Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carolina at Iggles Game Thread

Skin Deep

And that's exactly my point. Coughlin was as successful as Gibbs or Parcells, if not moreso. And yet his job was still on the line last year. What does that say about the other two coaches?

His job was on the line because he was losing the locker room along with the less-than-desired results. Coughlin's job was also on the line because up until last year's playoffs he hadn't improved on the prior coach's results, both in terms of postseason success or in terms of lockerroom chemistry and cohesion. Both Gibbs and Parcells outperformed the last 2-3 coaches of their respective teams combined in both those areas.

And there's NO way the 2003 Giants were in as bad a position as the 2003 Skins. The Giants had gone to the playoffs in 2002 with a 10-6 record, and had gone to the Super Bowl two years before that. They were already running a pro-level offensive scheme, and had a lot of quality players still on the roster. The players were sticking up for Fassel and gave him a standing ovation in the lockerroom at the end of the season.

Compare that to the Skins, who had not been to the playoffs since 1999, their only playoff appearance in 12 years...and had not been to the Super Bowl since 1992. They were running a amateurish offensive scheme that had no place in the NFL, and only had a handful of quality players on the team at the time. The team was abandoning Spurrier like rats on a sinking ship because HE had already abandoned them long before.

Gibbs making that Skins team into a playoff team within two years was more impressive than Coughlin making that Giants team into a playoff team within two years, even though BOTH were impressive.

His job was on the line because he was losing the locker room along with the less-than-desired results. Coughlin's job was also on the line because up until last year's playoffs he hadn't improved on the prior coach's results, both in terms of postseason success or in terms of lockerroom chemistry and cohesion. Both Gibbs and Parcells outperformed the last 2-3 coaches of their respective teams combined in both those areas.

And there's NO way the 2003 Giants were in as bad a position as the 2003 Skins. The Giants had gone to the playoffs in 2002 with a 10-6 record, and had gone to the Super Bowl two years before that. They were already running a pro-level offensive scheme, and had a lot of quality players still on the roster. The players were sticking up for Fassel and gave him a standing ovation in the lockerroom at the end of the season.

Compare that to the Skins, who had not been to the playoffs since 1999, their only playoff appearance in 12 years...and had not been to the Super Bowl since 1992. They were running a amateurish offensive scheme that had no place in the NFL, and only had a handful of quality players on the team at the time. The team was abandoning Spurrier like rats on a sinking ship because HE had already abandoned them long before.

Gibbs making that Skins team into a playoff team within two years was more impressive than Coughlin making that Giants team into a playoff team within two years, even though BOTH were impressive.

one day were at odds..the next I am fully on board with what you have to say.

I can remember the Gnats hating Coughlin because he would fine them for silly things like socks, being 1 minute late, etc. it was getting ridiculous.

one day were at odds..the next I am fully on board with what you have to say.

I can remember the Gnats hating Coughlin because he would fine them for silly things like socks, being 1 minute late, etc. it was getting ridiculous.

LoL..that's the norm around here :laugh: :cheers:

And, yeah, Coughlin practically had a mutiny on his hands when he first took over, and it stretched over the next few years as well. It definitely played a role in why Coughlin was on the hot seat. And in reality a number of people in the media were saying Gibbs was on the hot seat as well after the 2006 season.

We all had hopes and dreams of Gibbs coming back and leading us to 3 more superbowls but in all reality they were pipe dreams. It was clear the game had passed him by. The playcalling was too conservative and when he needed to put the pedal to the floor, he put it in cruise control. In the end costing us some games. Most people think we are in a rebuilding phase but essentially we had our rebuilding years for the past 4 years. Gibbs coming back was the best thing that could have happened to this team and organization as a whole. Us going to the playoffs in 05 and 07 shouldn't have happened. The ride was great but realistically it shouldn't have happened. Thats why people dont view the past 4 years as rebuilding. If anything 05 and 07 show what good players who have a strong team chemistry bond and a great leader can do when pushed to their breaking point. I would go on record saying that if the Chargers lost LT like we did ST, they crumble that season. I essentially believe that losing ST will help this team win a superbowl sooner then if we still had him. I know we all miss him and I do especially since he was my favorite athlete not just my favorite Redskin. The returing vets on this team know what its like to play for something greater then just the game and their job and I think it will serve as a bridge or stepping stone for them in the near future. I don't think anyone else would have been a better fit to coach this team then Gibbs. I dont see Gibbs 2.0 as a failure. Both of his stints were a great success. This time he had to right the ship and even tho we didn't win any superbowls in his second time around, no one else could have come in and left us the way he did.

LoL..that's the norm around here :laugh: :cheers:

And, yeah, Coughlin practically had a mutiny on his hands when he first took over, and it stretched over the next few years as well. It definitely played a role in why Coughlin was on the hot seat. And in reality a number of people in the media were saying Gibbs was on the hot seat as well after the 2006 season.

and I think it was a major reason that Tiki retired as well...:2cents:

I'd rather not ascribe any relevance to a preseason game whatsoever, but, this being a message board and all, I imagine it's going to happen anyway. In the grand scheme of things, the looked fine. Defense played great. Offense moved the ball efficiently before showing some frustrating inadequacies. Dumb penalties, drops, unbalanced play calling, lack of execution, all things that went wrong. Still, McNabb threw the ball well, the defense created a turnover and absolutely shut the Panthers down, D Jax had a sick punt return and seemed to get open every time he went out for a pass. There was plenty of good and plenty of bad. In the world of meaningless preseason games, that means they looked fine. Not good, not bad, just fine.

D Jack had a sick punt return.....THAT HE FUMBLED :laugh:

failed 2 mention that

D Jackson does look very good. What's impressive more than anything else that we've already heard, is that he gets open. I think the Eagles found a gem there.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&season=2008&seasonType=PRE&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

This is the most telling stat of them all. Keep in mind he is doing this against first team defenses as well. For a small kid he sure looks like he has heart. He did fumble that punt return but he is a rookie still. He'll learn that in the NFL you must keep running and watch for people coming from behind. I think he's going to be a better WR then anything. HE just seems to get open.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&season=2008&seasonType=PRE&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

This is the most telling stat of them all. Keep in mind he is doing this against first team defenses as well. For a small kid he sure looks like he has heart. He did fumble that punt return but he is a rookie still. He'll learn that in the NFL you must keep running and watch for people coming from behind. I think he's going to be a better WR then anything. HE just seems to get open.

You are using preseason stats for arguments...... :doh:

OK :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

you do realize he was playing against 4th string defenses. he had 2 passes caught for 19 yards in the fist half with mcnabb in there

While most of his stats came against 2nd and 3rd stringers, Jackson was getting open against 1st teamers on numerous plays throughout the half. In addition to his 2 catches, he had a step on the defender on a long pass down the sideline that he couldn't quite get to and he had the pass on 3rd and long that would have been a 1st that he dropped. While neither catch happened, he got open against 1st teamers on both of them and the reason for him not making the plays had nothing to do with the defenders he was going against (ie. a defender hitting him and jarring the ball loose or deflecting the pass).

I don't follow college football, but I wasn't expecting too much from him as a receiver this year after they drafted him and was expecting his major contributions to be on special teams. However, it's hard to discount the potential he's shown in the preseason games, albeit in a relatively small sample size. Barring injuries, the Eagles offense will have too many guys getting their share of the passes from D-Mac so Jackson likely won't put up huge numbers even with a great rookie season, but my expectations have risen a bit and I think he'll make his share of plays and have a nice impact as a wideout this year.

While most of his stats came against 2nd and 3rd stringers, Jackson was getting open against 1st teamers on numerous plays throughout the half. In addition to his 2 catches, he had a step on the defender on a long pass down the sideline that he couldn't quite get to and he had the pass on 3rd and long that would have been a 1st that he dropped. While neither catch happened, he got open against 1st teamers on both of them and the reason for him not making the plays had nothing to do with the defenders he was going against (ie. a defender hitting him and jarring the ball loose or deflecting the pass).

I don't follow college football, but I wasn't expecting too much from him as a receiver this year after they drafted him and was expecting his major contributions to be on special teams. However, it's hard to discount the potential he's shown in the preseason games, albeit in a relatively small sample size. Barring injuries, the Eagles offense will have too many guys getting their share of the passes from D-Mac so Jackson likely won't put up huge numbers even with a great rookie season, but my expectations have risen a bit and I think he'll make his share of plays and have a nice impact as a wideout this year.

Finally, a Philly fan with a brain...

Jackson, if he can stay healthy (and that is a big if), will help your team out tremendously and will be more productive than Reggie Brown, imo.

He gets how to play wr, Brown doesn't. That is the difference. At a 180lbs, or whatever he is, he will struggle to stay on the field, especially that he is doing the punt returning. He took some shots the other night and I expect it to get worse when the real bullets start flying.

I am not impressed with him as a PR though, too much stuttering.....

Archived