Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn Made The Right Personnel Moves To Ensure Win & Future

bulldog

The Redskins won a game today making Chris Samuels and Chris Horton, unarguably two of the club's better players over the first 7 games, inactive just before the kickoff.

It was a calculated gamble by Jim Zorn. No doubt having practiced all week that both players could have come out and gutted it out for all or part of the contest. But that wasn't in the long-term best interest of the team, looking at the second half schedule.

This was a game that matched the Redskins with a club in Detroit that didn't have comparable talent, and Zorn made the correct judgment that this was the week to rest these two as well as Griffin and Springs, who were ruled out earlier in the week.

I might have gone even further in adding Jason Taylor to that list as well.

So, in the end the Redskins without 5-6 starters/other key players were able to win a game 25-17 in which they played one half of solid football.

With a bit more aggressiveness on defense against Orlovsky in the pocket on the drive after the Redskins took a 22-10 lead on the Moss punt return, Washington might very well have kept the Lions at 10 points for the game.

With the bye week coming up after the Steelers game, there was no reason to take the short term view on the nagging injuries of several key players. Zorn felt the Redskins were a better team than the Lions even without Springs, Horton, Griffin, Samuels, etc. and in the end he was correct.

I agree

I was also hoping Taylor would be held out and we would keep Portis to under 15 carries

The stretch run will require us to beat the Steelers, Cowboys, Giants and Eagles, and go on the road to beat Seattle, Cinci, Baltimore and San Fran

We need guys like Taylor, Griffin, Samuels and Horton very healthy

the Redskins will go from a winning team to a contending team when the yardage differentials the club keeps putting up each week starts to translate into red zone points.

Campbell and Co. are productive between the 20's, but drives end up in field goals way too many times for anyone to be comfortable going forward.

Part of the key is better pass protection in the red zone. And Campbell can help the OL by having greater field awareness and releasing the football when being pressured.

a big receiver allows an offense to attack the end zone from closer in, but you can't tell me that with the threat of Portis on the ground and Moss, Cooley, Randl El outside that the Redskins should not be able to convert opportunities against the Rams and Lions defenses :)

Archived