Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Online Fansasy leagues for XBOX...

codeorama

New line links video games, fantasy leagues

By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Combining two obsessions among sports fans — fantasy leagues and video games — likely won't help U.S. productivity.

But it's coming. Microsoft announced Monday a new brand of $50 sports video games, XSN Sports, meant to spur users to play over the Internet and band together in online fantasy leagues. Says Dan Hsu, editor-in-chief of Electronic Gaming Monthly: "They're planting seeds for when online gaming gets much, much bigger."

Online video games, especially as more consumers get the necessary broadband Internet connections, have an obvious appeal.

"Sports video games are incredibly popular," says David Cole of DFC Intelligence, a research firm that estimates 2002 U.S. sales of video-game hardware and software at $10 billion. "But the issue is finding somebody to play. Playing online, against anybody anytime, solves that big problem. It's the future of sports video games."

Various game-makers, including market-leader Electronic Arts, have made games that can be played online. But Microsoft's XSN eight-game line, which can only be used on Microsoft's Xbox console, includes the company's first Internet-enabled golf, snowboarding and basketball and offers a Web site where players can register their fantasy leagues. Xsnsports.com will compile results and standings and even forward the information to players' cell phones.

Microsoft product manager John Rodman suggests technology won't rest: "Real-time weather is a year away. If it's snowing at a real game in Denver, it'll be snowing in your online video game."

Originally posted by AJWatson3

this will be a blast.

i still think the xbox is worth the $300 i paid for it. best platform on the market. and in a few days we'll have the new matrix game.

Heck yeah it's the best. I have the PS2 and access to a game cube, they are fine, but the XBOX is just way ahead of it's time compared to them. XBOX Live rules. It blows away playing online games on the internet. I love it.

Archived