Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Records of Head Coaches in their First Years with a Team

#98QBKiller

Yeah, so what? The Lions have still scored more points overall than us this year; my point was regarding how crappy we've been scoring points on offnese this season, not about how we barely beat the Lions because Santana Moss returned a punt 80 yards for a TD.
Why say the scored more points than US, you obviously are not a Skins fan the way you bash them.

Personally I think Zorn deserves another year of trying to get things together I don't think he has done that bad going from a QB coach to a head coach. We all knew there would be some growing pains so let's see what happens. The only thing I do hope he does is bench JC that is a man who has had enough chances oops wait sorry we need to give him more TIME to develop sorry JC 5 years enough??

He inherited a 9-7 team that barely made the plaffs, and besides , just because they were a plasyoff team dosn't mean the players know his system.

Give the man a break and stop being a head hunter

No he inherited a team that WON in december when the stakes were the highest. He inherited a team that made two playoff appearances in 3 seasons and a team that was supposedly just missing a guy that could get Campbell over the hump and implement some kind of an NFL passing attack. Zorn has done none of that and has, in statistical fact, retarded the offense compared to last year.

No he inherited a team that WON in december when the stakes were the highest. He inherited a team that made two playoff appearances in 3 seasons and a team that was supposedly just missing a guy that could get Campbell over the hump and implement some kind of an NFL passing attack. Zorn has done none of that and has, in statistical fact, retarded the offense compared to last year.

No he inherited a Joe Gibbs team.

Who BTW had like 16 years experience as a HC.

inheriting a 9-7 team is hardly switzer-esque, zorn is one win away from tying that and in today's league with the FA, teams yo-yo from superbowl runner-ups to not even making the playoffs yearly.... it's a weak argument...

what I can't consider weak however is the general performance of the team... as a coach, I thought zorn failed to manage the team well (though I really question if the owner empowered him to do so) or adapt to the new schemes he was seeing after enough game tape on his offense was out there...

I think it's ludicrous to judge zorn on his potential as a HC after just one season... if synder is going to conduct a HC search the way he did, then take a chance on a guy that hadn't even been a coordinator, he should be very pleased with the teams overall record and realize taking such a chance had to afford room for growth...

No he inherited a Joe Gibbs team.

Who BTW had like 16 years experience as a HC.

Yeah I pretty much made that clear by my last post, and I was under the impression that that was a good thing. What kind of teams did Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson inherit??? BAD ONES so stop with the arguments of how great coaches lost in their first years with horrible teams.

It is clearly obvious that Zorn has taken a playoff team that only needed some upgrading in the passing department and he failed. Hell we still have the same run offense, his job was to get Campbell up to speed and improve the passing game. The run game is good, the D is top 5 again, that only leaves one option yet again.

Awesome Post. Zorn IS Belicheck! Helps me out tons. I didn't know! I just was going off what I was seeing before my very eyes like a tough veteran team with two playoff runs under it's belt implode on itself down the stretch and an offense that makes Marty Ball look like the Greatest Show on Turf. Look out Bill Walsh you got Matt Hasselbeck's personal trainer breathing down your neck for GOAT.

Lol. That's a lot of sarcasm coming from a guy with Richie Petitbon in his sig....can you say 4-12?

Yeah I pretty much made that clear by my last post, and I was under the impression that that was a good thing. What kind of teams did Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson inherit??? BAD ONES so stop with the arguments of how great coaches lost in their first years with horrible teams.

It is clearly obvious that Zorn has taken a playoff team that only needed some upgrading in the passing department and he failed. Hell we still have the same run offense, his job was to get Campbell up to speed and improve the passing game. The run game is good, the D is top 5 again, that only leaves one option yet again.

Are you implying that there are only 3 parts to a football team? You've just made a couple of really stupid arguments in this thread.

He inherited a 9-7 team that barely made the plaffs, and besides , just because they were a plasyoff team dosn't mean the players know his system.

Give the man a break and stop being a head hunter

He inherited a team that made the playoffs in two of the past three years and got inordinately healthier this year. The list of starters at the beginning of 2007 that did not finish 2007 or were severly limited was incredible. All were back for Zorn and he still blew it:

Campbell

Marcus Washington

Shawn Springs

McIntosh

Rogers

I know I am forgetting some others.

EDIT: Oh, Jansen, Thomas...still thinking

Then, of course, there was Taylor, who could not make it back.

This team had 11 wins written in the books for a competent coach. Not a great coach, just merely competent. Incompetence had them lose to a no-win team (Rams) and one-win team (Bengals). Those are the 11 wins right there. It is very simple. Zorn was not ready for this job.

Truth be told I didn't think we'd get over 7 wins to start the season, so we're good in my book. With that list of head coaches you have to realize that most inherited much worse teams than what Zorn got. But, also, to be fair, he's in the toughest division in football. He could finish 9-7 and still be in last place in the nfc east. If we were part of some pansy division then I would agree, he should be 11-5 at the minimum. I'm satisfied with how he's done. Is it just me or does it feel like the redskins are over-achieving every year they finish with a winning record?

Archived