Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts. Inc. Key Personnel Groupings Spark skins (TE Related)

Veretax

Scouts Inc.: Key personnel groupings are sparking 'Skins:

Posted by Scouts Inc.'s Keith Kidd

I liked what they said in this article. Here's a Sample:

What has been a key to the resurgence of the Redskins' offense? Coach Jim Zorn has done a masterful job of utilizing his personnel within his formation designs.

Washington's offense has been at its most dynamic in groupings featuring multiple tight ends: "12" (one running back, two tight ends), "22" (one running back, one fullback, two tight ends) and "13" (one running back, three tight ends). When an opposing defense sees one of these packages on the field, it reads run and usually counters with a corresponding personnel, alignment and play call. But the collection of tight ends Chris Cooley, Fred Davis and Todd Yoder and fullback Mike Sellers provide the versatility and complete array of skills to force opponents into making some tough decisions on early downs.

Cooley excels at finding soft spots in underneath zones and sitting down in them to provide quarterback Jason Campbell a big target. He's also very effective out of these groupings on screen passes. The West Coast offense has allowed Cooley to move around within the structure of the passing game and make a lot more plays. Davis is a versatile player who has shown playmaking skills and some consistency as a run blocker. Sellers is a strong, massive run blocker who has deceptive speed and agility for his size. He can shift or go in motion. He can provide physical lead blocking or effective edge and move blocking. He can align in the backfield or detach from the formation as a wing.

I know some folks were wondering about Davis, but I hadn't noticed the role the TEs have played. I've mostly been focusing on Rhythm. I'm going to have to rewatch that game now.

Archived