Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A.J. Smith or Bobby Beathard

MrButz65

Which GM style is the way to go? Beathard with his loyalty to players was successful and Smith with his "in the best interest of the team" philosophy has made San Diego relatively successful also.

I think that the Redskins won't be any better than mediocre as long as they stay with marginally average players strictly out of loyalty (Cartwright, Betts, Boschetti, Griffin, etc). I understand about releasing players and taking a cap hit, but the point is that there has to be a time to cut your losses and move on for the good of the team. Why pay somebody X millions of dollars NOT to make tackles, NOT get sacks, NOT to produce rush yards when you can pay somebody substantially less and get the same production.....or non-production?

A.J. Smith is willing to part with players and coaches and bring in younger/better talent and STILL keep the Chargers competitive. Why can't the Skins do the same thing (no Cerrato comments, please)? The days of loyalty and such left with #28 and people need to understand that these are different times.

For example, why not get rid of Portis for a 1 or 2 (doubtful anyone would pay that) and build with that? I'm only using Portis as an example because he's one of the very few players with substantial worth. I also use him because he's a long-time, established vet with a high number and has some productivity left in him.....so don't think that I'm bashing.

As a fan from the Coy Bacon days, I can't see too much hope until there's a change in philosophy in the way that players are handled.

Being this close to SD, I can tell you AJ Smith is a turd. He basically is a toadie like Vincenzo is but has a greater (read: some) knowledge of the game.

With the roster that they had and still having had Tomlinson healthy, if Smith hadn't thrown a **** fit and had Shottenheimer fired, they would have won a SB by now.

Bobby Beathard did win 2 superbowls as GM of the Redskins. When AJ does that, then we can compare them.

If Bobby was still GM in 1994; I doubt he would've hired Norv.

Not sure about that... Norv was the hottest commodity on the coaching market at the time and it was also viewed as weakening a division rival. Hiring Norv was a smart move at the time.

Seriously? This is not really a choice if you ask me. What guy was willing to draft a guy like Darrell Green and get many of our players through the 83 draft. It is considered one of the best drafts ever and he got many of our QBs that won the multiple Super Bowls. He picked up players from the USFL like Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. He got Earnest Byner when most people thought he was done. He got Wilbur Marshall right after the Bears won their Super Bowl. Then he traded for Humphries and got SD to their lone Super Bowl, so of course it would be Bobby Bethard. If you are asking should we get him? Of course we should try, but I think that he is retired and I doubt sincerely that he is going to come back. He was a great GM though.

Being this close to SD, I can tell you AJ Smith is a turd. He basically is a toadie like Vincenzo is but has a greater (read: some) knowledge of the game.

With the roster that they had and still having had Tomlinson healthy, if Smith hadn't thrown a **** fit and had Shottenheimer fired, they would have won a SB by now.

Agreed. Smith's biggest problem is he lets personality conflicts dictate management decisions, which you should be above at his level. The Marty fiasco boiled down to the two men didn't like each other. Fine, but if you have a successful coach who has a legitimate blueprint for a winning team, you don't throw him out with the bathwater just because he won't kowtow to your every whim.

Hard to say whether Vinny C. would be the same way, because the Dan's never given him enough slack on the leash the way Dean Spanos has done with A.J.

Archived