Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice: Purchasing a Motorcycle

RedlightG20

As some of you know I currently own a 1966 Honda Scrambler that is newly restored. It's a great bike, but since it is so old, its not the most stable at modern highway speeds. Certainly, being the classic it is, it's not a daily driver by any means. I mainly would like to use it in the summertime for OC Bike Week as well as some general cruising around, and take it to the occasional show.

Right now I'm looking for a newer bike that I can drive more often. I don't know anything about buying a motorcycle (the Scrambler is my father's so its always been in the family). I'm not into crotch rockets but I'm not into large Harleys or the like. I can probably swing maybe $6-8k for a nice used one.

I own a BMW Z4 so of course I first started looking at BMW motorcycles. The R1200C is a gorgeous bike and seems like the look/size i'm most interested in. I've contacted a local BMW bike dealer and I'm waiting to hear back about a test drive.

BMW_R1200C.jpg

Anyone own one of these or perhaps driven one? What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it?

Also I'm not limiting myself just to BMW bikes, so if anyone has suggestions of other kinds please let me know!

I own a BMW Z4 so of course I first started looking at BMW motorcycles. The R1200C is a gorgeous bike and seems like the look/size i'm most interested in. I've contacted a local BMW bike dealer and I'm waiting to hear back about a test drive.

BMW_R1200C.jpg

Anyone own one of these or perhaps driven one? What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it?

Also I'm not limiting myself just to BMW bikes, so if anyone has suggestions of other kinds please let me know!

Well, the good news is that I am sure you can find a nice BMW 1200c used for a decent price.

The bad news is that it is unlikely you will be able to test ride one via your dealer since BMW discontinued the 1200 cruiser line in 2004.

I have never heard anything negative about BMW bikes other than availablity/cost of parts and the ability to find a dealer if you break down in the middle of nowhere. My father-in-law rode Beemers until he got his first Venture.

Other options around the same size you can take a look at are the V-Star 1300 (I really like Yammy's cruisers, wife's family all ride them and have never had a problem) or the Honda VTX1300 (what I am currently riding...personally I would not recommend them, quality seems a tad low, but others love them). You also have the various Suzi and Kawasaki cruisers.

Well, while those are nice bikes, he did say he was not into crotch rockets and was not looking for a big bike. And while the new V-Max may not be large in size, a 1700 V-4 streetfighter designed hit 150+ mph probably is not in the same boat as the BMW 1200 cruiser he was looking at :)

Besides, if a power cruiser is what he was looking for, I would point him towards the Triumph Rocket III - it will steal the Warrior's lunch money, kick sand in it's face, and run off with it's girlfriend. ;)

• 9 months later...

Alright so after months and months of looking for the BMW bike I really wanted, I decided to give up (for now) and instead just get a bike that is relatively cheap and can get me around.

Now I'm looking at a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 classic. There is one for sale near me that is garage kept, in great shape, and has just under 3,000 miles. Seems like I can get a really good deal on it for ~$3000-3500, which seems to be in the neighborhood of the blue book, but with the low mileage for an '01, I think its a great deal.

Besides the test drive, what should I be looking for or asking about regarding this bike? And do you think this is a good deal?

Alright so after months and months of looking for the BMW bike I really wanted, I decided to give up (for now) and instead just get a bike that is relatively cheap and can get me around.

Now I'm looking at a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 classic. There is one for sale near me that is garage kept, in great shape, and has just under 3,000 miles. Seems like I can get a really good deal on it for ~$3000-3500, which seems to be in the neighborhood of the blue book, but with the low mileage for an '01, I think its a great deal.

Besides the test drive, what should I be looking for or asking about regarding this bike? And do you think this is a good deal?

Ask to see the service record or find out where the service was done to make sure they did the oil changes (first oil change is important on a bike), valve adjustments, etc.

Look for signs that it had been dropped - scratches on the end of the mirror or handlebars, dings, etc. Nothing wrong necessarily if it has, but you might get a few bucks taken off the price.

Price seems about right. I paid 3500.00 for my first bike - v-star 650 with around 3000 miles.

I personally like Victories...

2ibgi86.jpg

Last bike COMPLETELY made in the USA, not even Harely can say that

I really like Victory, and I tend to steer alot of potential Harley owners I talk to in that direction. Sadly, I cannot ride them - every model seems to have some little quirk with their ergonomics that just flat out make them uncomfortable to ride for me. Ironically, with the Vision, it is the huge blindspot about 5' in front of the bike due to my height that made me cross it off my list.

for that kind of dough you should be able to get one a few years newer like say an '04 - '05. The '01 will be 9 years old this fall. In a year or two you'll be trying to sell it.

Archived