Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowher Passes On Jets Job...Because Goofball GM is Still There

Horatio

If this is true, it just adds fuel to the fire about why Cowher won't come here as long as Vinny Cerrato remains employed:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/30/report-tannenbaums-presence-causes-cowher-to-pass-on-jets/

Bill Cowher’s flirtation with the Jets apparently didn’t last too long.

According to ESPN’s John Clayton, Cowher was interested. He even had some preliminary discussions with the Jets regarding their head-coaching vacancy.

But the discussions, per Clayton, fell apart because ”there wasn’t a front-office configuration that interests him.”

In other words, the decision of owner Woody Johnson to fire only coach Eric Mangini and not G.M. Mike Tannenbaum has prevented the Jets from landing Cowher.

Cowher would have wanted final say over the roster. And Cowher would have wanted to bring Kevin Colbert and/or Omar Khan from the Steelers to run the personnel side of the business.

But Tannenbaum wasn’t going anywhere, so Cowher isn’t coming to town.

And that’s precisely the way Jets fans need to view this one. Johnson chose Tannenbaum over Cowher.

Johnson chose Tannenbaum, a lawyer who cozied up to Bill Parcells and became a salary-cap wizard and scratched the right backs and kissed the right asses and climbed over guys like Terry Bradway until Tannenbaum occupied a position where he could squander millions on overhyped veterans and suffer no consequences when they failed to succeed.

Johnson chose Tannenbaum over Cowher, a 15-year head coach who followed a living legend in Pittsburgh, led the Steelers to six AFC title game appearances, two Super Bowl berths, and won the same number of Lombardi Trophies that the Jets have claimed in the entire history of the franchise.

Who would you choose? Tannenbaum or Cowher?

Meanwhile, we’re amazed by the fact that the New York media has yet to focus on Tannenbaum’s responsibility for the current status of the team.

Tannenbaum signed Calvin Pace. Tannenbaum signed Damien Woody. Tannenbaum drafted Vernon Gholston. Tannenbaum traded for Brett Favre. Tannenbaum traded away John Abraham.

Johnson could have traded Tannenbaum for Cowher.

And didn’t.

Jets fans should be enraged.

I can only hope that Snyder rekindles talks with Cowher and gives Vinny his pink slip and gets the job here.:) I know there are alot of people that don't like the idea of Cowher coming here, but I do so don't bash me. We're all intitled to our opinions, right?

if I was a jets fan, I'd be livid... they pass up on cowher, who has always been blessed with great personnel decisions and I can only believe would bring in someone who has produced throughout his coaching career, they pass on him to keep a guy who tried to buy a championship and let go of their starting QB so a division rival could pick him up and beat them with him...

just when you think it can't get any worse with vinny, you read about the jets and lions... always the lions...

Archived