Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama 2001 interview

daveakl

While the court can redistribute... In the case that Senator Obama is talking about in this audio: Who pays? Who receives payment? Who breached contract? Who was negligent?

If this was covered earlier... I apologize.

This wasn't covered in the thread earlier, and it's a good question.

The most recent cases involved people suing insurance companies, railroads, and banks:

Aetna has acknowledged issuing life insurance policies on an undetermined number of slaves, naming their owners as beneficiaries. Fleet's earliest predecessor bank was founded by John Brown, a notorious Rhode Island slave trader. CSX owns early rail lines built by slaves.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/general/2002/03/25/slave-reparations.htm

...and while those cases haven't really gotten anywhere yet, they are still kicking around in the courts after many years, and it's still theoretically possible that someone could get some money.

But the reason that nobody has really been successful at getting reparations is basically the reason that you state: it is not at all clear who should pay, who should get the money, or who was really responsible.

The Japanese internees had a much stronger case, and they had to wait for Congress to act. The courts aren't very good for this sort of thing ... but they're not prohibited from acting.

We are governed by laws enacted by our elected legislators. We are NOT governed by laws and statutes enacted in Belgium or France or anywhere else. Other than that, I have no beef with Belgium.

I must have misunderstood you when you wrote this:

The problem is most of those "Constitutional Scholars" nuance themselves into pretzels. Some have even begun to look at rulings from Europe in influencing decisions on our Supreme Court. :doh:

I thought you were against using experiences of rulings in other contries to gain insights. Heck, I thought that "nuance themselves into pretzels" statement meant you were against gaining insights in general.

I must have misunderstood you when you wrote this:

I thought you were against using experiences of rulings in other contries to gain insights. Heck, I thought that "nuance themselves into pretzels" statement meant you were against gaining insights in general.

I'm against anyone on the bench looking to other countries for inspiration in ruling on cases here.

I am not against the legislative branch considering good ideas from other countries and crafting laws that work within our accepted system here.

Get ready to be accused of being unfair for posting a quote of his own words.

Obama does not believe we are a good and just country. He feels we are the cause of problems in the world. I hope the American people wake up to this. He will do irrevocable harm to this nation.

Uh we need to mind our own ****ing business.

We are constantly involved in other countries' affairs.

We need to focus on America, because right now, as it stands, the US has caused a lot of damage to the world. We've funded extremists who go out and commit genocide because it was a matter of "national security."

Uh we need to mind our own ****ing business.

We are constantly involved in other countries' affairs.

We need to focus on America, because right now, as it stands, the US has caused a lot of damage to the world. We've funded extremists who go out and commit genocide because it was a matter of "national security."

Follow up, please. Enlighten us.

Archived