Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we consider running a 5-2 hybrid defense?

chaught76

Correct. lack of caffeine is kicking my arse today. :doh:

As for the Pats, they run a base 3-4 defense, which can immediately go to a 5-2 because of their OLB's, so this really isn't anything new, or it shouldn't be as far as I can see.

Here is what I was always taught. You guys let me know if you agree.

A 3-4 consists of a DT(NT), 2 beefy DEs, and 4 LBs.

A 5-2 consists of 3 DTs, 2 DEs, and 2 LBs.

I guess it is really a matter of symantecs. In reality, if your personal is athletic enough, one could easily be the other.

Walking Marcus up to the line isn't a true 5-2-4 because you technically have 3 LBs still on the field.

Yes and no. If you take that stance then you fall into the nebulous argument as to what constitutes a LB/DE/DT. Is it the position they play, or their body type? Their skill sets or a combo of all of the above?

Say the Skins decide to wheel out a formation of Carter/Monty/Griff/Evans at front 4 while moving Taylor to a OLB slot, to me that still is a 4-3 but if Taylor cheats up to the LoS, then it becomes a 5-2.

I guess it is really a matter of symantecs. In reality, if your personal is athletic enough, one could easily be the other.

It's really a matter of semantics IMO. 5 defensive linemen and 2 linebackers is all it needs, whether or not the DL's are consist of a NT, DT's, DE's or OLB's is determined by the DC and what base scheme they run. To me, just because you have a NT or a OLB in a 3 point stance on the LoS doesn't in and of itself define what a 5-2 scheme is.

It's really a matter of semantics IMO. 5 defensive linemen and 2 linebackers is all it needs, whether or not the DL's are consist of a NT, DT's, DE's or OLB's is determined by the DC and what base scheme they run. To me, just because you have a NT or a OLB in a 3 point stance on the LoS doesn't in and of itself define what a 5-2 scheme is.

We are on the same page.

As long as they force a punt on 4th down, I really don't care what the defensive formation is called. :D

Thanks for the feedback. I hope it leads to nice to discussion.

Peace. HTTR!!!

Interesting Post

Some of our (former?) defensive packages end up in something very similiar to the 5-2 you speak of, it actually ends up looking like 5-3 when the SS moves into the box.

l_2a7cbdc072d66c05dac4472e3f7db50c.jpg

-Hail:2cents:

Blitzing is rare in this formation as it requires coverage sacrifices and limits the effectiveness of LBs.

Blitzing when it does occur typically occurs as follows:

1) One of the true LBs comes. Draw backs: only one true LB and the safeties are available to support the run if the RB breaks the front 5.

2) Stunts. This is the most frequent blitz method for this defense.

3) Bring the SS. Draw backs: leaves the other DBs on an island.

Like I said, this defense relies heavily on the front 5 to generate consistent pressure on passing downs.

One can also do something of a zone blitz here. Drop Jason Taylor into short or middle coverage and send a linebacker or safety on the other side of the line. This will screw with blocking schemes and leave us with the same number of guys in coverage. I like a 5-2 if you're athletic and smart enough to execute, then again the same can be said for a 3-4.

How do you blitz with this defense, or who do you blitz?

Generally, when you blitz, it will be the SS or one of the LBs. On occasion, you may blitz a corner. You would probably rarely see the FS blitz unless you've got a very athletic MIKE. Probably a lot of Cover 1 Man and if you have a very athletic MIKE, maybe some Cover 2 Man and maybe Cover 2 Zone, depending on how you set up your corners. You could also zone blitz some depending on your personnel.

This is a terrible idea. Why doesn't everybody else do it then????

Because almost all teams do use a 5-2 at times during the game. If it is your base, you probably need a very good MIKE, an elite SS and good MAN corners. I'd also think you would want 1 or 2 more elites out there. You'd probably kill Dallas if you used it right.

With Redskins being "depth-wise" thin a LB, would there be any value or reason in running a 5-2 (4-3 hybrid) defense? Effectively, you use Jason Taylor as DE/LB. I am proposing a defensive front seven that would look like this:

RDE: Andre Carter

RDT: Cornelius Griffin

CDT: Anthony Montgomery

LDT: Kedrick Golston

LDE/SLB: Jason Taylor

MLB: London Fletcher

WLB: Marcus Washington

I know this looks a lot like a 3-4, but it really isn't. In this defensive front we would effectively live and die by:

- The front 5 getting phenomenal pressure and stopping the run.

- The 2 true LBs not missing any tackles

- The SS being versatile/atheletic enough to cover the run and pass.

- Our corners playing lights out most of the game.

I am not saying we should use this formation as a base because it would not allow us to utilize Rocky and Blades once they come back. I am simply asking if you all think we might see this formation this year.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope it leads to nice to discussion.

Peace. HTTR!!!

I think if we still had Sean this would be possible because Landry is more than effective at the SS spot and his phenomenal athleticism would allow this to work.

What I really wanted to see was Sean in the box and Landry at FS

I think really,

if you have stud athletic players who are versatile you can do whatever the hell you want.

A lot of people around here act like Joe Gibbs was an offensive mastermind, and the same goes for the Pats O-coordinator.

It is incrediably easy to execute whatever u want at will if you have immensely talented players.

Having one of the best olines and WR corps as well as a consistently strong ground game definitely helped Joe Gibbs be a winner.

Archived