Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UK offers Iraqi General amnesty

redman

From Sky News:

'IRAQI GENERAL GIVEN AMNESTY'

One of Saddam Hussein's senior military commanders has been offered amnesty in the UK in return for secrets about the dictator's regime, it has been reported.

The Ministry of Defence said it had "absolutely no comment" to make on the report in The Times.

The newspaper claims that an unnamed brigadier-general will be given a new identity and a secret refuge in return for his help.

It described him as the most senior Iraqi officer in the south of the country and said he was being held separately from Iraqi prisoners of war after his defection in Basra.

The paper went on to say that the Sandhurst-trained officer had insisted before talking that British forces rescue his family, who were in hiding in Basra.

Special forces were believed to have picked them up more than a week ago, The Times said.

It quoted an unnamed British source as saying: "Sometimes you have to do things in war you don't want to do, but they are for the greater good. What he has told us already has been greatly helpful to our forces."

An MoD spokesman said: "We would have absolutely no comment to make on the veracity of this story."

Downing Street also declined to comment.

Last Updated: 03:40 UK, Monday April 07, 2003

Might this be one of the first steps in hunting in earnest for the chem and bio weapons?

No way, MC, that the Brits afford Chemical Ali asylum. The outrage at that would be unbearable. That would be tantamount to offering Himmler asylum (although the magnitude of their crimes is of course different).

No, this is some mid-level or even upper level Iraqi general who views himself as more of a military man than a Baathist and who is willing to play ball. I'd suspect that he's not part of Saddam's inner circle.

Originally posted by redman

It described him as the most senior Iraqi officer in the south of the country

It quoted an unnamed British source as saying: "Sometimes you have to do things in war you don't want to do, but they are for the greater good.

This is what leads me to belive it's him.

Why do you think these vague reports necessarily mean that it's Chemical Ali as opposed to some random general whose identity is unknown to people like us? I don't get it.

And I still don't believe that the Brits would do it, even assuming that he would agree to it which I also strongly doubt. Guys like Saddam, his sons and Chemical Ali have no life outside that regime and outside that country.

Archived