Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ever mod a PS3?

herrmag

Today at work, one of our divisions sent us a PS3 with Fedora loaded on it. I've never dealt with the PS3 architecture before, but I've been granted permission to take the PS3 home and figure out how to fix what they did. I assume that the "gaming OS" is fine, and simply the Linux partition is hosed.

That being said, does anyone have any good resources from people that have experience working with or mod'ing PS3's? I will obviously find info. on my own, though there won't be much time since I'll be renting MGS 4 from blockbuster tonight...You know, for research purposes......:paranoid:

I haven't personally installed Linux but I hear that Yellow Dog Linux works the best on the PS3. It allows you to use the WiFi and Bluetooth and runs much faster than other Linux distros. I got most of this info from ps3forums.com

Today at work, one of our divisions sent us a PS3 with Fedora loaded on it. I've never dealt with the PS3 architecture before, but I've been granted permission to take the PS3 home and figure out how to fix what they did. I assume that the "gaming OS" is fine, and simply the Linux partition is hosed.

That being said, does anyone have any good resources from people that have experience working with or mod'ing PS3's? I will obviously find info. on my own, though there won't be much time since I'll be renting MGS 4 from blockbuster tonight...You know, for research purposes......:paranoid:

It should be very easy to restore the PS3 back to it's original settings.

Just go to system setting on the xmb then select restore default setting or select restore PS3 system. Follow the directions.

You can also try the PS3 search that I created for info. Link to search listed below.

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=002702127081137796600%3Aws1vjn_9evw

I'd be interested to hear how that turns out. They probably installed an incompatible version of Fedora. Yellow Dog is supposedly the only version of Linux which will take advantage of HDTV displays which is why it was the preferred version for PS3. Yellow Dog is also built off of Fedora so they shouldn't be too different.

Okay, having some issues which may or may not be solely related to the PS3 that I'm using. I can't seem to get video at all on my TV. I held the power button down for 5 seconds to reset the video config's to default. The first time I tried this, it looked as though it worked. However, the controller would not work. So, like an idiot, I just shut down the system and rebooted. I no longer get any video, and haven't been able to do so since. Any suggestions? I know, vague. :(

Okay, having some issues which may or may not be solely related to the PS3 that I'm using. I can't seem to get video at all on my TV. I held the power button down for 5 seconds to reset the video config's to default. The first time I tried this, it looked as though it worked. However, the controller would not work. So, like an idiot, I just shut down the system and rebooted. I no longer get any video, and haven't been able to do so since. Any suggestions? I know, vague. :(

What type of T.V. are you using? SDTV or HDTV? What type of cables are you using? HDMI or the ones with the Red, White and Yellow ends? Was video working for you previously?

I have personally noticed that if you go from having the PS3 connected to a HDTV connected with HDMI cables to a SDTV connected with the Red Yellow White plugs that you will not get video. You'll have to go to settings to change the PS3 video output.

What type of T.V. are you using? SDTV or HDTV? What type of cables are you using? HDMI or the ones with the Red, White and Yellow ends? Was video working for you previously?

I have personally noticed that if you go from having the PS3 connected to a HDTV connected with HDMI cables to a SDTV connected with the Red Yellow White plugs that you will not get video. You'll have to go to settings to change the PS3 video output.

I'm on an HDTV using HDMI cables (I mean, come on, is there any other way? ;)).

That being said, how do I get to change the settings? That's my problem. No video = no access to settings. That's why I've tried repeatedly to default the video settings. It worked once, but doesn't seem to be working anymore. :(

do this bro:

1. make sure the ps3 is off.

2. disconnect the HDMI cable from the back of the PS3.

2. flip the power switch on the back to off

3. Unplug the PS3 from the power outlet and wait 60 seconds. (if you also have a network cable connected to the back, unplug that too)

4. After waiting for 60 seconds, plug the PS3 back in the power outlet.

5. Connect the HDMI to the back of the PS3.

6. Flip the power switch on the back of the PS3 to "on".

7. Press and HOLD the Power button in front of the PS3 for 5 seconds until it beeps twice.

your display settings will now reset...

also you mentioned that your controller wasn't moving the last time you turned on the ps3.

do this:

1. Connect the PS3 controller using it's USB cable to the PS3.

2. Press the "PS" button in the middle of the controller.

3. Wait 2 seconds and the controller will be synced up w/ the PS3.

4. You can now unplug the Controller from the USB cable and enjoy the wireless.

if you have further problems let us know! also, please specify which model PS3 you have (20, 40, 60, or 80Gb)... :)

Archived