Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AHWR - Redskins: The “Top” OL Free Agents

J.Campbell17

http://allhailredskins.com/2009/02/2...l-free-agents/

When the clock strikes midnight tomorrow evening, will Redskins One be rolling down the runway to pick up a free agent. Given the excitement yesterday regarding Albert Haynesworth, many think that may be just the case. Still, it seems a bit of stretch for this Redskins fan to believe the team would expend that much money on him. That said, I doubt the jet would be fired up for any of these individuals on the list below. But, I believe the Redskins would be wise to concentrate their efforts herein.

Specifically, the following list, derived from a more comprehensive dataset from Pro Football Weekly is a compilation of the top OL free agents that are UNDER the age of 30 *and* UNRESTRICTED! Given the state of our offensive line, it is well documented and known that the Redskins need help. Listed in order of their potential / grade, they are as follows:

Jason Brown

C-OG / Baltimore Ravens

Age 26 / FA Type: Unrestricted

The marquee Ravens free agent whom no one seems to be talking about, Brown is set to cash in after impressive stints at both left guard and center in back-to-back seasons. Strong enough to anchor at center but athletic enough to thrive at guard, Brown is one of the top free agents available at both positions.

Stacy Andrews

OT / Cincinnati Bengals

Age 28 / FA Type: Unrestricted

Received the franchise tag last offseason, then surprisingly struggled before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Week 16. The 6-7, 342-pound Andrews has flashed Pro Bowl talent at points of his career, and if he does not re-sign with the Bengals, some team will take a chance on him, considering his ability. However, the knee injury likely will hurt his earning potential.

Chris Kemoeatu

OG / Pittsburgh Steelers

Age 26 / FA Type: Unrestricted

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

I am hoping for Jason Brown but he may not come cheap. Versatility is very helpful in the NFL.

Agreed. It would be a great pick up for the Skins, but cheap is such a relative term. He's not going to to demand Hutchinson type money. Plus the skins would be able to get Evans a good deal, may be keep Taylor and Hall and promote some continuity on defense. Which is important.

We need another good name on the o-line, every one except Samuels is just plain average. I think we saw that the effects of that being the Skins were so poor on Offense.

Does anyone know if Devin Clark is a guard, or tackle? I read somewhere that the Skins are high on him, and think he has potential. If that's the case, we may have two future starters with Rhinehart and Clark along with Heyer. I think Center is the least of our Oline worries, besides LT. Raback is still relatively young IMO.

Does anyone know if Devin Clark is a guard, or tackle? I read somewhere that the Skins are high on him, and think he has potential. If that's the case, we may have two future starters with Rhinehart and Clark along with Heyer. I think Center is the least of our Oline worries, besides LT. Raback is still relatively young IMO.

He played tackle in college, but I think they're looking at him at both positions. He might translate better to guard in the pros.

His draft profile's still up: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/devin-clark?id=2639

Overview

Clark was a four-year starter at right tackle, two at Scottsdale Community College before heading to Albuquerque, where he was named first team All-Mountain West in 2007. Also puts up great numbers in the weight room, even placing fourth in the National Junior Weightlifting Championships.

Positives: Gives good effort on every play, and a noted hard worker. ... Able to get to linebackers and safeties quickly at the second level. ... Can anchor well, using leg and hand strength to stand up bull rushes from larger defensive ends. ... Better as a positional blocker, sealing the edge for off-tackle runs and directing his man around the pocket in pass protection. ... Effective drive-blocker at times.

Negatives: Only adequate size to play on the outside. ... When facing quicker defensive ends, he reaches and gets upright too often instead of using his footwork to stay balanced and in an athletic position. ... Inconsistent sustaining his blocks, he allows his man to beat him on second effort. ... Does not always play as strong as his weight room numbers indicate. ... May be tried inside at right guard.

Of those listed in the article, my preference is:

1. Jason Brown (26)

C-OG / Baltimore Ravens

-His versatility and age put him easily at the top of the list, which unfortunately willd drive his price up dramatically

2.Chris Kemoeatu (26)

OG / Pittsburgh Steelers

-Kendell may not be back, and I personally like Heyer at Tackle. This guy would be a great infusion of youth, and would give CR another year to grow into Randy Thomas' eventual replacement

3.Stacy Andrews (28)

OT / Cincinnati Bengals

-I like Andrews best of the tackles, and a lot of that is his size.

4.Khalif Barnes (27)

OT / Jacksonville Jaguars

-Barnes is a bit of a question mark, as he has had some incosistency in his career. Not a better LT than Samuels, so would have to switch to RT for a shot at starting. But if the FA market drives his price down, he would be a nice addition

5.Jon Stinchcomb (29)

OT / New Orleans Saints

-Stinchcomb's injury history scares me. The last thing this line needs is another 30-something O-lineman with an injury history.

Yeah in TC I think I remember that they were impressed with him.

However, I do think Center is a concern as Rabach constantly makes bonehead penalties such as those in the Dallas game. That took away a JC to ARE TD pass.

I'm all for getting Jason Brown, but I wish we could somehow find our own Jason Brown's through the draft.

The Ravens drafted Casey Rabach in the third round and he turned out to be a key backup in 2004 after their starting C suffered a severe injury in preseason. Then the Ravens drafted Jason Brown in the fourth round in 2005.

Sigh.

Archived