Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about LaVar's re-structuring

poidog22

Alright, I've read so many conflicting acticles, threads, etc. about how Lavar re-structured his contract to get the Cole's offer sheet under the cap for this season, I need to get some input on what we're doing here. How will this affect his salary cap numbers over the duration of his current contract and his future with the team? I've read that his cap hit is going to be so enourmous in the 2005 season that he's going to be a cap casualty a'la Stephen Davis this year, and I've also read that Snyder wants to sign him to a whole new contract. What the hell is going on here?!? Are we sacrificing one of the conerstone players on our team and perhaps the best LB in the league for a WR that may or may not be a rising star?

Any info. on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Arrington is earning the same amount of money this year that he was schedule to earn. The only difference being they changed it from salary to bonus.... which allows the Skins to prorate the bonus into the remaining years of his contract.

Essentially, Arrington's salary cap hit was reduced significantly this year.... but whatever we saved this season... will be pushed into the later years of the contract OR accelerated when Arrington gets released. SO... if he does get released... his cap hit will be that much greater (about $5million).

But before you panic... it's got nothing to do with renogiating Arrington contract specifically. Arrington contract was going to have to be renegotiated regardless because the escalator clauses in his rookie contract have gotten so ridiculous and his salary so high (around $7-8 million for the next 3 years) that he's going to count about $10+ million against our cap for the next few years.

Just like Stephen Davis... you can't have any player counting any more than about $6-8 million on your cap (and those hits should be reserved for maybe 1-2 players for each team). Arrington is going to have to renegotiate his original rookie contract because the salaries are unmanageable.

Thanks DH, I'm not as concerened as I was before, but it seems that Washington always seems to get themselves into this situation where the cap hit in the later years of their marquee players' contracts are so high that the front office has to re-negotiate, re-structure, etc. to keep that player (Davis)....seems to me like I don't hear a lot of this from other teams, (Philly, NYJ, etc.), but I suppose that's what we get for having a team owner that is as free-spending as Snyder is.

Thanks again. :gus:

Archived