Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No more shuttle service from orange line!

Sk8nsanta

It's not the walking that bugs me so much as the fact that there seems only one choice: Morgan Blvd. station. So now, unless I'm missing something, instead of having the option to take the shuttle, everyone's going to pile off the Orange Line, hop on the Blue Line, and go to that one stop. Same thing with going home. I hope Metro's adding a few hundred more cars....

They will at least be adding extra trains: http://www.wmata.com/about/MET_NEWS/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=2224 - how many, though, remains to be seen.

Maybe this is a dumb question but why wasn't there some sort of economic revival around FedEx Field? Verizon Center (aka MCI Center) did wonders when it was built and now there are plenty of places to hang out before and after events at that venue...

Because the Verizon Center is in downtown Washington DC and FedEx is in he middle of nowhere in a large plot of land surrounded by residential areas....

As things turned out last night, the trip back home from the match didn't go too badly - the queue of matchgoers to the station moved fairly briskly and there was a train on the platform about a minute after I reached the station (with seats available), and the trains seemed to be running at 6min intervals. I got home in just a bit under two hours, a normal travel time for me in past seasons.

One oddity about the logistics yesterday though: Our Orange line shuttle is gone because Skins management couldn't find a private entity to provide the service, as required by the recent federal legislation, and they couldn't get a waiver from DOT...well who was operating the shuttle from the cash lots? Metrobus! (I noticed a 'U3 - FedEx Field' on the front of these buses - maybe Metro has discreetly incorporated the parking shuttle into its route network?)

I still remain unconvinced Snyder even tried to find a private substitute (why was the waiver application virtually slam-dunked on arrival?). As soon as he got word of the federal ban on public shuttle services he probably got visions of parking passes dancing in his head.

Oh well...so far so good, on last night's showing...but let's see how things operate when regular season (especially those prime-timers in November) comes round.

Archived