Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sky diving

MOskins56

Since I have never gone, I don't have any tips for you, but I have ALWAYS wanted to do that, but unfortunately it's still sitting on my list of things I want to do before I'm 35. I would like to hear how things work out for you, and a review of skydiving co. you're jumping with.

Good Luck Homeboy!:thumbsup:

My sister-in-law's brother-in-law broke both his legs doing it. It's all in the landing, just be careful and try to roll if you can. Oh and....don't forget to pull the cord. ;) :laugh: :laugh: Have a blast and tell us about it when you get back! :D

Been as close as you can come without actually falling out. :)

My brother did a lot of skydiving down at VA Tech back in the early 80's. Good friend and I went with him to the drop zone WAY hung over early one Saturday morning ... ostensibly just to watch from the ground and make time with the diving bunnies (don't go there).

Wrong.

Ended up sitting backwards on the floor of a baby Cessna, next to the pilot, with my back (and emergency 'chute) against the bulkhead.

My bud in the back looking pale as Emo, my fighter jock brother and his fighter jock bud decked out in full diving gear and their hair on fire.

A long, slow climb to 10K feet.

Door pops open.

Loud.

Cold.

Left cheek of my arse hanging over the edge, with only 10,000 feet of SW Virginia air between it and Appalachia.

Bro climbs out onto the strut. Wind sucks his face back behind his head. Teeth and stuff. Scary.

His bud cozies up to him in the hatch. They exchange Beelzebub grins.

"GO! GO! GO!"

They go.

Emo and I watch as they tumble ... stabilize ... do some RW. Relative Work, for you uninitiated types.

Pilot goes all Ice Man on us and puts the Cessna on its side and goes into a 9,000 foot death spiral. I look at him throught eyes drug halfway to my chest by 3 G's. He reads my mind.

"Saves FUEL, man!"

I look straight to my left at the rapidly expanding foothills of Appalachia spiraling around and around and around. I regret the last 9 or 10 beers from the night before.

He pulls out at around a 1000 or so.

Does a barrel roll.

Emo grunts, leaves him a thank-you puddle in the back.

We land.

I roll out ... leave a thank-you puddle on the runway.

My brother screams at the pilot ... calls him many unsavory names for the barrell roll thing in a Cessna at like 500 feet.

I puddle some more and say "yeah, what he said."

Good times, man. You're gonna have a ball. ;)

You going static-line, free, or with an instructor tied to your back?

Mine was awesome. I went with a couple of buddies over Labor day about 7 years ago. We took off from a small strip near the ALabama/FLA border and landed on the beach in front of the Floribama lounge ( An insanely large bar right on the border).

We were in a tiny cessna and had to crawl out the side and shimy out holding onto a bar under the wing. I had my jump filmed and it is loud as hell when the doors fly open at 14 thousand feet. Even still you can see the tandem master tell me to let go of the bar and you can clearly see me tighten my grip and say "no f@#kin way". He has to literally rock his body to get me to let go.

Just under a minute of free-fall and about 25 minutes under canopy. All over the Gulf of Mexico and the coast.

The kicker- We all got to drink for free that night at the bar for providing "entertainment" You see, I didnt push down hard enough to "walk thorough" the landing and ended up eating a face of sand much to the delight of the crowd.

I recommend getting video and pics if they are offered. My place did a video and editied in a bunch of songs. It's a great souvenir.

It will also make you feel like you have no fear, so make sure you have a level headed friend with you that nioght so you dont take on a Hell's Angel's club.

Originally posted by Om

Been as close as you can come without actually falling out. :)

My brother did a lot of skydiving down at VA Tech back in the early 80's. Good friend and I went with him to the drop zone WAY hung over early one Saturday morning ... ostensibly just to watch from the ground and make time with the diving bunnies (don't go there).

Wrong.

Ended up sitting backwards on the floor of a baby Cessna, next to the pilot, with my back (and emergency 'chute) against the bulkhead.

My bud in the back looking pale as Emo, my fighter jock brother and his fighter jock bud decked out in full diving gear and their hair on fire.

A long, slow climb to 10K feet.

Door pops open.

Loud.

Cold.

Left cheek of my arse hanging over the edge, with only 10,000 feet of SW Virginia air between it and Appalachia.

Bro climbs out onto the strut. Wind sucks his face back behind his head. Teeth and stuff. Scary.

His bud cozies up to him in the hatch. They exchange Beelzebub grins.

"GO! GO! GO!"

They go.

Emo and I watch as they tumble ... stabilize ... do some RW. Relative Work, for you uninitiated types.

Pilot goes all Ice Man on us and puts the Cessna on its side and goes into a 9,000 foot death spiral. I look at him throught eyes drug halfway to my chest by 3 G's. He reads my mind.

"Saves FUEL, man!"

I look straight to my left at the rapidly expanding foothills of Appalachia spiraling around and around and around. I regret the last 9 or 10 beers from the night before.

He pulls out at around a 1000 or so.

Does a barrel roll.

Emo grunts, leaves him a thank-you puddle in the back.

We land.

I roll out ... leave a thank-you puddle on the runway.

My brother screams at the pilot ... calls him many unsavory names for the barrell roll thing in a Cessna at like 500 feet.

I puddle some more and say "yeah, what he said."

Good times, man. You're gonna have a ball. ;)

You going static-line, free, or with an instructor tied to your back?

Yeah, MOS, would like that review as detailed as possible, don't think I want to go through this experience on my first jump.:puke:

Archived