Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vince McMahon Announces the Re-emergence of the XFL in the Spring of 2009.

Ron78

Say it isn’t so…Vince McMahon Announces the Re-emergence of the XFL in the Spring of 2009.

March 31, 2008 5:49 PM

Posted By ESPN. com’s Bill Williamson

14cr6aa.jpg

Well, here we go again. If you're reading this, you're likely just as shocked as the rest of the country about Vince McMahon’s announcement to revive his long-dead XFL Spring football league. Well, I'm with you. On the heels of yet another Spring league failure, the All American Football League, its difficult to understand what McMahon believes he will accomplish. Perhaps it's Vince McMahon's desire to rule the world, maybe it's his drive to prove his “naysayers” wrong, or is it the fact that McMahon's WWE Monday Night Raw show has consistently trounced Monday Night Football? For whatever absurd reason, Vince has decided to put on the helmet once again, and get his hands dirty on the football field.

On March 31, 2008, Vince McMahon, Chairman of publicly traded World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., announced to investors that the venerable "sports entertainment" cash cow was going to once again revive this failure of a football league, aptly named the XFL. While investors seemed to doubt the idea by evaporating 25% off the WWE stock, the stock has slightly bounced back to hover around $15, especially since McMahon has managed to strike up a 50-50 partnership with former TV partner Spike TV (formerly the TNN network); No small feat by any stretch of the imagination.

Now, I like Vince, perhaps not necessarily for whom he portrays on his "soap opera for men," but partially for his business acumen and mostly for his large cojones . Yes, Hulk Hogan and the Macho Man were huge in the 1980s, but it was McMahon's positioning of the Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Dwayne The Rock Johnson that once propelled the WWE into a league of its own.

Hey, no one ever pretends that the matches are real, but those "heated" dialogues between 200-pound men in tights is pure gold baby. It's true, it's true. I mean where would you find such loyalty among fans? Definitely not baseball, basketball, or even, well, football.

So, Vince, some are shouting, "No chance is what you've got." Why would you think differently? For one, McMahon has never cared much for his critics. Actually, he cares so much about them that he is driven to show them that he knows more about fan tastes, media trends, and delivering the kind of show that Americans, and increasingly worldwide fans, have come to expect. Maybe we should have seen this coming with McMahon’s recent announcement of an XFL Hall of Fame. Regardless, my predictions for the 2009 season are second-rate play and ridiculous theatrics.

Read the article here

Archived