Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAToday: Mag Satire Panned; Depicts Obamas as Muslim, Terrorist

Goaldeje

Click Link for More:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-07-14-new-yorker-obama_N.htm

A satirical New Yorker magazine cover depicting Barack Obama as a Muslim and his wife as a gun-toting terrorist has drawn a unanimous reaction Monday from both the Democratic and Republican presidential campaigns that it is "tasteless and offensive."

The illustration, appearing on this week's issue, is titled "The Politics of Fear" and shows Obama in the Oval Office in sandals, robe and turban giving a "fist bump" to his wife, Michelle, who is outfitted in combat boots and an assault rifle. A painting of Osama bin Laden hangs above the fireplace in which an American flag is burning..

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton. "But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

Click Link for More:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-07-14-new-yorker-obama_N.htm

I actually kind of like this cover. It plays off the ridiculousness nature of the accusations.

The problem is' date=' the American public is probably too dumb to get the message.[/quote']

As evidenced by the response so far, from both campaigns?

:doh:

I actually kind of like this cover. It plays off the ridiculousness nature of the accusations.

The problem is' date=' the American public is probably too dumb to get the message.[/quote']

Agreed ..

I think the Obama Campaign just doesn't want to have this discussion' date=' and I've seen no evidence that McCain actually has a campaign at this point.[/quote']

With Obama, I think you're right, but I'm not sure why they don't want to have this discussion. Are they trying to show how completely erroneous and ridiculous the idea is by ignoring it? Why not address it head on? Are they waiting for the big stage of a debate or what?

Absolutely correct.

Now personally, I'd have prefered to see them portrayed as Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao with a portrait of Lenin over the mantle and the American flag burning in the fireplace. Now THAT would have been truth in advertising.

Guest sith lord

Do people really need this kind of attention to get cusomers to buy their magazines? Someone should get fired.

Guest sith lord
With Obama, I think you're right, but I'm not sure why they don't want to have this discussion. Are they trying to show how completely erroneous and ridiculous the idea is by ignoring it? Why not address it head on? Are they waiting for the big stage of a debate or what?

Why should Obama have to address this nonsense?

Absolutely correct.

Now personally, I'd have prefered to see them portrayed as Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao with a portrait of Lenin over the mantle and the American flag burning in the fireplace. Now THAT would have been truth in advertising.

It would work except that none of the people you have mentioned have been relevant in decades.

I mean, they made an entire website to defend rumors like this so I would not call that “ignoring it.” They even said the website was to combat the slurs head-on. Seems pretty proactive, they are not ignoring it.

As for the cover itself, as I said in the other thread, I like it. It is making fun of the fear mongering faction of election politics. The cover is not mocking Obama, but talking about how ridiculous all of this is, which I agree. It is a shame that many people will not get this at all.

Why should Obama have to address this nonsense?

He can certainly ignore it if he wishes. I don't personally believe those things about him. However, I suspect there are certain people who actually do believe those things. Perception is reality, like it or not.

Guest sith lord
The cover is not mocking Obama, but talking about how ridiculous all of this is, which I agree. It is a shame that many people will not get this at all.

You're right, but that's the problem. It awakens fears about Obama's patriotism. The editors of the New Yorker had to know this.

I think the Obama Campaign just doesn't want to have this discussion' date=' and I've seen no evidence that McCain actually has a campaign at this point.[/quote']

If McCain's campaign is smart they will keep their mouths shut and stay out of this. Mainly because McCain's people seem to have the whole Open mouth insert foot thing going pretty good right now.

He can certainly ignore it if he wishes. I don't personally believe those things about him. However, I suspect there are certain people who actually do believe those things. Perception is reality, like it or not.

Again, I am completely lost on how he is ignoring it. He started a website dedicated to fighting this stuff head on. He addresses each one, provides evidences of the truth and dispels most of the viral rumors about him. This means that he has staff members whose only jobs are to deal with these internet rumors. They promoted the website a LOT, had press releases about it and did interviews on it.

If McCain's campaign is smart they will keep their mouths shut and stay out of this. Mainly because McCain's people seem to have the whole Open mouth insert foot thing going pretty good right now.

The article mentioned McCain's camp denounced the cover as well...

Again, I am completely lost on how he is ignoring it. He started a website dedicated to fighting this stuff head on. He addresses each one, provides evidences of the truth and dispels most of the viral rumors about him. This means that he has staff members whose only jobs are to deal with these internet rumors. They promoted the website a LOT, had press releases about it and did interviews on it.

Fair enough. He has done fairly well so far, but I will be a little disappointed if he doesn't address some of it in some sort of speech or town hall discussion or something at some point.

Archived