Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami to the ACC?

GrapeApe

Has there been any discussion of this topic? What are your thoughts. I know we have a bunch of Hokies here.

I was originally for it. Thinking that the Big East was a lousy conference to begin with. I hate the BBall only schools and that ND doesn't play football and Miami doesn't play baseball in the BE. I figured VT and Pitt would be alright with invites to other big time conferences. But now I'm against it. I'm not confident that those left behind can find fits elsewhere and it would be totally devastating to them. While I think it is probably in Miami's best interest, it really hurts VT and WVU in particular.

I don't think the ACC will add either of those schools. I don't see the SEC or Big 10 inviting either school, at least anytime soon. By then the damage to Tech may be done.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

This could hurt Tech in a major way if Miami, BC and Cuse were to leave. It would mean either joining Conference USA or hoping that the SEC invited VT (which would be the most logical) VT would get crushed in ACC bball and not to mention that VT is not in a big TV market. This does not bode well if Maimi leaves- Big East football is over as we know it

It's great for college football. All 5 BCS conferences will be on even footing--it will do a great deal to legitimize the ACC as a football conference.

Of course, it's awful for Tech...but that isn't of particular interest to me. As a college football fan, I hope Miami joins the ACC...and Cuse and BC follow.

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/s/2003/0505/1549669.html

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0504/1549269.html

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/maisel_ivan/1549673.html

a few links to articles on the issue.

i am all for it. i am a big ACC fan (GT, UMD, UVA), and my pop's a UMiami grad, so we would get to see our teams play more frequently. also would love to see the ACC have a championship game!

Yeah, nothing like stealing teams from another conference in order to add legitimacy to your own :rolleyes:

To bad the Big East is taking it on the chin here...not like they (a Big East team) didnt win the national championship in Basketball and Football this year (ok, THE OSU won via the refs ;))...

At least the ACC recognizes that the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 have more tradition and overall better competition--they realize that there is a gap, and they are taking steps to close the gap.

Can't really kill them for trying.

Originally posted by GGB81

At least the ACC recognizes that the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 have more tradition and overall better competition--they realize that there is a gap, and they are taking steps to close the gap.

Can't really kill them for trying.

Looks like they realize that about the Big East too - trying to take some of the top teams from it....

Bie East basketball is always underrated...and football is always placing 5-6 teams in Bowl Games...usually 2 or 3 in Jan. 1 BCS bowl games....

The Big East is a pretty weak football conference, definitely below the ACC--this is reflected in it not being one of the 5 BCS Conferences.

The Big East (like the ACC) is a basketball conference first. That might have changed if they had put together the deal for ND football. As it stands, they are in big trouble.

The Big East is a pretty weak football conference, definitely below the ACC--this is reflected in it not being one of the 5 BCS Conferences.

The Big East (like the ACC) is a basketball conference first. That might have changed if they had put together the deal for ND football. As it stands, they are in big trouble.

Uh, last time I checked there were 6 BCS conferences (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC).

The winner of the Big East is GUARENTEED a BCS position.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Huh? Big East-a pretty weak fball conference? Below ACC? The ACC only has one fball team FSU that is why they want to add Miami. How is it not one of the 5 BCS conferences? The Big East is a lot better at football than the ACC.

The only reason Miami, Cuse, and BC join the ACC is bc of $$$ and tv $$$. $$$ is why there is a BCS and money will be the reason there will be a playoff. Tradition and rivalries don't mean jack in cfb, its all about the benjamins.

Yeah, I blew it on the BCS thing. Stupid.

As to the ACC vs. Big East--ACC has 4 teams in the pre-season top 25--FSU, NC State, UVA and Maryland)--Big East has three (Pitt, VT, Miami).

Yeah, I blew it on the BCS thing. Stupid.

As to the ACC vs. Big East--ACC has 4 teams in the pre-season top 25--FSU, NC State, UVA and Maryland)--Big East has three (Pitt, VT, Miami).

Sorry but Pre-season rankings mean nothing to me (wasn't Oregon in the top 3 last year pre-season?), last years final AP Top 25 rankings had 4 Big East teams (5 if you count ND - which is Big East in name only) and 4 ACC teams. Pretty equal to me, except one of those Big East Teams was in the Nat'l Champ and was the defending Nat'l Champ.

I wonder why the 2nd place Big East team last year was left out of the preseason top 25? WVU gets no respect :doh: Grrrrr.....ok preseason rankings tick me off - so they do mean something...lol

The Big East and ACC are about equal. Both have 1 super team and a few good teams with a bunch of lousy teams.

Neither conference would have a BCS bid without the two Fla schools.

The ACC is too close for comfort to losing theirs. There is a rule that if the conference doesn't average a 12 ranking in the BCS polls over 4 years, the league could lose its automatic bid. With FSU's troubles, and Marylands #10 in 2001 and FSU's #14 last year, its going to be interesting if Miami doesn't get added.

Okay, but where are those three Big East teams and where are those four ACC teams? Most preseason rankings I've seen have both Miami and VT in the top 10 with Miami in the top 3. I haven't seen an ACC team sniff the top 10.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Sorry but Pre-season rankings mean nothing to me (wasn't Oregon in the top 3 last year pre-season?), last years final AP Top 25 rankings had 4 Big East teams (5 if you count ND - which is Big East in name only) and 4 ACC teams. Pretty equal to me, except one of those Big East Teams was in the Nat'l Champ and was the defending Nat'l Champ.

I wonder why the 2nd place Big East team last year was left out of the preseason top 25? WVU gets no respect :doh: Grrrrr.....ok preseason rankings tick me off - so they do mean something...lol

WVU deserves no respect. IF they get a bowl game-they usually lose. A big time bowl game and they get crushed.

I can see why adding Syracuse, Miami makes sense. Football powers which will improve the ACC-which is nothing in football after Florida St. Boston College is wanted for the Boston market only.

WVU could join Conference USA.

Archived