Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Keep your helmet on, love."

redman

I know the photo was posted before, but I thought it plus the article were funny. From Sky News:

MARINE'S MIRACLE ESCAPE

A Royal Marine Commando who was shot in the head four times - and survived - has been told by his fiancee: Keep your helmet on, love!

Eric Walderman's life was saved by his tough Kevlar helmet which stopped the bullets in their tracks.

A few inches lower and the 25-year-old would have become another casualty of war.

Eric came under fire while helping to drive Iraqi fighters from the southern port mof Umm Qasr.

His relieved partner, Lindsey Robinson, 25, said: "I can't believe it. He is so lucky to be alive. He's the luckiest man out there."

Lindsey, who has a two-year-old son by Eric, told Sky News the narrow escape will not make any difference to him.

"It won't affect him at all. He'll be laughing it off. He'll think it was a bit of a joke."

So did she have a message for him?

"Keep you head down and your helmet on! We all miss you and want you to come back safely."

Marine Walderman, from Taunton in Somerset, is part of 40 Commando's Alpha Company.

The former welder accomplished a life-long ambition by joining the Marines three years ago.

After 30 weeks training, he passed out on March 27, 2000, receiving the famous green beret.

He was also awarded the Commando Medal, the second highest commendation for new Marines, for being an outstanding new recruit.

He went to the Gulf on January 15.

Kevlar: The Facts

Kevlar is a polymer plastic fibre and was developed and manufactured by US firm DuPont in the mid-1960s.

Helmets made of Kevlar are 25%-40% more resistant to projectiles than their steel predecessors of equal weight.

Underwater, Kevlar is 20 times stronger than steel.

Kevlar body vests and helmets have saved the lives of more than 2,700 police and prison officers in the US alone, its manufacturers claim.

Kevlar military helmets replaced the "steel pot" helmet in the late 1970s.

Scientists still do not know fully why Kevlar is so strong but believe it is because of its molecular composition.

Last Updated: 12:53 UK, Thursday March 27, 2003

Originally posted by TheKurp

Still, you'd think the impact of 4 bullets against his cranium, Kevlar or no Kevlar, would have this guy popping Bayer like M&Ms.

Exactly. I'd expect a sore neck too. Still, it's better than the alternative . . .

From what I understand about Kevlar is that its strenght comes from being woven.

Its a carbon fiber that is woven like fabric. When used as body armor it is "pancaked" together in many different layers with the weave formations aligned differently in each successive layer. the "weave" is what makes it bullet resistant. Note here that it is resistant and not bullet proof.

A small caliber round fired at high velocity can penetrate the woven materials and actually go through it (like the standard NATO .223 round).

Archived