Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gator Haters - Who would you have chosen at 44 instead?

GatorEye

Anyone that thought we woudl not take Jacobs at 44 was delusioonal. Jacobs was a steal at 44.

When I interviewed Ron Nay, Redskins Scouting Director, he wa svery high on Jacobs and that was before we signed Coles. He said they woudl take Jacobs over washington, but felt Jacobs woudl not be there at 13.

jacobs was a value pick, no question. He adds more potential to the reciever core.

but why just get value? why not get value AND fill a more pressing need. Such as youth on the DL with peterson or Redding or Dewayne White. Or Doss at safety. Or given the Smoot rumors, was that corner who got shot taken yet? I don't remember seeing his name (Weathersby??).

Jacobs wasn't a bad pick. But the DL still needs a young exceptionable prospect. The skins once again forgo taking DL in the first two rounds; with the exception of Kenard lang and bobby Wilson, who was the last DLman the skins took in the 1st or 2cd? I think you may have to go back to pre-Gibbs or Allen days..... and I'm not talking trades such as Butz, Wilkenson, or "god made me do it" Gilbert.

It had nothing to do with him being a Gator! Just don't think we needed another WR as opposed to DL or S. It seems as if half the team is WRs or RBs (exageration). We going to take Washington in the third just to piss off the Jets some more? You know I hope Jacobs ends up being incredible but there are only so many balls to go around. Spurrier's offense better produce next year. He has zero excuses left and all the "tools" he should ever need. I'm not overly impressed with our DL and would have preferred help there.:rolleyes:

As a true Gator fan with season tickets next year, I feel obliged to point out that Taylor Jacobs was our lone truly standout receiver last year and he did not contribute that much. He has excellent feet and speech, probably a result of the Spurrier system, but his hands have yet to catch up.

Is he talent? Sure. He'll work, but honestly, he wasn't first round material, no matter how well you perform in front of a few scouts by yourself. I was shocked people were putting him in first round.

It may seem blasphemy as a Gator to say this, but I must: the year before in the Spurrier system, Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell BOTH had 1000+ yds, and Taylor Jacobs didn't have a bad sum himself. This year the closets person to Taylor was Carlos Perez, with something like 600 yds, I don't know exactly, but all this can be seen as a result of the absolutely atrocious Zook/Zaunbrecher system--

BUT PERHAPS

It can also be seen as a factor in the Taylor / Rex relationship. We know Rex was capable, but I can't tell you how many times in the Swamp or on tv last year that Taylor dropped passes that would NEVER have been dropped by the likes of even Doering in Gator years past.

We're going to have to work on his hands and NFL skill a lot.

When I saw the picks of the other teams leading up to the Skins selection I started getting uncomfortable. I was hoping that he would be gone by the time we picked for the reasons that were stated in the beginning of this thread.

I just don't like the nepatism (sp) that I see with Spurrier and his Florida glory days. He force fed the Redskins faithful with blue and orange last season and by seasons end finally realized that the guys he brought in were just not NFL caliber players. I have to admit in a "I told you so" kind of way, I was glad to see his PROJECT GATOR blow up in his face. I feel as though if he had not forced the issues we may have came away with a better record by seasons end and perhaps a wildcard spot.

I am not a GATOR HATER and I hope that Taylor Jacobs becomes the next great WR in the NFL. But in some perverse way, I almost want to see him choke on his decision to keep going back to the poison well.

I would have taken safety Mike Doss from OSU.

I really have to disagree here. It seemed like going up the draft that Doss had several ?, either coverage ability, size, speed, whatever.....and if the skins really felt that he could answer their SS problems they would have drafted him. But Jacobs on the other had was expected to be a high round draft pick. I personally don't think he was a 13 pick which many suspected us taking him, but at 44 he is a steal. Consider this, now we have a true 3 deep WR corp, the kind of which can cause alot of matchup problems against defenses, with speed and size...I would take this pick 10 times out of 10.

Originally posted by rdogblue

I really have to disagree here. It seemed like going up the draft that Doss had several ?, either coverage ability, size, speed, whatever.....and if the skins really felt that he could answer their SS problems they would have drafted him. But Jacobs on the other had was expected to be a high round draft pick. I personally don't think he was a 13 pick which many suspected us taking him, but at 44 he is a steal. Consider this, now we have a true 3 deep WR corp, the kind of which can cause alot of matchup problems against defenses, with speed and size...I would take this pick 10 times out of 10.

Mike Doss

SELECTED BY INDIANAPOLIS , ROUND 2, PICK 26, OVERALL PICK 58

SS | (5-10, 207, 4.55) | OHIO STATE

By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: Played in every game as a true 18-year-old freshman in 1999 and started the final two. Started every game in 2000 and '01 and was an All-Big Ten selection and a Sporting News All-American in both seasons. Had 43 tackles and broke up two passes in 1999. Had 94 tackles, including 13 for loss, with six passes broken up, three interceptions and two fumble recoveries for touchdowns in 2000. Posted 87-10-4-3 and four fumble recoveries with a touchdown and two blocked punts in '01. Started all 14 games in '02, recording 107 tackles -- 65 solo and 42 assists -- five tackles for losses, two interceptions for 80 yards and one fumble recovery. Was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, a consensus All-American and a Jim Thorpe Award finalist.

Positives: Big, explosive hitter and top competitor who is well-built. Good feet and hips, and above-average range tackler. Honor student with great football intelligence who is very good reading his keys and diagnosing plays. Gets a very good jump and adjusts to plays. Very good in run support. Shows awareness and instincts in zone coverage and can cover the slot.

Negatives: Inconsistent in coverage. Does not play the ball well and misjudges it. Makes mental errors and bad mistakes, giving up some big plays. Allows receivers behind him. Lacks height and size for a strong safety and is best in the box. Will miss a few tackles coming in too high. Must get better in coverage to be a complete safety, but size puts him at a disadvantage against tight ends and most big receivers.

Summary: Doss will be one of the top safeties drafted because of his smarts and knack for being around the football, but he'll have to work to be more than a great college player.

I like the fact he is a big hitter and has great football intelligence and is very good in run support. Espn seems to think he will be one of the top safties picked. The Skins had there eyes on him(see post titled Help Wanted: Redskins Seek Safety, Lineman)

Only time will tell but as of late the Florida receivers don't fair too well in the NFL.

Archived