Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brad Johnson: Need Redskin fan opinions.

Taco John

Overall Physical Ability:

4 (below average IMO)

Arm strength:

3 (seemed sore, but he claimed it wasn't)

Accuracy:

7 (above average in short to medium range)

Scrambling ability:

3 (too slow)

Pocket Mobility:

7 (great awareness)

Instincts:

8 (again, great awareness)

Leadership:

6 (slightly above average, led by example)

Achievements (big wins):

5 (not rattled easily, made few mistakes, played within abilities)

Durability: 7 (often beat up but played hurt, without complaint)

Intangibles (that "it" that people talk about): 6

Solid, not great. Didn't often singlehandedly lose games.

56/100

I wasn't all that enamored of him in those days. My thinking then was that he was a great guy, decent QB, but ill suited for what the Redskins were trying to do at the time. It wasn't his fault necessarily, but had the same result. Honestly, I wouldn't have predicted a Lombardi in his future. I'm happy for him and I'm sure he's happy as heck to be where he is, as opposed to where he was.

I was very happy to see him go after '00, and was actually angry when we traded for him (during the disastrous '98 season I had spent the entire fall scouting Culpepper, Couch, McNown, McNabb, A. Smith, and Huard, and was quite sold on Culpepper as a franchise QB that was a must draft target w/one of our picks. It made me ill to see us seek a quick fix answer to save the jobs of Casserly and Turner, at the time).

Here are the categories for rating Johnson. Please rate each on a 1-10 scale and leave a comment on each criteria:

Overall Physical Ability: 6

He can make most of the throws, has size and some strength, and while not quick, can move and adjust in the pocket.

Arm strength: 6

Can make most of the throws necessary but not w/consistency, lacks zip on certain balls, and his deep ball often flutters. Not bad, but not great either.

Accuracy: 8

Is exceptionally accurate, especially considering his only moderate arm strength and his difficulty w/making some of the throws. Consistently finishes w/a 60% or more completion percentage and that is terrific.

Scrambling ability: 4

Doesn't show much ability in the running game or to make plays on the run, can do so from time to time but certainly shows no special qualities in this arena.

Pocket Mobility: 6

Can move around the pocket and adjust to make throws in proper throwing lanes, makes key adjustments w/some consistency during blitzes. He does a perfectly fine job here, good but not great. Takes sacks he probably shouldnt at times, but he's basically average in this field.

Instincts: 5

He can play at times w/great instinctiveness, but at times he can also bumble blindlessly about like Jim Everett or Tony Eason in a big game. This is not an asset of his, but its not a big negative either. He's just mediocre here.

Leadership: 6

One probably has to ask the players he played w/for an answer to this question. He seems to have done a solid job of winning all over the place w/Washington, Minny and Tampa, and that speaks to potential leadership skills. His teams usually produce, and he isnt a coach killer like Jeff George, but he also acted like a whiny tool in Washington in '00 and in Minny in '98, and it appears that his leadership skills may only extend to when things are going great. Then again, his winning percentage puts him a mild + in this category.

Achievements (big wins): 4/5

Virtually non-existant until this year, he rarely came up w/the big win when it mattered. Didn't show an impressive ability to come up big in the biggest games. His Bucs won this year, but its important to note that he could have cost the game early in the Super Bowl w/a key interception. It didnt happen in no small part because of the defense, and Pittman, but BJ also bounced back. Still that Super Bowl doesnt erase year after year of futility in big games including key roles in defeats (particularly the Bucs defeat of the Redskins in January of 2000).

Durability: 3

Consistently misses games year in and year out w/great regularity. In recent years he's been relatively more successful at staying healthy but his past history of injuries suggests that he's always a risk, game to game, to sustain a season ending injury and cannot be relied upon, ever, to finish a season. I believe he's only completed two seasons healthy in his entire career.

Intangibles (that "it" that people talk about): 5

He has to have something special to have lasted this long, and succeeded more or less, in the league despite accomplishing nothing whatsoever of note in college. He's put up excellent numbers w/three different teams and quarterbacked all three to the playoffs (I think he did so w/Minny once, though I cant remember w/certainty). He doesn't have the "winners" aura about him, but he does have a competitors aura around him, the ability to step in and produce under center and lead his team to the playoffs. But once in the playoffs his foibles normally show up and his teams fail to live up to their reps.

Originally posted by One Dollar

Brad threw one duck in the SB, the first play while being pressured by Upshaw, after that he was the field general that helped the offense win it by maintaining long sustained drives. He is a tough SOB and well deserved of his ring.

Remember it's a team game, no one person gets credit. The Bucs had one of the most dominant playoff runs to a SB title in a long time.

Hey a Regan Upshaw sighting! Hope he makes some similar plays this year.

Archived