Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions: What to Look for From Jim Zorn in 2009

Oldfan

I have a good math aptitude which automatically leads to a distrust of any study. Designing a sound approach to measure something like this is a very difficult problem. So, I rely on common sense. Each receiver is a special case.

Charley Taylor, one of the WRs in your study, came into the NFL as a RB and played there for most of his first year. He learned to play the WR at the NFL level. One would expect him not to produce until his third year whereas Kelly's game was polished by a top flight college program. Albert Connell, another Redskin in your study, barely hung on to a roster spot as a fourth-round pick. His potential was about half that of Devin Thomas. The production he gave us in his third year was a surprise. Not much was expected of him.

There's no question about any of those cases. However, TO and Rice both came from small schools and really produced in their second seasons so it can go either way. Michael Irvin, Tim Brown, and Irving Fryar did do much in their first three or four seasons. Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell are interesting cases if for no other reason than they were probably the last two WR's to be stashed on IR as they did in the pre-FA years. I personally think the one thing to be learned is that patience is most needed when it comes to the WR position. Calvin Johnson's, Larry Fitzgerald's, etc. are truly the exception.

Thomas only started one season in college if I remember, so I'm not expecting much from him until his third season at earliest. I agree that Kelly was a bit more polished coming in and by all reports he has impressed the most in practices. I actually expected him to be the most NFL-ready of our picks. Hopefully, we find out for the better next season.

Archived