Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American team planning to enter Formula 1 (Edit: Is it over?)

HighOnHendrix

I think someone is still racing at least one of them in ALMS this season as a hand-me-down.

the muscle milk rs spyder...i think they get "minimal" porsche support. but i'm not sure...speaking of porsche their hybrid will be racing @ petit lemans this year :beavisnbutthead:

if anyone can make it down to road atlanta at the end of september, you should.

To even be mid-field in F1 requires at least a 100 million budget plus a wind tunnel. A US based team would have massive logistical costs ferrying equipment and team members across the globe. i just don't see a US outfit spending that kind of money for a prolonged period of time.

what about a facility in austin @ the new track site for the far east/south american/north american races

and another site in england @ silverstone for the euro @ middle east sites.

i mean. if i win the mega millions (which i cant since they dont have a lottery down here in jesus-land) i should have bought a ticket when i was home last week.

but i think the two facility idea would be good. and i'm damn excited about all the former f1 drivers that will be @ petit.

http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/plm10.asp

giancarlo fisichella will be in a ferrari GT car. it's going to be just beautiful and perfect in every way.

what about a facility in austin @ the new track site for the far east/south american/north american races

and another site in england @ silverstone for the euro @ middle east sites.

i mean. if i win the mega millions (which i cant since they dont have a lottery down here in jesus-land) i should have bought a ticket when i was home last week.

but i think the two facility idea would be good. and i'm damn excited about all the former f1 drivers that will be @ petit.

http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/plm10.asp

giancarlo fisichella will be in a ferrari GT car. it's going to be just beautiful and perfect in every way.

If the team emerges I can only guess. It would have to be in warm weather. My guess would be North Carolina being that there are NASCAR tunnels there and its a shorter trip over the pond.

If the team emerges I can only guess. It would have to be in warm weather. My guess would be North Carolina being that there are NASCAR tunnels there and its a shorter trip over the pond.

That was USF1's plan and it came to naught. As for the travel concerns, it's not that big a deal. Half the races are in the far east (Japan, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Korea, etc.) which not any farther from here than from Europe. As long as you have a European facility of some kind, you're good to go. You also have to consider that these guys don't race every single week like them good ole Nascar boys. You usually have two weeks to get your crap to wherever.

I would be very upset if Danica Patrick was awarded a driving spot in F1.

Maybe Bernie reads this board; he said this right after you said that: http://en.espnf1.com/usracing/motorsport/story/25785.html

"Regarding an American driver, we have tried that lately but obviously what's missing is the right attitude," Ecclestone told the official F1 website. "You can race successfully in the US without the huge effort you need to succeed in Formula One. But to have someone like Danica Patrick in F1 would be a perfect advert."

Seriously, I don't understand the knee-jerk hatred toward Danica. She is consistently in the top 5 in IRL. Scott Speed got an F1 seat and she is way better than him. I don't see many people crapping on his head even though he deserves it. Anyway, she has stated publicly on several occasions that she has no interest in moving to F1.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/25775.html

Austin circuit layout nearing completion

According to circuit designer Herman Tilke's US executive Christian Epp, the track layout of the new circuit in Austin is essentially complete.

Officials of Tilke's German design company, Tilke GmbH, have already started to arrive at the site to begin work on the circuit that will host the 2012 US Grand Prix.

"There is land, there is money, there is a Formula One contract. We are now ready to enter the final stage of the ambitious project," Epp was quoted in the American-Statesman. "We have to figure how many buildings and access roads are needed, how in detail to manage the water supply, drainage and power. It's like planning and building a complete new city."

Tilke GmbH already has geologists testing the 900-acre plot and a Tilke delegation is expected to continue working on the plans in Austin next week. The layout will be presented to the FIA in September with construction scheduled to begin in December.

"The engineers and the contractors tell me it can be built by summer 2012," added the race organisers' lawyer, Richard Suttle Jr.

Picture of the site below:

5823.2.jpg

I'm as underwhelmed as you are.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/25775.html

Austin circuit layout nearing completion

According to circuit designer Herman Tilke's US executive Christian Epp, the track layout of the new circuit in Austin is essentially complete.

Officials of Tilke's German design company, Tilke GmbH, have already started to arrive at the site to begin work on the circuit that will host the 2012 US Grand Prix.

"There is land, there is money, there is a Formula One contract. We are now ready to enter the final stage of the ambitious project," Epp was quoted in the American-Statesman. "We have to figure how many buildings and access roads are needed, how in detail to manage the water supply, drainage and power. It's like planning and building a complete new city."

Tilke GmbH already has geologists testing the 900-acre plot and a Tilke delegation is expected to continue working on the plans in Austin next week. The layout will be presented to the FIA in September with construction scheduled to begin in December.

"The engineers and the contractors tell me it can be built by summer 2012," added the race organisers' lawyer, Richard Suttle Jr.

Picture of the site below:

5823.2.jpg

I'm as underwhelmed as you are.

alot of work, sure. but it sounds like the local government/city council are all on board with this.

as long as herr hermann gets the layout right. not like those stupid sanitized race tracks in the middle east...

The only problem I have is that the site is pretty far outside of Austin. There is nothing out there and it is not a visually pretty area - like west and south/west of Austin (Hill Country). It will be interesting.

How far is pretty far? A lot of tracks are 10-15 miles from the city they are "in".

I wonder if the IRL, World Superbike, MotoGp and the other global motorsporting franchises will tweak their schedules and race there? WSB along with ALMS has a race in Utah at a track that is fabulous from what I've seen and read.

I've seen so many F1, IRL and Champ Car races in many cities come and go: Vegas, DC, Denver, Houston,Dallas ( Bmore will have a street race next ). I'm just not sold until the cars are on the grid.

The F1 schedule is crowded as it is with India,South Korea, and Russia with races in the near future. An F1 race in the American southwest in the summer .All I can say is wow.

I wonder if the IRL, World Superbike, MotoGp and the other global motorsporting franchises will tweak their schedules and race there? WSB along with ALMS has a race in Utah at a track that is fabulous from what I've seen and read.

...The F1 schedule is crowded as it is with India,South Korea, and Russia with races in the near future. An F1 race in the American southwest in the summer .All I can say is wow.

That's Miller Motorsports Park. Grand Am holds their final race there every year. It's a top-notch facility, no doubt about it.

Bernie has said that the schedule will not go beyond twenty races. They are currently at 19 (that's counting the Korean race planned for this year). Someone is going to lose a race if India or Russia get a race. I would think Bahrain and Hungary would be the first to face the chopping block. But with old man Bernie running the show, who knows?

5 minutes with ... Peter Windsor

GP Week caught up with the man behind the failed USF1 team to find out exactly what happened.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/25981.html

Excerpt:

How did the problems affect you personally?

Obviously I was very, very sad. Equally, I've learnt a lot - and, hopefully, I'm a better person for it. I wanted to do an all-new and very creative F1 team, we got an entry, we gave it 100 per cent and we didn't make it. A few people have said a lot of nasty, critical things - but, believe me, none of the things they've said has been as tough as the things I've said to myself. That's what happens when you try something difficult and new. A friend said to me recently that a bit of humiliation is always good for the soul, and, as hard as that is to swallow, I know deep down that she is right.

So there will be no US F1 team? It failed and will not happen? :-(

That's the long and the short of it. Another group expressed interest in taking a stab at it a couple months ago but pulled out when the reality of how much time, money, and effort was truly involved hit them in the face. On the bright side, we're getting a United States Grand Prix next year on a brand new track in Austin, TX!

I fully expect Massa to be eased out of Ferrari for Mark Webber or even Vettal sooner than later.

Fishecella's "sell-by" date has expired and was aweful for the few races he had the seat.

I still can't over how far Williams has fallen.

Archived