Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

They're quitting???

Taylor 36

I've been around Extremeskins long enough to know that threads the day after a loss can be very hard to get through. It is usually the same rhetoric, time and time again, "This guy sucks," "this/these guys should be fired/cut," "we aren't going to win another game," or, one of my favorites, "I quit. I'm done with this team."

Last night, however, as I watched the game in my fanatic agony, I had the feeling that it was the team saying, "We quit. We are done."

In the past few years, many people on this board crucified Joe Gibbs for his clock management, but last night was probably the worst thing I've ever seen outside of the Vikings first round drafting methods of handling the clock. It was as if, with more than three minutes and all three time outs left, the team had already conceded. The offense had no fire in them, huddling after every play, Cambell doing a pump fake on a downing play, etc.

We have all been told that JC was working on his fundamentals and his ability to not "stare down" his receivers. Well, watching him last night, it was obvious that he knew exactly the one person he was going to before the ball was snapped, and if his guy wasn't open, he was just going to hold on to it until he was sacked for a ten yard loss. I guess he too gave up on what he was supposedly learning this offseason.

As I diehard fan, I can't EVER give up on my team. I have to watch, even in agony, every play. But, after what I witnessed last night, during the first game of a new season, I have to wonder if my team has already given up on its fans. :(

i've been around extremeskins long enough to know that threads the day after a loss can be very hard to get through. It is usually the same rhetoric, time and time again, "this guy sucks," "this/these guys should be fired/cut," "we aren't going to win another game," or, one of my favorites, "i quit. I'm done with this team."

last night, however, as i watched the game in my fanatic agony, i had the feeling that it was the team saying, "we quit. We are done."

in the past few years, many people on this board crucified joe gibbs for his clock management, but last night was probably the worst thing i've ever seen outside of the vikings first round drafting methods of handling the clock. It was as if, with more than three minutes and all three time outs left, the team had already conceded. The offense had no fire in them, huddling after every play, cambell doing a pump fake on a downing play, etc.

We have all been told that jc was working on his fundamentals and his ability to not "stare down" his receivers. Well, watching him last night, it was obvious that he knew exactly the one person he was going to before the ball was snapped, and if his guy wasn't open, he was just going to hold on to it until he was sacked for a ten yard loss. I guess he too gave up on what he was supposedly learning this offseason.

As i diehard fan, i can't ever give up on my team. I have to watch, even in agony, every play. But, after what i witnessed last night, during the first game of a new season, i have to wonder if my team has already given up on its fans. :(

this is on extreme 55 times in other threads.

I think that the OP brings up some very valid points.

I heard Zorn say in the post game news confrence that w/ eight minutes left he didn't want to waste the time outs or throw deep three times and then turn the ball over. Okay, I can understand that. However, you have to atleast run a quick offense if not a no huddle offense. We wasted so much time when we still had a chance to win the game. It was ridiciouls.

I feel the frustration too T36. It sucks when we pay so much money, whether its tickets or merchandise, and the team doesnt seem as if they are trying. But I think this team has got some fight in them. CP showed he's got heart, the D made adjustments at the half and played pretty well, considering they were on the field the entire game. But I dont think they've given up. We just gotta be patient with this new coach and new system. Remember, Gibbs went 0-5 to start the season back in the day. Thank God ES wasnt around back then. Just be patient my man. Look, Im only 22 and I havent seen any "Glory Years", and believe me, it hard. Im just like you, I'll never give up on my team, EVER!

This team is in a huge transition. Gibbs leaves, Daniels is out, Jansen got benched, 2 WR's taken in the draft, Williams gone, JT steps in. The veterans have to be a little in shock. They need to form a new identity. It will take time. The cohesiveness from last year needs to be regained.

The team did not quit, IMO. On D, they certainly did not. On specials they certainly did not. So what about the offense? I think they didn't play well, they missed reads and assignments, they didn't run routes passed the sticks on 3rd down, they had penalties. That cost us the game, no doubt. But you think they weren't trying? I disagree there.

They played in a tough place against a fired up defending SB champ. No one is happy with the way they played. But they didn't quit.

I feel the frustration too T36. It sucks when we pay so much money, whether its tickets or merchandise, and the team doesnt seem as if they are trying. But I think this team has got some fight in them. CP showed he's got heart, the D made adjustments at the half and played pretty well, considering they were on the field the entire game. But I dont think they've given up. We just gotta be patient with this new coach and new system. Remember, Gibbs went 0-5 to start the season back in the day. Thank God ES wasnt around back then. Just be patient my man. Look, Im only 22 and I havent seen any "Glory Years", and believe me, it hard. Im just like you, I'll never give up on my team, EVER!

I hear you. :cheers: And, I'm not saying that I truly believe they are quitting on us, but that it was really hard not to feel that way with what I saw last night. CP did put his heart into it. Unfortunately, there weren't many holes for him to fit his heart through last night. The D did bounce back nicely, but it is hard to stomach watching Rogers barely jog after Buress schooled him and caught a pass, or our DB's dropping five sure INT's.

I know there are a lot of fans that feel the same way, and we are not going to give up on our team. I just wish that our team could at least APPEAR to not be giving up in games like last night.

Yes, this is true, but it is very clear that CP and a few others played with passion and others just kind of took the field. Transition or not, you still have to play EVERY DOWN. No one even tried to block that one field goal. They did however come out and play in the second half then!

I hear you. :cheers: And, I'm not saying that I truly believe they are quitting on us, but that it was really hard not to feel that way with what I saw last night. CP did put his heart into it. Unfortunately, there weren't many holes for him to fit his heart through last night. The D did bounce back nicely, but it is hard to stomach watching Rogers barely jog after Buress schooled him and caught a pass, or our DB's dropping five sure INT's.

I know there are a lot of fans that feel the same way, and we are not going to give up on our team. I just wish that our team could at least APPEAR to not be giving up in games like last night.

I feel you man. There was a lot that I witnessed that was hard to stomach last night (our cornerbacks have cinderblocks for hands). Sometimes I do feel that if Im putting all this effort into cheering and such, the least you can do is play like you care. I remember feeling that way during the Norv and Spurrier years, but we'll have to wait and see. I think Gibbs installed a football team that cares about each other and plays for one another. And even though it doesnt look like it sometimes, I know they are trying hard. They have to, b/c who in their right minds wants to get schooled like that on national tv? I sure as hell wouldnt. If I was Smoot, I'd be embarrassed that I got schooled by Sinorice Moss (the Giants #5 receiver for those who dont know).

Archived