Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funny what pressure can do to a QB. . .

mcarey032

What is funny to me that is that if you look at the Giants Eagles game, what happened to Eli is what happened to campbell last week.

Campbell was pressure and was forced to make some tough throws.

Eli was pressured this week and was forced to make tough throws.

Redskins receivers dropped big passes at critical times.

Giants receivers dropped big passes at critical times.

The running game was shut down by the Giants D.

The running game was shut down by the Eagles D.

The offense couldn't score on the Giants and had to rely on its defense.

The offense couldn't score on the Eagles and had to rely on its defense.

Sound and look familiar?

If your QB is pressure and doesn't have time to make plays you aren't going to win.

The Giants up until this game, were considered the best team in football and they got beat because their offense was continually under pressure from the eagles and couldn't get enough points. Their receivers dropped passes, their running game was absolutely stuffed and could do nothing. Their defense kept it close, but because they were out on the field for so long and the Eagles offensive line (which really has been inconsistent until this game), stepped up. They were able to block and give McNabb the time he needed to make plays. I think that the eagles don't have great skill position players (with the exception of Westbrook), but McNabb was able to beat the Giants by throwing and running and that was because his offensive line gave him a chance to win. If Campbell were to have the same opportunity, I would be willing to bet that he could accomplish the same things.

At this point it's like......how many times have we had this discussion here?

First time I've read the comparison with the Giants game today. Does put the game in the different perspective.

Although, we have had this discussion numerous times since last year when the exact same situation happened to Tom Brady. :D

Apparently not enough because some people think that if you put in the messiah, Colt Brennan, that he is going to take this team to the promised land. Not going to happen. Colt may be a great College QB, but he has a lot learn in regards to making it as pro QB. Nobody on this roster could do as well as Jason Campebell has done and I think that people out there think that changing the QB would be the answer. Unless they get Dan Marino and have him throwing ultra quick routes, there is no way that a QB would do any better than what Jason has done.

I think that this team has trouble with 3-4 defenses. There is not enough creativity when it comes to moving the pocket. Jason is a target back there with a subpar offensive line and to level the entire blame on Jason Campbell and not the coaching staff for their rigid philiosophy is being short sided and foolish.

We've had this discussion a million times. Campbell had pretty damn good protection, all things considered, against the giants. He didnt make any more plays in that game than he did today. Our problems are not just pressure. Good teams can deal with pressure; QB's have hot reads for that reason. Good QB's can read a defense, sense where the blitz is coming from; "feel" the pressure with their pocket presence, and get rid of the ball quickly. Romo sits to pee does this naturally. He moves around the pocket, feels the pressure, and gets rid of the ball, while making defenders miss. Campbell doesnt seem to have this ability. And another problem is his god-awful slow release. In the face of pressure, you gotta have a quick release. Its mandatory. A long windup, zero pocket presence, inability to read a defense, etc, is the reason why he struggles more often than not.

You act like QB's all have 6-8 seconds to make their reads. That almost never happens. Usually, you snap the ball and you have 3-4 seconds before you need to make a decision, and get the ball out. If you consider that it takes campbell 2 full seconds for his windup and release, that gives him only a 2 second window to make reads, and get the ball out. Seriously, he's just not fast enough to be in this kind of offense, and if he needs 5, 6, or 7 seconds every single time in order to make a play, then obviously he's a bum.

BTW, the eagles offensive line coaching staff desevers a bonus or something because they were getting a massive push on the Giants D line in that game. In games past that I have watched they couldn't convert and short yardage and were often held against defenses (Chicago and Dallas to name the ones off the top of my head).

You act like QB's all have 6-8 seconds to make their reads. That almost never happens. Usually, you snap the ball and you have 3-4 seconds before you need to make a decision, and get the ball out.

Uh I was at the game tonight, Flacco had 6-8 seconds. Might almost never happens, but it happens EVERY week for our opponents QB's.

We've had this discussion a million times. Campbell had pretty damn good protection, all things considered, against the giants. He didnt make any more plays in that game than he did today. Our problems are not just pressure. Good teams can deal with pressure; QB's have hot reads for that reason. Good QB's can read a defense, sense where the blitz is coming from; "feel" the pressure with their pocket presence, and get rid of the ball quickly. Romo sits to pee does this naturally. He moves around the pocket, feels the pressure, and gets rid of the ball, while making defenders miss. Campbell doesnt seem to have this ability. And another problem is his god-awful slow release. In the face of pressure, you gotta have a quick release. Its mandatory. A long windup, zero pocket presence, inability to read a defense, etc, is the reason why he struggles more often than not.

You act like QB's all have 6-8 seconds to make their reads. That almost never happens. Usually, you snap the ball and you have 3-4 seconds before you need to make a decision, and get the ball out. If you consider that it takes campbell 2 full seconds for his windup and release, that gives him only a 2 second window to make reads, and get the ball out. Seriously, he's just not fast enough to be in this kind of offense, and if he needs 5, 6, or 7 seconds every single time in order to make a play, then obviously he's a bum.

Yes I understand that QBs have 3-4 seconds, but I would be willing to submit that he doesn't even have that much time more often than not. The pocket is being pushed in the middle, the ends were being collapsed. I don't think that he has had all that much time at all. He is the 4th most sacked QB in the league. Yes there are times when he should obviously throw the ball away like in the steelers game, but there were times when he got to the top of the drop and he was getting slammed. That isn't feeling pressure. That is poor line play, plain and simple.

The difference is that Manning actually moved the ball, read the coverage and actually had 3 or 4 good drives. JC had... nothing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the eagles play soft at the end and the giants were able to move the ball? The same thing happened for the Redskins. They were able to move the ball in garbage time, but by that time what did it matter? The Redskins didn't score last week on that drive, but they did get garbage minutes. The giants looked just like we did last week, minus the rain.

No, as I recall the Giants were moving the ball well through the 3rd 1/4. The game wasn't settled 'til the very end.

hey now.. they had the ball 3minutes in the third quarter. the gnats got fed crow on a paper plate today. they were never in the game.. owned in every possible way, don't let that score fool you.

You missed an important point. Despite all of the pressure, Eli and the Giants had ZERO turnovers. That tells me they weren't making mistakes, just a lack of execution. There offense simply wasn't clicking today and it's a relative anomaly.

Jason Campbell's mistakes and the Redskins offense not clicking is not an anomaly, it's a trend.

Archived