Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Checkdown to the Backs

method man

Why can't we check down in the earlier downs to our backs to beat the blitz? The Giants used this a lot against us and Ward had a huge game. Portis and Betts are great at YAC and often rumble for first downs and even more. I didn't see that many checkdowns in this game. I feel Campbell needs to go for the backs on first and second down to get the passing game going instead of our ****ty receiving corps. Taking shorter drops and getting rid of the ball quickly would help out Jansen, the poor pass protector, a lot.

Why can't we check down in the earlier downs to our backs to beat the blitz? The Giants used this a lot against us and Ward had a huge game. Portis and Betts are great at YAC and often rumble for first downs and even more. I didn't see that many checkdowns in this game. I feel Campbell needs to go for the backs on first and second down to get the passing game going instead of our ****ty receiving corps. Taking shorter drops and getting rid of the ball quickly would help out Jansen, the poor pass protector, a lot.

Dallas did that to us a lot. Or if not to their backs, the throws were made to a WR on the los. Who would then run for 8 yds. When we tried anything like that we got a yard or two or a loss on the play. Happened the entire game. Really frustrating to watch.

:applause:

I don't know. But, i think it would work. In the Steelers game Zorn/JC starting doing this in the second half (too late) and Clinton had around 7 catches for 70 yards. A big part of Philly's WCO features passes to Westbrook, granted Westbrook is a great receiver for a RB but our backs don't suck.

:cheers:

Clipboard Campbell is going to get Jim Zorn fired if someone doesn't take a stand.

While Portis is good at this himself, the guy is very banged up and we should limit his touches. Catching checkdowns and rumbling for the first down happens to be Betts's strong suit so let's run this play with him. This will force the safeties to stick the running back a bit closer, which should help our recently nonexistent deep passing game. The Ravens' pass D has not been quite there recently with McAllister looking a bit washed up.

Clipboard Campbell is going to get Jim Zorn fired if someone doesn't take a stand.

In that case, Zorn is responsible for putting Campbell on the field, so ultimately Zorn would be responsible for his own job security. Campbell is fine; I can't wait until everyone finds someone else (deserving) to pick on.

You gotta stretch the field and actually respect our middle/deep passing game so it will clear out for backs to catch passes.

In that case, Zorn is responsible for putting Campbell on the field, so ultimately Zorn would be responsible for his own job security. Campbell is fine; I can't wait until everyone finds someone else (deserving) to pick on.

You make a good point there. Maybe I should have addressed that to Zorn.

You gotta stretch the field and actually respect our middle/deep passing game so it will clear out for backs to catch passes.

Well when the Ravens bring 6 or 7 guys on the blitz, the backs will probably be left open. Furthermore, we could do with Cooley what the Giants did with Boss. Have him block for a second and then leave for a route.

It doesn't necessarily have to be via checkdowns, it can be through screens as well. But I've been disappointed with how little our backs have been involved in the passing game thus far this season. It seems that, whenever we run a screen to a RB, it goes for 10+ yards. the one time that we ran a screen to CP it went for around 18 yards, if I recall correctly. But how many times did we throw on 1st down all game? Off the top of my head, I can't remember any more than 3 times, 4th quarter junk time notwithstanding.

It doesn't necessarily have to be via checkdowns, it can be through screens as well. But I've been disappointed with how little our backs have been involved in the passing game thus far this season. It seems that, whenever we run a screen to a RB, it goes for 10+ yards. the one time that we ran a screen to CP it went for around 18 yards, if I recall correctly. But how many times did we throw on 1st down all game? Off the top of my head, I can't remember any more than 3 times, 4th quarter junk time notwithstanding.

Basically Zorn has to take the running game to the passing game. Trying to tackle Portis or Betts at full-speed wears down the D as much as running the ball off tackle.

Archived