Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My surprise pick for the Skins is Sam Baker, USC (MET)

Dirk Diggler

I've always been of the opinion that left tackle is the 2nd most important player on a team after QB....

I'm imagining a scenario where the top Dlineman and top CBs are off the board at 21. I, like many, am underwhelmed by the "top" receivers. In 2004, none of these clowns would have been drafted in the first round. A player like Baker reminds me of Derrick Deese, the 49ers left tackle from the late 90s/early 00s who was not physically imposing but always seemed to get the job done. I think the Skins could have this kid compete with Kendall for the starting left guard spot, and at worst be the 3rd swing tackle should anything happen to Samuels/Jansen. Ideally, he'd take over for Samuels in a 2-3 seasons and we'd have our LT spot locked down for another 10 years.

Here's some scoop...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=B336DBED14F073E018A6773218F7A70D?id=09000d5d8077579e&template=with-video&confirm=true

Sam Baker, USC

6-4½, 309, 49 college starts

Baker looks like he is the top prospect in the second round, but his 49 starts in major competition, all at left tackle, take a lot of the risk out of selecting him even higher. I spent time with Baker this week and he is unfazed by what people are saying about him in the draft; he knows he can play and is emotionally and physically ready to play in the league. One GM told me he likes Baker better at guard. With all the teams looking for a left tackle and the number of top tackle candidates heading to the right side, someone late in Round 1 is going to have to really think about taking this guy knowing there will be no one left the next time they select. His pro day on April 2 is critical to his final evaluation.

From PFW's Draft preview:

OT Sam Baker

(6’5, 309, 5.2) USC

Notes: Redshirted in 2003. Kicked outside from OG to LT and started all 13 games in 2004. Started all 26 at LT over the next 2 years. Underwent arthroscopic surgery to remove loose cartilage in his left knee prior to spring of ’07. Started all 10 games at LT in ’07 after missing 3 games with a strained hamstring. Named three-time first team all American while at USC, only the third Trojan ever to do so (joining Richard Wood and Matt Leinart). Surrendered just one sack in his college career. Did not work out at the combine due to a left MCL sprain.

Positives: Naturally athletic and plays with balance. Can steer and control defenders. Shows the agility to run downfield and pick up second and third level defenders. Quick and agile. Maintains good positioning and can mirror his man. Solid technician. Will run his feet on contact. Sets quickly in pass protection and can cut off the rush. Runs defenders wide of the pocket. Good enough anchor strength. Can pull and strike a moving target. Very competitive. Solid character.

Negatives: Has short arms and does not play with great leverage. Too passive. Not a great bender. Uses too much finesse. Not a glass-eater. Does not attempt to bury defenders. Does not generate a lot of movement. Can be driven into the hole. Not physical or aggressive. Does not play strong or explosive. Can be beaten off the snap.

Summary: May not be as physical, long-armed or powerful as teams desire, but he has been a four-year starter, does not get beat a lot and generally finds a way to get the job done. A big, finesse, passive pass protector, Baker has been a model of consistency on the left side. Will never be great in the run game but will start 10 years in the league and be solid.

hate to tell it to you,but samuels will be playing football and starting for atleast 4-5 years more barring catastrophic injury. he's still one of more athletic tackles in the game and is playing his best football right now under bugle.Have you seen samuels run block? the guy is one of the best driveblocking tackles in the game,and it looks like baker isn't that great of a run blocker even at the college level.

baker could potentially be available in the 2nd round. I'd be cool drafting him there,but there are gonna be many other BPA/need areas for the skins

and Brandon Albert IMO is a better prospect. Albert could potentially take over for Kendall this season and when Jansen or samuels move on he could take their spot.

I'd break out the pitch fork if the skins took baker at 21.

hate to tell it to you,but samuels will be playing football and starting for atleast 4-5 years more barring catastrophic injury. he's still one of more athletic tackles in the game and is playing his best football right now under bugle.Have you seen samuels run block? the guy is one of the best driveblocking tackles in the game,and it looks like baker isn't that great of a run blocker even at the college level.

You are talking to perhaps the biggest Samuels fan on the board. I think he's incredibly underrated, perhaps most of all by Skins fans. But I think that it's wishful thinking that he will be playing this well at 36. He'll likely be a Lomas Brown/Bob Whitfield marginally backup by then.

Baker's run-blocking and lack of bulk doesn't really bother me as much since we are switching to a true WCO offense. He fits just fine. Now, if Bill Cower were coach...

baker could potentially be available in the 2nd round. I'd be cool drafting him there,but there are gonna be many other BPA/need areas for the skins

No chance Baker is there in Round 2 (at the Skins pick). He wont fall out of the top 40 and could go as high as Pittsburgh/Seattle in Round 1. There will be a run on OTs in the top half of the first round and he'll go soon after the top 5 Olineman are off the board.

and Brandon Albert IMO is a better prospect. Albert could potentially take over for Kendall this season and when Jansen or samuels move on he could take their spot..

Agree he's a better prospect. I also feel strongly that he will be off the board somewhere between 14 and 19 rendering the Albert/Extremeskins love affair moot.

I'd break out the pitch fork if the skins took baker at 21.

A little strong. You might feel differently if Samuels or Kendall missed a month with a knee sprain.

sorry man, baker's been in free fall due to a sprained MCL. he didnt work out at the combine and I dont think he'll work out at USC's pro-day.

i really don't think OT is a position of need right now, Albert is much better since he can swing out to OT if necessary but fills a need with OG.

You are talking to perhaps the biggest Samuels fan on the board. I think he's incredibly underrated, perhaps most of all by Skins fans. But I think that it's wishful thinking that he will be playing this well at 36. He'll likely be a Lomas Brown/Bob Whitfield marginally backup by then.

Baker's run-blocking and lack of bulk doesn't really bother me as much since we are switching to a true WCO offense. He fits just fine. Now, if Bill Cower were coach...

No chance Baker is there in Round 2 (at the Skins pick). He wont fall out of the top 40 and could go as high as Pittsburgh/Seattle in Round 1. There will be a run on OTs in the top half of the first round and he'll go soon after the top 5 Olineman are off the board.

Agree he's a better prospect. I also feel strongly that he will be off the board somewhere between 14 and 19 rendering the Albert/Extremeskins love affair moot.

A little strong. You might feel differently if Samuels or Kendall missed a month with a knee sprain.

I don't picture Baker being a good prospect at guard in run blocking,if he can't dominate the 260&less pound DE's that are prominent in the college ranks he'll be dominated by the much bigger and nastier DT's in the NFL.

we already have veteran depth and a potential heir to jon jansen's RT spot in Stephon Hyer.

I look at the draft and if there's a run on tackles Baker could potentially be off the board along with albert before 21. and if there's such a run,BPA would obviously not be OT or OG. if Baker was BPA at 21 I'd be scared.

and the skins tend to draft BPA but at at need positions. landry/rogers/Taylor go along with that line of thinking. OT isn't as big a need position. if we're gonna draft an OT to be groomed as samuels replacement we'd be better off in the 2nd and 3rd.

for this draft IMO,

WR is a total and complete crap shoot for 1st rounders. I've seen mocks with Kelly at 11 and I've seen mocks with him falling into the mid 2nd. ditto for sweed. both have injury issues,IMO kelly has more medical red flags.Kelly's 2 gimpy knees>a slowly healing broken wrist for sweed.

vinny sounded lukewarm to sweed and probably feels less enthused about malcom kelly

Harvey and merling would be fine picks if they fall to 21. Keith Rivers could fall to if he doesnt go early and would be an amazing pick given rocky's knee issues and Marcus Washington's age and contract status.

predicting players is so much more complicated when you aren't picking in the top 10 :doh: :D

I think I'm coming off harsh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Baker if Samuels were alot older. If we didnt have Heyer, I'd be all over Baker, but I dont think there is a need really...

No worries dude.

And good point about Heyer. I think how they feel about a player like Heyer as a developmental prospect (i.e could he play both LT and RT at a high level?) would determine if they'd consider a tackle on the first day of the draft.

Could very well be DD - you know how this team likes versatile OL. That would obviously enable them to take the best CB or DE available. I'm not convinced they go DE, but it could very well be DT with Balmer, which would be fine by me :D

Balmer and then Baker - I think you could be spot on there Dirk. I like that.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15644

I'm curious as to why people want to get rid of Samuels so fast. The guy isn't even 31 years old and a lot of offensive linemen actually hit their prime at 31 or 32. Considering he's already a 5 time Pro Bowl player, that news is pretty exciting. If he can take care of his body, which I think he has been, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for us till he's 36 or 37 years old.

Because we already have two very solid starters (at worst) playing Guard, I think drafting a Guard in the first is a mistake. Drafting a guard this year is an absolute must and then let Buges develop him into a beast. But we NEED a starter for this year in the first round and Guard would not be filling that need.

Because we already have two very solid starters (at worst) playing Guard, I think drafting a Guard in the first is a mistake. Drafting a guard this year is an absolute must and then let Buges develop him into a beast. But we NEED a starter for this year in the first round and Guard would not be filling that need.
Looking at draft history, almost every first round OL starts sometime in his first season. Many start all 16 games. I saw a few that didn't start any games their first year - one that started less than 8 games was an OL who broke his leg in the first game. But it was the first game of the season and he started that one.

It's interesting to see how many 1st round OL have 32 games started in their second year, 40+ in their third. I only went back 5 years but I found one first round OL who started all 80 games.

So if the Skins need a starter, it appears the odds say that drafting a first round guard would give you that starter since most of the other first round OL picked started. Here's the stats.

Name (Position) (Pick) Games started and injuries of note

Joe Thomas (Tackle) (3) 16 Games Started in Rookie year for Browns - no injuries

Levi Brown (Tackle (5) 11 Games Started in Rookie year for Cardinals (injured 4 games)

Joe Staley (Tackle) (28) 16 Games Started in Rookie year for 49ers - no injuries

Ben Grubbs (Guard) (29) 12 Games Started in Rookie year for Ravens - no injuries

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Tackle) (4) 32 Games Started in 2 years for Jets - no injuries

Davin Joseph (Guard) (23) 28 Games Started in 2 years for Bucs (12 in 2006 16 in 2007) injuries - out one game - knee

Nick Mangold (Center) (29) 32 Games Started in 2 yeears for Jets - injury - calf questionable for one game

Jammal Brown (Tackle) (13) 43 Games Started in 3 years for Saints - injuries to ankle, knee listed as questionable 5 weeks and day to day one week

Alex Barron (Tackle) (19) 43 Games started in 3 years with Rams - injuries to thumb kept him out 3 games rookie year

Chris Spencer (Center) (26) 29 Games Started in 3 years, 0 GS in rookie season - Shoulder and oblique injuries but no games missed

Logan Mankins (Guard) (32) 48 Games Started in 3 years for Pats, no injuries

Robert Gallery (Tackle) (2) 57 Games Started in 4 years for Raiders - shoulder and groin injuries listed as Probable

Shawn Andrews (Tackle) (16) 48 Games Started in 4 years for Eagles- IR after first game of rookie year with broken leg

Vernon Carey (Tackle) (19) 48 Games Started in 4 years for Dolphins - 2 Starts rookie year - listed as probable after 2 injuries

Jordan Gross (Tackle) (8) 80 Games started in 5 years for Panthers - 2 minor injuries always listed as probable

George Foster (Tackle) (20) 48 Games started in 5 years with Broncos - 0 his rookie year and relegated to 2nd string 2007

Jeff Faine (Center) (21) 66 Gmes Started in 5 years, first 3 year swith Browns (32 Starts) 30 Starts in last 2 years with Saints; various injuries ending with IR in each if 1st 3 seasons; healthy last two years

Kwame Harris (Tackle) (26) 44 Games started in 5 years with 49ers. Lost starting job in 2007; few injuries of note

• 1 year later...

Archived