draft Jackson (he is the only DE in the draft with the size to play LDE in a 4-3 with a real 1st round rating but he isn't considered a top 10 prospect in anything I have seen) and then with the second maybe pick up one of those top C/G guys like Alex Mack.

But again, I am just day dreaming a bit and working off some hastily put together info.

I'd be a lousy Mel Kiper. For one, I ain't got the hair, but more importantly, I don't have the gene that allows me to stare into a camera and confidently predict that this particular OLB from this particular major program is the #2 prospect while the other is clearly #3.

I'd be a lousy Kiper too. I have the hair but I hate gel so there is no way I could come up with a coif like his. Nor do I have what it takes to go over film for the amount of time he does it. Of course, I happen to think he is over rated too...

Dont' get me wrong, though. That won't stop me from making my choice/predictions come draft week. No one remembers anyway. :)

Agreed. For us pro football junkies, it's the only game in town and I wouldn't miss it.

For the record ... just read VC's comment in today's Jason Reid piece saying their plan had been to play Jason Taylor at SAM this year, and go out and find a LDE.

So basically none of us had any idea what we were talking about. :cool:

Archived