Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two things Dallas should worry about

21 coming to

Ok, this is me trying to be insightful. I haven't seen or heard anyone talking about these topics, so I'll share them here.

Dallas fans are focusing on the standard excuses - the other team was mean, nobody likes us, etc. - but maybe they should be concerned about a couple of other points.

The first is that they not only were outplayed by the Redskins on Sunday, but they were also outcoached. Their receivers couldn't get open, and they abandoned the run.

We had a better game plan. That's impressive, considering Dallas supposedly has great coaches. At least, that's what the so-called experts love to tell us. Then here comes Zorn, in his fourth game as the boss, and he leads the team to a great performance and a win.

Leadership might be the key here. Head coaches call the plays, but that's not enough.

What about creating a positive environment? Running effective practices? Making believers out of players who might feel like they've seen it all before? Then there's treating people fairly (which sometimes means being tough on them).

That's all about building a real team, on which the players feel a sense of common cause. Some coaches have trouble with that, even though they know their way around the Xs and Os on a blackboard. Norv Turner might be a good example.

Does leadership involve sucking up to a troublemaking wide receiver, even if that means devoting a third of the offensive plays to him and ditching the running game? I doubt it.

So the personnel problems begin for the Cowboys.

That brings us to point number two, the personnel problem himself. Springs and Rogers did a phenomenal job on him. But I wonder (dare I say hope?) if T.O. is just a tiny bit slower than in years past.

It's certainly possible. After all, he's 33 years old now. The cowboys must know they aren't going to get several good years from the guy, no matter how he behaves.

That behavior could blow up in their faces. What will happen when T.O. has his first good year?

He's had plenty of very good years - his fans would say excellent years. Given his outrageous actions when he's doing doing well, how will he act when he starts looking like just another of the many good receivers in the NFL?

We know the answer to that. It will be everyone else's fault for a season or two, during which he will punish the people who sign his paychecks.

Is this T.O.'s first good year? Are the Dallas coaches not all they're cracked up to be?

Let's hope so.

Hail to the Redskins!

Archived