Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins schedule last year vs this year

Chief skin

Last year the Skins were 5-3 in the friendly confines of FEDEX

and a measly 2-6 on the road. With the schedule being more difficult this year and the team improved can we expect to go at least 5-3 on the road this year and 6-2 at home for a 11-5 record??

Originally posted by Posse81

You never know because as the last few years have taught us, teams that may look good now, may not look so good in mid-October and teams that we dismiss now, may be tougher than we originally thought.

Excellent point. I remember last year when the schedule came out, the Rams game caught the most attention.

The schedule is far more brutal than people realize. Based on last year's records, the Skins wouldn't be favored to win a *single game* until Week 9 -- home against Seattle. That's followed by favored games in Weeks 15 and 16 (Dallas at home, Chicago away), and that's it.

Last year's record and this year's schedule says we'll go 3-13.

We will do better, of course. But realism dictates that every win above 3-13 is an overachievement on paper. That's brutal.

Ramsey has to just manage the game, understand the offense. He's got enough talent now that he doesn't have to win the game alone. He's got to rely on Gardner, Coles, Jacobs, and Canidate/Betts to make plays and get things done. I don't believe he has to go out there and throw darts and make all kinds of plays with his arm ala Farve. Just play within the confines of the offense, take what the defense gives him, and make the proper read progressions on each play.

I'd like to see FedEx become a place where teams fear to play, that our offense just humms there and the defense is extra stingy. No sense in specifiying wins and losses home and away, and evaluating teams today is useless come October/Dec.

With free agency, how much does schedule REALLY matter anymore? Teams reload year to year and crummy teams can look great while great teams can look crummy. Who thought that Jeff George would light up St. Louis a couple years ago? The Skins need to worry about themselves not the schedule. We should have beaten several top flight teams last year we lost to.

The Schedule is quite awful this year. If we get off to a bad start we could be in trouble. If we make it in the playoff I think that means we have a very good team. If we go 10-6 and make it in the playoffs I think that would mean we have a very good chance of making it out of the NFC and challenge for the Super Bowl.

There are too many ifs and variables to determine how well we will do this year. I see the 4 main factors in order of importance as:

1. Coaching - SS was mediocre at best last season. Will need real improvement here especially as teams adjust to us. Must must must cut down the mistakes.

2. QB - 5 starts?...let's hope Ramsey doesn't try to do it alone

3. Pass rush - Will we be able to generate one?

4. Rushing - Can't win completely in through the a

All the above assume injuries fall in the normal range.

Originally posted by Romo sits to pee

The Schedule is quite awful this year. If we get off to a bad start we could be in trouble. If we make it in the playoff I think that means we have a very good team. If we go 10-6 and make it in the playoffs I think that would mean we have a very good chance of making it out of the NFC and challenge for the Super Bowl.

The interesting thing about the schedule is that it's packed with difficult but not unwinnable games. We tend to get a lot of tough games at home (Bucs, Jets, Saints, Patriots), and some of the softer teams on the road (Bears, Panthers, Bills). Also, the schedule is very well paced, with an early game to start the year (giving a longer gap for game 2), and no Monday night or other odd game that distorts game prep time.

It's the sort of schedule that a disciplined, Gibbs-coached team would thrive on, taking it one week at a time and rolling up an improbably high number of wins.

It's also the sort of schedule that last year's team would flail against, finding ways to lose a high number of these slightly daunting, yet not terrifying games.

If this team is not hitting on all cylinders by the preseason games, it will be a long year. We'll see how much Spurrier has learned, and how able he is to field a Gibbs-like, disciplined team by August.

with FA and parody in the league. u never know. i'm sure everyone's schedule looks tougher this year, and as for the ones that may appear to be easy, i imiaginei it's alot harder then percieved. when i comes down to it, the bottom line is win division games

Archived