Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Auburn's West Coast offense?

dfbovey

Everyone wants to point to those 2 RBs, but Auburn had a really good line that year (Marcus McNeil, Ben Grubbs are both first round picks from that line), and rotated in about 5 WRs/TEs that are in the NFL right now. It was an extremely talented offense all the way around. Pity Oklahoma got to play for the BCS instead. Auburn would have given USC a great game.

My point was that it's not like Jason was the field general of a TRUE west coast offense. None of those receivers that were on the 2004 Auburn team have done anything in the NFL.

This thread isn't about Jason's ability to play QB. We all know he is super talented, or else the team wouldn't have as much confidence in him as they do. I just don't see how his experience in 2004 handing the ball off to Caddy and Brown is going to help him in 2008. Yes, he put some games on his shoulders, and definitely deserved the SEC player of the year award after the season they had. That doesn't mean he is ahead of the game where the WCO is concerned.

:)

And yes, Auburn getting snubbed from playing in the Champ game that year was one of the biggest BCS blunders I can recall.

:cheers:

In Jason Campbell's senior year he ran a form of the WCO at Auburn. Does anyone know what the coaching tree is for the coordinator who ran that offense? Or how similar that offense might be to Mike Holmgren's in terms of terminology?

Trying to figure out if it might be an easier transition than we might think for Jason Campbell to ease into the offense Zorn will be running. I think it's a good thing that Campbell's most productive year in college was in a version of the WCO. Hopefully that will ring true as a pro as well.

Keep in mind that Jason Campbell and Anthony Mix might have an advantage and should benefit from their previous encounter with the WCO while at Auburn.

Archived