Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your predictions for the 2009 Nascar season

Burgundy Burner

I actually about half got tears in my eyes reading that paragraph, man. Wow. And yet we have people coming into this thread, saying that "oh, deep down we all want to see wrecks."

No we ****ing don't. I watched Dale Sr. die. I stayed up all night after Ernie Irvan's wreck watching Headline News (in the days before we all had interwebs at home) praying he'd make it the 20 minutes to the next sports segment update. I didn't go to bed until they said he was stable.

We don't want wrecks. Hell, we LOVE these guys. And we appreciate the hell out of what they risk every week for our entertainment. The LAST thing we want to see is another death or serious injury. And EVERY accident carries that potential.

Joey's wreck last night scared the **** out of me. He hit that wall SQUARE. Thankfully they cut to the in-car of him moving around right away, but that was a scary, scary looking impact.

I think your comments about Jr.'s move were fair and devoid of emotion (the complete opposite of mine...lol). Though we don't always agree about "racing incidents," it's good to have a member of the "old guard" around here to keep us on an even keel, and "learn" us something once in a while.

Got your message at oh-dark-30 this morning too. It's hard to get me to laugh that early, but you did. :):cheers:

Having seen a lot of scary accidents over the years, I don't wish it on any racer. They can be gone in an instant. My favorite racer at age 5 was Fireball - a young kid will love a name like that one. At that age, it was hard to hear that he died. At any age, it is difficult to lose a favorite.

The main thing about Vickers-Earnhardt, Jr. - a racing incident that had poor judgment and many good cars suffered because of that decision. At this point, it is over and we're on to Fontana.

Glad that you had a good chuckle - I'm not too good at Mexican accents. American accents are tough enough as it is - thought you would like it though.

Sure buddy. Basically, if someone has a different opinion than you do and doesn't like what you like and sees it from a different perspective, they are a jackass.

You said that I was "hoping for the other 42 drivers to wreck."

You're either:

1) A mind reader

2) Just wrong

3) Being a jackass

You pick. :cheers:

It's funny that you should mention this because I was thinking the same thing yesterday. NASCAR personnel seem to be much more personable than the vast majority of athletes competing in other sports. Even if you aren't a fan of a particular driver it's often hard to hold something against them like you might with other types of athletes because more often than not they seem to be genuinely good guys. The same can be said for its commentators.

Yeah, there's basically only a handful of guys in the sport that I can honestly say I don't care for. One of the things I like most is watching the pre-race show each Sunday. I love it when they interview alot of the drivers. They seem like guys I would love to hang out with. Most are very personable guys, whether you like them or not.

As for the commentators. Yeah, I like pretty much all of them as well. But I have to admit, im not real happy with Darrell Walrip right now. When that accident took place yesterday, his initial reaction was that he felt, like nearly everyone else, that Junior was in the wrong. Then, after hearing JR's lame interview about it, he changed his tune. That's the one part about Nascar I can't stand. And its the BLATANT favoritism shown. Jr screwed up. Don't sugarcoat it. Come out and say it. I'm 100% sure that had that been nearly anyone else, that everyone that covers the sport would have had a different reaction as to what took place. Yeah, I know Jason Leffler is not Dale Jr. Not even close. But when each guy pulls the same bonehead move, you should penalize them EQUALLY. Who cares if it won't be popular with millions of Jr fans watching at home, and at the track. DO THE RIGHT THING, NASCAR!

Having seen a lot of scary accidents over the years, I don't wish it on any racer. They can be gone in an instant. My favorite racer at age 5 was Fireball - a young kid will love a name like that one. At that age, it was hard to hear that he died. At any age, it is difficult to lose a favorite.

The main thing about Vickers-Earnhardt, Jr. - a racing incident that had poor judgment and many good cars suffered because of that decision. At this point, it is over and we're on to Fontana.

Glad that you had a good chuckle - I'm not too good at Mexican accents. American accents are tough enough as it is - thought you would like it though.

One of the worst wrecks I've seen in years occurred at Texas last year. I'm not kidding, I actually thought Michael McDowell was dead. What a horrific accident. But he walked away from it. And I couldn't have been more happier. To say people only tune in for the accidents is just a stupid thing to say.:2cents:

Is the "Fireball" story true? That he filled his roll cage with gas to stretch his mileage, and the cage caught fire in a wreck?

One of the worst wrecks I've seen in years occurred at Texas last year. I'm not kidding, I actually thought Michael McDowell was dead. What a horrific accident. But he walked away from it. And I couldn't have been more happier. To say people only tune in for the accidents is just a stupid thing to say.:2cents:

That was absolutely wicked.

Long live the COT.

Is the "Fireball" story true? That he filled his roll cage with gas to stretch his mileage, and the cage caught fire in a wreck?

As you know, I am friends with his daughter (Pam). I have a feeling that she may know, but I have always been weary of asking. There have been claims of yes and no. Part of me prefers to not know one way or the other.

i have 24 to win this year followed by stewart johnson and kyle busch

I like Gordon too this year. Dude is hungry.

I think he was kind of embarassed by not winning a race last year, and he's out to prove that was a fluke. Rumor is he might quit driving after 2010 too, and you KNOW he wants to go out on top.

JG's the kind of guy who can walk away when it's over too. He won't hang around like Martin and even Richard Petty did (driving-wise). His daughter has really changed his priorities, IMO.

I like Gordon too this year. Dude is hungry.

I think he was kind of embarassed by not winning a race last year, and he's out to prove that was a fluke. Rumor is he might quit driving after 2010 too, and you KNOW he wants to go out on top.

JG's the kind of guy who can walk away when it's over too. He won't hang around like Martin and even Richard Petty did (driving-wise). His daughter has really changed his priorities, IMO.

Man, his daughter is really cute. I bet we see more of her in victory lane this year, too.

I've never been to a race. When I was a kid in Richmond we could hear the races going on at the fair grounds. I bet people that don't like it probably have never been either. Something tells me it's alot more exciting when you can hear and see with your own eyes how fast they are. I've never kept up with it as much as most. I'll watch it sometimes, just would like to go to one someday.

Archived