Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall Away Game Stats?

JangoFett

Does anyone know what Hall's stats are for FGs in away games? There seems to be some complaints about his accuracy, but the meadowlands is a windy venue, and must be really tough to kick in during the winter. I think away games might be a better proxy for his acccuracy.

Thanks in advance.

Last year 16/19 overall in road games, with 5/7 from the all important distance of 40-49.

2001 13/16 overall in road games, and 6/6 from 40-49 yards out.

The thing that worries me though is his kickoffs have declined every year he's been in the league.

G KO Avg TB Avg TD

16 85 66.6 29 21.0 0

16 84 67.8 24 22.8 0

16 77 66.0 12 25.2 0

15 67 64.6 9 23.1 0

16 74 63.3 9 21.6 0

16 79 62.4 5 21.3 1

Last year his average kickoffs were landing around the 7 or 8 yard line. That really isn't all that much better than anyone else we have had in the last few years.

This is my favorite marketing angle on Hall - the wind at the Meadowlands brought his home percentage down. I was at every home game and I can tell you that in the worst wind, he had some of his best games (see Indy). The big problem was his low trajectory that got kicks blocked (4 times, one on a game-winning attempt). And don't be confused into thinking he was kicking low to bore through the wind - this also happened on short kicks and extra points (1 blocked, the other too low). Also, out of 79 KOs, only 5 were touchbacks - once the NFL switched to the designated kickers' ball this became an issue.

Westhoff's quote: ""Here's the way I judge kickers," said Westhoff, applying his theorem to Hall. "I felt John could make the kick ... but the question is, if he didn't make it, were you shocked? If you're shocked, that's a guy you can't afford to lose. If you weren't shocked ... I'll leave it at that."

Hall's an overall solid kicker and an upgrade for the Skins. He hit a 53 yarder to put us into the playoffs in 2001, he also missed a 35 yarder that knocked us out in 2000 - that's a wash. I'd be happier with him than I am now without him. Just recognize what he is - an average veteran NFL kicker.

OK, Flow, to what would you attribute the large discrepancy between Hall's road and home kicking %? It is not statistically insignificant.

You say it's not the wind. Can he just not perform in front of the home crowd?

On one hand Flow is completely nuts to suggest kicking in the Meadowlands -- not to mention New England and Buffalo later in the year -- didn't bring down Hall's kicking percentage. This is especially silly considering just how much better he's kicked on the road. New York isn't an easy place to kick. Hall probably should get a small boost by kicking in generally better weather in D.C. as his home.

On the other hand, Flow is right. Hall is not an elite kicker. While he's better than just an average kicker, the excitement in having him is less that he's a savior so much as that he's such a dramatic improvement from where we've been that it's hard not to see in our minds just how many games he'd have made a difference in if we had him all along.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

OK, Flow, to what would you attribute the large discrepancy between Hall's road and home kicking %? It is not statistically insignificant.

You say it's not the wind. Can he just not perform in front of the home crowd?

Well, is it really statistically significant? The guy went 8/12 at home. I know at least 2 of his 4 blocks were at home (Cleve, Minn). The only 50+ yarder he attempted all season was at home and he missed. Remove those 3 misses and he's 8/9 at home (89% v. 67%). So how "statistically significant" is the evidence of the wind factor anyway? I'd imagine this theory is not further advanced by the fact that the Giant's sh!tty kicker had a much better record in that "wind tunnel" than he did on the road.

In those rare instances when the wind is actually a factor, it'll usually just cause a coach to change his gameplan and go for the first down, rather than chance it with the kicker. I personally think if there was a real disadvantage for kickers in the Meadowlands, it was the poor footing rather than the wind. If you Skins want to argue with Jets fans, throw that one out instead - it's more convincing. The newly installed FieldTurf will take care of that in 2003.

Originally posted by Art

On one hand Flow is completely nuts to suggest kicking in the Meadowlands -- not to mention New England and Buffalo later in the year -- didn't bring down Hall's kicking percentage.

One additional quick fact - Hall's % the first 2 months in balmy September and October was 66% and as the weather worsened and Old Man Winter attended games in November and December, he was 84%.

Average monthy wind gusts to follow. :read: :geek:

Archived